Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing DVDs on Media Player - I need a decoder?

• 06-06-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

Ok I'm not the greatest at technology but I give it a go, and my lingo wont be up to speed, but basically I have a DVD of a video, which my Dad transferred from a normal handheld video camera. When I autoplay it on either Windows Media Player 11 or RealPLayer, it gives me an error message that

"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer", and a choice of either 'close' or 'web help'. Then the help tells me the options to download a decoder, but you have to buy them all. Are there any free decoders out there to download? If I get a decoder, should this allow the dvd to play?

Ultimately I want to be able to put this on a website or on YouTube and I'm not too sure how I'll be able to do that, if anyone can help me.

Funny thing is, my work computer that I'm using is pretty new, and the one down the hall is older, yet that allows the dvd to play in Media Player! Should I just use that pc and try and fo the uploading from there?

It is kind of urgent so if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

How did you create the DVD? The compression you used is obviously the problem. Can you reencode the video and use something like Quicktime this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

thanks for the reply
    my dad did it, and just used a dvd recorder, blank dvd and recorded from the video camera.
    I dont know how to reencode the video, but I will try opening it with quicktime and see if that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Chances are you don't have a DVD player such as WinDVD or PowerDVD installed.
    Windows by default cannot play a DVD without an external decoder being installed.
    More than likely the other older PC has something installed that can decode DVD.
    Install a trial version of WinDVD or PowerDVD and WMP can use the DVD decoding abilities of either to display the DVD.
    Alternatively you could install VLC Media Player ;)

Edit;
    Here is a MS article explaining the problem
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0072.mspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

thanks a million, I downloaded the free trial from corel windvd and it is now loading.
    is it possible to save this file and upload to a website or youtube?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

When the trial ends, you might like to use a free alternative, such as VLC (www.videolan.org). It'll install codecs to allow you view DVDs.

You could upload to YouTube. You'll need to create an account. I think videos are limited to 10 minutes to stop people uploading entire shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

VLC won't install codecs - everything in it is internal. i.e. you will only be able to play DVDs inside VLC, Windows Media Player/Media Centre will rely on a codec being installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I strongly endorse VLC player for running DVDs. It was introduced to me as a way to play DVDs in any region, and it turns out its just a lot faster than the vast majority of other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Stephen wrote: »
    VLC won't install codecs - everything in it is internal. i.e. you will only be able to play DVDs inside VLC, Windows Media Player/Media Centre will rely on a codec being installed.
    I was implying playing the DVD in VLC itself. Should have stated that.

Advertisement