Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level maths.... quite a nasty paper one...

Options
  • 06-06-2008 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I don't do questions 4 and five, but I heard they weren't nice either.... but i don't think the part cs from questions 2,6 an 7 are even on the course, the c from question 8 took some time as well... all the as and bs were alright though really....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

aww i thought that was a lovely paper actually.. parc in qs 2 and 5 were a bit tricky..
    but other wise all were fine :) hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Some hards parts alright but overall im happy enough. Didnt seem that much harder than previous years. I did Qs 1,2,3,5,6,7,8

Did so bad in Q1 I had to go and do Q5 aswell. Hadnt revised for Q5 but was still able to get the A's and B's out.

Complex numbers was quite nice as was diff.

Q2(C) WTF! ???

3 down 7 to go. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sugarplum_fairy

Yuugib wrote: »
    aww i thought that was a lovely paper actually.. parc in qs 2 and 5 were a bit tricky..
    but other wise all were fine :) hopefully

really? no id have to agree with the first poster, didn't think it was nice at all...! with the exception of complex numbers - lovey question! but part c of 7 and 6 were harsh. c's in q 1 and 8 took a bit of work too. ill agree that most of the b and a parts were nice, even though i afterwards realised i screwed one of two of them up... whoops! oh well. fingers crossed for paper two now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The sequences and series question was very easy, and very quick to do. Q5 was a lot harder than a usually is, particularly the tedious proof at the end. Altogether I thought the paper was very manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I thought it was a great paper. I did 1-3 and 6-8. Only thing that really gave me trouble was 7c, cúnt of a yoke. I think I did 2c right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 penguinbars

Paper 2 better be a dream paper for me to scrape a B...

I hate when you come out of an exam,thinking it was pretty hard,and everyone else in your A1-driven class is like "lovely paper,wasnt it??"
    Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I had time to attempt all, though I know for a fact I stuffed up integration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Yes, of course it was manageable.

However, two weeks ago I saw and did the 2007 paper for the first time, I got it finished in less than 2 hours and my teacher corrected it later and I got 93%!!!

We would like a bit of consistency! Except for the complex numbers, that was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

I think I got 21 1/6 for Q8 C , that sound right to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I found it quite good but some of the part c's were quite tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I did everything except 4 (I hate sequences and series!). 2(c) was a bit of a b*tch, not to mention... 7(c) methinks? The one where you had to find the range of values for c.

It wasn't awful, but it wasn't excellent. Made a bit of a mess out of 8(c) but I think I fixed it up in time. Some of the differentiation was a bit difficult, very tricky. Used up about two or three pages of just scribbled out notes...

Come on paper two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

The (a) and (b) parts were very nice this year.

Q2 (c) was a bit more abstract than what I was expecting on the paper.

Q3 was a pretty awful question. It was just so uninspired on their part. Very straightforward though.

Q4 was a nice enough

Q5 (c) was messy.

The calculus questions were nice enough.

Burner- wrote: »

I got 23/6. Hmmm... now i'm slightly worried.

I got 6 for 8, part c)

It's a round enough number and it looked alright by my diagram, but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Burner- wrote: »

omg plz tell me what do you do with that qestion like,
    i got -1 and 3 for x then what do you do ?

please please tell me how do you do that question
    -___-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Anyone remember getting

-17 (greater than or equal to) c (greater than or equal to) -53

for 6 (c)?

I found it okay. Hopefully I'll get my honour.
    There were a few small things along the way I just blanked on, like the the integration b(ii). Spent ages looking at it, couldn't figure it out at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

My thoughts on it...

Q1- a part ok i think but im not sure if i finished it fully. what did ye do for the b part?? Didnt really no what to do!! And for the c part i hadnt a clue either, i got as far as dividing the factors into the equation but after that i just left it.

Q2- the a part...it couldn't have been that easy could it?? i did it in my head!! I must hav missed summat!! b part was grand, not sure on the answer i got for part ii tho!! C part.... WTF??!?!? :eek:

Q3- part a, beautiful. i think i messed up part b though i never really got comple nos!! Proof was lovely, what an easy 20 marks.

Q6- part a- haha the simple parts always catch me out! Was it 2rootx?? part b looked AWFUL but it was easy enough, basic laws of indices. c part i tink i got part i right, but part ii baffled me.

Q7- again i cant do the easy ones!! i got 2+2cos2x which im fairly unsure of for a. The b was ok, as long as you remembered to use the product rule!! Part c....went right over my head!!

Q8- (my worst q always) i think i messed up the a here as well. :( couldn't do the b parts either, even though i know it was function/derivative..i just couldn't make it work. couldn't do c here either, i had been hopin for volumes of revolution or 2 curves intersecting, i couldn't remember how to do the one with the line!!

Am, it was ok i suppose, not as bad as i was expecting, i think i scraped a pass anyways. anyone hav answers 2 compare??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

For the area in 8c i got 32/3 and the biggest maths nerd in my year got it too. :pac:

For the values of c, i got -20 up to +7. Aforementioned nerd got that too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Anyone mind terribly scanning up a copy of the paper? I'd be very grateful :rolleyes:

Q7- again i cant do the easy ones!! i got 2+2cos2x which im fairly unsure of for a.
    Thats what I got :rolleyes:

For the area on 8c I got 14 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

how do u diff e^-x

is it e^-x

omg i am screwed , am doing that paper later ...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

not too bad.

anyone get else 1/1+x^2
    for part(c) inverse sin calculus q???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

I'm thinking now that in the inverse sine differentiation, instead of doing a GIANT chain rule like I did, I could have constructed a right-angled triangle and gotten it as a nice inverse tan.

I got 1/1+x², but it took ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Thats what I got :rolleyes:
    :(

o yippee!! do u hav any more answers????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Qu1-lovely
    Qu2- i think i strted the c part right, but didnt finish it out dammit, hopefully itll get me something....
    Qu3- lovely
    Qu6- had an extra e in the part b, got some values for c, but def not those ones^
    Qu7- grand
    Qu8- fine except for the area, i didt split it up enough :(

Overall, i'm not in tears, but I'm not laughing either. Major paper2 for the weekend

Adventure wrote: »

anyone get else 1/1+x^2
    for part(c) inverse sin calculus q???
    Yep !! :D

Parsley wrote: »
    For the values of c, i got -20 up to +7. Aforementioned nerd got that too. :D

I did too, but the line wouldn't have crossed the x axis three timesif c was less than -7 or something.... I think. It was a tough question and any decent attempts will score next to full marks I would say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

~Candy~ wrote: »
    how do u diff e^-x

is it e^-x

omg i am screwed , am doing that paper later ...

Chain rule. You diff -x to get -1 and multiply it by e^-x.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Anyone mind terribly scanning up a copy of the paper? I'd be very grateful :rolleyes:

it will be up here soon enough if you can wait

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=exam

• Advertisement

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

It should be up on examinations.ie soon.

Advertisement