Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campagnolo turns it up to 11, revives Super Record

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is that the sound of chains snapping.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

tunney wrote: »
    Is that the sound of chains snapping.............

Isn't that what everyone said when the 10 speed group sets started coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

cantalach wrote: »
    Isn't that what everyone said when the 10 speed group sets started coming out?

yes. and 7 speed, 8 speed etc.

eventually they'll be right though.

11's a wierd number though. don't like it. i'll wait for 12 to come round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

edit: just read first post :)

Raam wrote: »
    This is starting to remind me of what Gillette are doing with razorblades.

that's exactly what i was thinking.
    this:
    106175380_98e79dcf43_m.jpg
    will make the lives of cyclists so much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

niceonetom wrote: »
    11's a wierd number though. don't like it. i'll wait for 12 to come round.
    If you wait for 15, then you won't need a front mech. Think of the weight savings man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

A 21 speed rear hub will do me just fine -maybe then a triple won't be needed for the Etape :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

shimano are bringing out a continuously variable gearing system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

shimano are bringing out a continuously variable gearing system

Here's one already out http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=2686

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sean_K wrote: »

4,100 grams :eek:

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    4,100 grams :eek:
    Yea, it's a heavy yoke, it's completely filled with fluid. Pretty clever piece of engineering though. Would definitely earn a bit of geek respect;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

So I guess this one goes to 11? :D

it doesn't matter how many times i see that clip, it's still funny.

what's that white powder that rob reiner wipes out of shot at the beginning? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Diarmuid wrote: »
    So I guess this one goes to 11? :D

got there before me...funniest clip (and film) ever...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Some pics of Super Record here. Looks very, ummm, stealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »

I'll bet it still changes gears, just like everything before it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Yea, it's a heavy yoke, it's completely filled with fluid. Pretty clever piece of engineering though. Would definitely earn a bit of geek respect;)

I just ordered one of these from that very shop. Should have it next week.

el tonto wrote: »

I think it looks rather ugly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, it does look a bit ugly. Wouldn't mind seeing it in the flesh though before passing final judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

How it works:

• Advertisement

Big write up here at Cyclingnews with all the details. They're discontinuing Xenon and Mirage, which is a shame, because I thought they were better entry level groups than the Shimano stuff.

penexpers wrote: »
    I just ordered one of these from that very shop. Should have it next week.
    Did you get this in the end?

How is it?

Did you get this in the end?

How is it?

It came a few weeks ago. It's very heavy. Should be building the wheel for it this week and I should have the frame to put it on sometime next month.

One thing I will say is it could do with better instructions. Should have better review in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

The claimed weights of each groupset are slightly lighter than before with Chorus at 2145g, Record at 2015g, and Super Record at 1964g. Record is predicted to retail at 2 percent less than the current 10-speed while Super Record is projected to be 17 percent higher......

Built up my Battaglin this year and put on Record shifters and derailleurs, chorus carbon u/t crankset. I will never be upgrading! - unless Lotto win comes along or bike is stolen!

Yes, I only got mine in January, so while it would be nice to have the latest and greatest, I would have a hard time justifying it.

I heard recently that the new Veloce and Centaur have abandoned the old Escape design are now back to the older set up that allows multiple upshifts with the thumb button. Big plus in my book. I have yet to come across anyone who thought the Escape thing was a good idea.

Still surprised that they quit they quit the entry level. I know they were being hammered by Shimano, but it is still a huge market. Im wondering now if they might launch entry level groupsets under the Fulcrum brand. They seem to have done very well with OEM sales on Fulcrum wheels and might try and repeat that success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

The whole thing is a consumer rip off.... Maybe justified if you have a sponsor!
    My Chorus set up from 7 years ago is almost identical in feel and operation to Record from 2008.
    Why didn't Campag make a 12 speed system, if their research indicated riders wanted more cogs?????? Oh, wait, thats for 2012 release.....

Advertisement