Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level maths.... quite a nasty paper one...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

muffinman wrote: »
    I'm pretty disappointed.. Was hoping for an A1 but that seems unlikely now..
    Q1 and Q3 were definitely 50m each for me.. Did them in 10 mins each.. But 2c, 7c, 8bii and 8cii lost me marks.. I'll get attempts but nothing major

woah... that sounds exactly like how my paper went... freaky
    except for the disappointed part... i was happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Did anyone else think that this years paper one was soooomuch harder than last years paper one?

I mean last year's 2 pasrt c was on simple inequalities, this year it's on an abstract part of the course.

The last part of their graph question could be answered in words, we had a nice complex calculation...

And their integration graph was only on one side of the axis...

Isn't it a bit unfair to have it fluctuating like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

I got the same as you for 1(a), and (b)(i) but for (b)(ii) i got 322 not 233!
    I think I got the same for 5 (a) as well.
    I can't remember anything else!

it was actually 322 :) made a mistake while typing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I was quite happy with that paper :)

I need a C3 for my course, and got a D3 in my mocks. But I've been studying hard and thought this was a nice paper anyway. I calculated that I got between 70% and 80% :D

Which means I'll have to fail paper 2 to not get that C3 haha

I looooved question 1. 50 marks right there

I'm looking forward to the probability and statistics questions on paper 2. Not looking forward to the option question though at all. Still not sure if I'll try learn the probability one over this weekend or just stick with the Q8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

I thought this was the easiest paper 1 i have ever done. Could do all the A's and B's and all C's except 2,5 and 7. I was delighted.I did 7 questions and hap about 20 mins to spare. I hope paper2 doesn't bring me down by loads!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

I just realised i forgot to put my calculator model on the exam paper
    this isnt a big deal is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

delta214 wrote: »

Don't worry about it. You'll still pass if you get 80% on paper 2. It doesn't neccessarily matter that your paper 1 is invalid.

Nah I'm just being a twat, it's not a big deal. If you did something suspicious like doing complicated integration without writing down your steps then it could be a problem but if you haven't done anything to suggest you used an illegal calculator, you should be fine.

delta214 wrote: »

ya me too! Doubt it matters though,if you put it on paper2 it will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Coolcool. Actually come to think of it i dont think i really used it. Cept to calculate my marks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

1,3,4,7 easy especially 1 and 3, 4 was also very easy if you could remember your series notation (Sn of r squared etc...)
    6c. ended up as a simple inequality if you were able to see it something that would be one half of a b in the algebra q's
    2c was a bit abstract but the hint they gave really cleared things up

8c however was incredibly tedious it was actually like having to do two full seperate area questions and then adding together...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭glenn3ie

Q1 - Grand 50m
    Q2 - Yeah was OK except part C 30m
    Q3 - Over all was grand.. Couldn't remember how to finish off the induction 45m
    Q6 - Everything grand except Cii - 43m
    Q7 - Once again everything grand.. Part C was tricky - definitely got good attempt marks - 43m
    Q8 - Meh. Part A was grand. B was tricky compared to other years. Attempt marks definitely. Part C was tricky once again.. Sorta got it out though - 30m

Did Q5 as an option - 15m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 John__Galway

awful awful paper in comparision 2 last years!! what were they thinkingin the last part of q1...we r doing pass 4 a reason... was dat even on our course... Everyone is telling me to complain to the exam commision saying how hard nd nerveracking it was and they might mark it alot easier!! start sending n yer letters of complaint!!!

awful awful paper in comparision 2 last years!! what were they thinkingin the last part of q1...we r doing pass 4 a reason... was dat even on our course... Everyone is telling me to complain to the exam commision saying how hard nd nerveracking it was and they might mark it alot easier!! start sending n yer letters of complaint!!!

read the thread title,it says HIGHER level maths. You must be doing foundation level english;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

nyangnyang wrote: »
    You must be doing foundation level english;)

No such thing... His message was kinda relevant except for the bit where he said "pass"

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

read the thread title,it says HIGHER level maths. You must be doing foundation level english;)

Maybe I'm being hypocritical, but don't be such a mean-spirited troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

I need some help score calculating!

1 - 50 (If I don't lose neatness marks!)
    2 - 50
    3 - 40 (Screwed up on C a bit, don't even know what an Argand Diag is!)
    4 - I got something like "3" for (a)? Got (b). Got the first bit of (c)(i), and half of c(ii) - This means?
    5 - 30 for (a) & (b), but what about (c)? Was it something like prove Un+1/Un = Un/Un-1 was impossible? If so, This means?
    6 - 45

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

fivetwenty wrote: »
    I need some help score calculating!

1 - 50 (If I don't lose neatness marks!)
    2 - 50
    3 - 40 (Screwed up on C a bit, don't even know what an Argand Diag is!)
    4 - I got something like "3" for (a)? Got (b). Got the first bit of (c)(i), and half of c(ii) - This means?
    5 - 30 for (a) & (b), but what about (c)? Was it something like prove Un+1/Un = Un/Un-1 was impossible? If so, This means?
    6 - 45

Neatness marks wtf?? My script was a mess:(

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Neatness marks wtf?? My script was a mess:(

Well, at the front it says "Marks will be lost for unclear work" - Mine wasn't exactly clear, but I hope they realise that I got the message, I just don't know how to convert maths into words sometimes.

No such thing... His message was kinda relevant except for the bit where he said "pass"
    i was only messing btw,lol never knew there was no foundation english!

i was only messing btw,lol never knew there was no foundation english!

There is, it's called illiteracy but they usually do LCA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ShogunWarrior

fivetwenty wrote: »
    Well, at the front it says "Marks will be lost for unclear work" - Mine wasn't exactly clear, but I hope they realise that I got the message, I just don't know how to convert maths into words sometimes.

Well it says "Marks will be lost if all necessary work is not clearly shown."

Don't worry, really, they've seen everything from hoards of crossed-out solutions to solutions crammed into the corners of pages as a last scramble.
    If it's on the page and it's right it'll get the marks. "Clearly shown" is mainly so people aren't just giving the answer without showing work I think.

Advertisement