Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 88

• 06-06-2008 12:38pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems as its the 20th anniversary I don't think we can let it go without some comment.I was only a wee lad of 8 when the tournament was on but I can still remember it as clear as if it was yesterday.What great times and what a super team we had looking back.

The atmosphere in Dublin was electrifying and as a kid pure magical.There was not a house on my road without some kind of flags or bunting.

On the football side,its a shame we did not progress out of the group but with only 8 teams in the tournament it was always going to be a struggle.I was looking for the goals on YouTube but it seems UEFA have had most of the Euro 88 clips taken down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It was a cracking tournament. I was 8 too :)

I'll never forget my dad ranting that the Holland goal against Ireland was offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The tournament saw the greatest volley of all time.......Van Basten's wasn't bad either :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That was when Marco became my all-time football hero. Best striker to ever play the game imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

To put it in perspective we were 8 mins from the semi-final of what is arguably the toughest tournament in International football.

Had we made it thru there was nothing to suggest we couldn't have gone all the way and won it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

DesF wrote: »
    That was when Marco became my all-time football hero. Best striker to ever play the game imo.

Same for me. Absolute legend. He finished at 26 if i remember correctly. Whenever you hear anyone talk about a top class striker, he should be the yardstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I was nine and I remember this tournament more clearly than the 2004 European Championship. I remember not being able to watch the last 10 minutes of the game against Holland!

Also, I found my Euro 88 panini sticker album the other day. I only am missing 5 stickers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

ibh wrote: »
    Same for me. Absolute legend. He finished at 26 if i remember correctly. Whenever you hear anyone talk about a top class striker, he should be the yardstick.

Think he was 29 when he finished, he was only 24 in Euro'88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Take it out of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I remember the open top bus going through O connell Street, and the cops on the bikes just about keeping the crowds from going under the wheels.

But ray oughton was singing "who put the ball in the english net - I did", it was fantastic. I actually got a hold of an Ireland cap that was thrown from the bus, not sure what player it belonged to though, it was cherished for many years.

I was 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Was out the shed there last week in the Ma's, and she still had the commemorative Euro '88 milk bottles. It was to co-incide with the Dublin Milenium, ah the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus was 18 during this doing my Leaving Cert.

I remember the day of the England match vividly. Watched it at home with the parents and one of my mates from the neighbourhood. Going bezerk when Ray put the ball in the English net then every time Liniker went near the Irish goal we were having heart attacks and nearly ripping the fabric off the sofa.

At half time we ran out onto the street to chat to all the others around the place. Found some old lad, pissed and in bits sitting on the grass verge outside the house. Turns out he was in the pub and some English lad gave him odds of 3-1 that Ireland couldn't beat England. He put his whole weeks wages down in a bet and couldn't stay in the pub because of nerves and too scared to go home in case the wife sussed he had wagered the weeks grocery money. He had gone after the final whistle and I always wondered what the conclusion to that story was.

Ah good times indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Was doing a college course in Dun laoighre and the exam fell on the same day as the game...so I skipped the exam, Sure it had to be done:D
    I would have failed anyway, but thats a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Remember it well. I was 7. Was outside the ground for the England and Russia games and was at the Holland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I was there:)...and it is the main reason I am now here (on a soccer forum). It had such an impact on me that I have immersed myself in football ever since.

It is still the best holiday of my life. My Dad and his best friend brought both families over in a 30ft camper they bought at auction 2 weeks before the tournament started:D So, off we set, by ferry, in the camper with a family tent also(11 altogether:eek:) through England, France, Belgium and Germany.
    I was at the England and USSR games but we couldn't get tickets outside the stadium for the Holland game:(
    I've been to most Ireland games at home and a few away since '88 and never saw them lose live until Spain at Lansdowne in '93. I honestly thought back then it was our fault Ireland lost in '88 to the Dutch because we weren't at the game!

I was only 8 but remember it as clear as day...so many great stories and memories from the whole trip...I distinctly remember myself and younger brother being hoisted up by fellow Irish fans when Houghton scored and being literally thrown from one fan to another in celebration! We ended up halfway across the terrace from our Dad. It was a mixture of euphoria and fear! My Mam still doesn't know about that to this day:D
    Christ, I could go on for hours about the whole thing:o

We would have went to Italia '90 too but my Dad said if we were drawn with England and had to play on the islands then it was a non runner. And of course we all know what happened....feckin English hooligans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ah ya, it was great to be finally involved in a Finals tournament for once in 1988. As for the England victory one of my most treasured videos is my recording of the match on Network 2 that day (Sunday June 12th). I remember Don Givens being the only one on the panel beforehand saying we would win. And weren't the closing fifteen minutes the longest ever? I'd swear the clock went backwards a couple of times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Something not often mentioned about Ronnie Whelan's sublime volley was that there was a Mexican wave going on when it happened! A bloody Mexican wave!

People, obviously, still thought it was a fun and groovy activity. It hadn't yet become despised as the ultimate indication of crowd non-involvement in a match.

Anyway, as a result quite a few people in the ground missed the goal. They were too busy making eejits of themselves and staring at the back of somebody else's head and hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ah yes Euro 88. 1 year before i was born.

I remember it well... From RTE archives and Christy Moore songs. Man i wish i was alive for that.:(

Advertisement