Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is sepp blatter trying to ruin english football

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Savman wrote: »
    So, pray tell, will Irish players be considered as "foreign" in the Premiership?
    Ha! Only in Ireland! :D.
    In case it had escaped your attention, they (and we) already are foreign. Old Sepp doesn't have to wave a magic wand to make them so.
    Never mind. We'll have a special derogation just 'cos we're Irish and the greatest little faneens in the world, with our lovely ManU and Liverpool tricolours and us bein' great at the ould singin.
    A bit like the VRT and the 12.5% corporation tax. Otherwise, it'll defo be no to Lisbon! :mad: Or yes. Bejaysus, I'm all confused now. :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

DSB wrote: »
    To be fair 300 players would fill the first team quotas, for 50 clubs. I suspect that the 170 players quoted are only those who play regularly enough for their sides also, which would balance out the obvious need for English substitutes too.
    Blatter's rule says there must be 6 national players in the matchday XI so it stands to reason that a squad would need at least 12 national players in the squad. Given that the foreign element would not be able to replace the national players in the event of injuries or suspensions, each team would realistically need 15 national players or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Blatter's rule says there must be 6 national players in the matchday XI so it stands to reason that a squad would need at least 12 national players in the squad. Given that the foreign element would not be able to replace the national players in the event of injuries or suspensions, each team would realistically need 15 national players or more.

Yeah but by the same logic there would be more than 5 foreigners in a squad also.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but there'd still need to be 15+ domestic players per squad, which means 300+ in the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

At least this rule would finally convince the BBC pundits and the likes that England aren't as good internationnally as they think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SantryRed wrote: »
    At least this rule would finally convince the BBC pundits and the likes that England aren't as good internationnally as they think they are.

You obviously have not been watching then BBC lately.

DSB wrote: »
    You're still Irish.

and he can still love English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

mormank wrote: »
    how would most teams in other countries coast through this??? real madrid only have 3 spanish players in their startin 11. barca have 4. Man utd have 5 and can easily stretch that figure to 6. i think italy would be the least effected.

You're looking at the big fish. These teams have always recruited the best players, which often are foreigners. And it is these teams, be they United or Madrid, that will be able to cope with the rule.

However, move down the table and that's where it will affect the EPL. Mid table English sides have allowed themselves to over rely on foreign imports.

I don't know the exact reason for it, but mid-table sides from Europe's other leagues haven't fallen into this trap. Perhaps it's the money factor. Unlike the EPL, TV deals in most of the other top European leagues are not spread evenly, and the teams outside of the top 4 often get a pittance. Therefore, they have to rely on homegrown talent more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

You're looking at the big fish. These teams have always recruited the best players, which often are foreigners. And it is these teams, be they United or Madrid, that will be able to cope with the rule.

However, move down the table and that's where it will affect the EPL. Mid table English sides have allowed themselves to over rely on foreign imports.

I don't know the exact reason for it, but mid-table sides from Europe's other leagues haven't fallen into this trap. Perhaps it's the money factor. Unlike the EPL, TV deals in most of the other top European leagues are not spread evenly, and the teams outside of the top 4 often get a pittance. Therefore, they have to rely on homegrown talent more.

ya your probably right here actualy. am i wrong in suggesting that up until recently in the spanish league you were only allowed to field 3 non EU players on matchday?? maybe this has something to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

It will be challenged by the first player left sitting on the bench because he's a non-national and he will win. It is a restraint of a players right to work within the EU, plain and simple. Limit the number of foreign players on the pitch and you will limit the amount in a club's squad.

nothings stopping them doing their job, which is to train for the football and play if picked

if theyre picked in the 5, they play, if theyre not, they still get paid because theyre still doing their job

theres NOTHING stopping clubs employing as many foreign players as they like

Limiting the number of foreign players allowed in a matchday team directly influences who the club will decide to employ, therefore it IS illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Helix wrote: »
    nothings stopping them doing their job, which is to train for the football and play if picked

if theyre picked in the 5, they play, if theyre not, they still get paid because theyre still doing their job

theres NOTHING stopping clubs employing as many foreign players as they like

You're looking at this like it's black and white, it's not. We all know that this rule will reduce the employment opportunities of foreign players. Yes, technically they can still be employed, but, the rule does restrict that opportunity on the sole basis of nationality. This is how the ECJ will see it, I guarantee you this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Great news, I hate English football. Lets just hope Seppo pulls it off.

tdv wrote: »

It is not exclusive to English clubs, do you hate Irish football also,because this is likely to impact big time on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It is not exclusive to English clubs, do you hate Irish football also,because this is likely to impact big time on them.

Couldnt care what happens to the Irish league have no intrest in it what so ever.

As long as the English league suffers I'll be happy enough.

• Advertisement

Couldnt care what happens to the Irish league have no intrest in it what so ever.

And the Irish national team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

and he can still love English football.

lol what are ya like? We are Irish, it's our duty not to like anything English like ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

And the Irish national team?

If people cared about the Irish national team theyd put their money into Irish football instead of making the FAI go to tax dodgers to pay for stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Seriously lads this whole "why should we love anything English" mentality doesn't wash, so enough already. Go thru your own CD collections, if you possess or love anything other than U2, Aslan, The Cranberries, The Corrs, Westlife or Boyzone then you are a traitor to your motherland :rolleyes:
    If you own music from an English artist and/or support "foreign" artists by buying astronomically priced tickets to their concerts, yet still complain about the "foreign league" in England then you are the very definition of a hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Are you even a football fan ?

As for the 5 nationals rule, All the big clubs will learn to live with it in time. Something like this was used before.
    This will affect the smaller Countries , their clubs and their International Teams, which includes Ireland .
    How will it affect the Irish League and its clubs if they start losing €€€€'s in transfers every year from the English Leagues as young Irish players would be seen a foreign .
    A Irish International Team made up of all Irish based players :( No Thank You.
    Its just not good enough and before people start saying that's the idea. Players stay at home and the standard levels rise, I don't agree with this as I think our young players standard levels are helped and improved by moving to and playing in a better league . Training and working everyday with better Players ,Coaches , Staff and Managers develops our young players to the next level .Something they will not achieve staying at home IMO ,

oh and is Blatter anti-premiership ......Yes
    This new rule was never mentioned when Spanish , Italian or German sides where dominating Europe.

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    A Irish International Team made up of all Irish based players :( No Thank You

id take that over the current irish national team any day in a flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Seriously lads this whole "why should we love anything English" mentality doesn't wash, so enough already. Go thru your own CD collections, if you possess or love anything other than U2, Aslan, The Cranberries, The Corrs, Westlife or Boyzone then you are a traitor to your motherland :rolleyes:
    If you own music from an English artist and/or support "foreign" artists by buying astronomically priced tickets to their concerts, yet still complain about the "foreign league" in England then you are the very definition of a hypocrite.
    here here i posted this thread and ive been berated with snide comments basically from educated people who sould know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

i think the headline says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Well done on a totally irrelevant analogy

gustavo wrote: »
    Well done on a totally irrelevant analogy

not really based on an earlier post although I feeling it might have been said in jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Indeed it was ;)

Unearthly wrote: »
    Indeed it was ;)

:);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This isn't an attack on English Football, it's an attack on how powerful the premierhsip is becoming. With the amount of money goin into top flght English football, there cold potentially be a day where al the worlds best footballers play in the premiership (Or La Liga etc etc).

Why bother with the world cup when you can watch the best players week in week out curtesy of Sky/Fox/ESPN? what value would the world cup TV rights have? would FIFA still be able to command the same amoutn of revenue? what if the Superleague decided to ban it's playes going to the world cup, what could FIFA do about it?

IMHO, This is all about power and money (Something which FIFA holds dear) and has nothing to do with promoting home grown players.

they never had a problem with the majority of the worlds best being in one league before? (when it was italy or spain)

they never had a problem with the majority of the worlds best being in one league before? (when it was italy or spain)

TV money has never been so big, even in its heyday there was never the money going into Spain or Italy as is coming into the premiership at the moment.

Thais, Americans, Russians, they don't care about English football, they are only interested in the TV coverage it gets.

• Advertisement

yeah but that was nobodys fault only the respective countries who never harnessed their leagues popularity while the top players were all there. the way the premiership does it is actually surprisingly fair. in spain and italy each club organises their own tv deals, which means the smaller clubs get screwed while the bigger clubs get 20-30 times as much as them

its just that the money isnt spread around fairly, moreso than the money isnt there full stop

yeah but that was nobodys fault only the respective countries who never harnessed their leagues popularity while the top players were all there. the way the premiership does it is actually surprisingly fair. in spain and italy each club organises their own tv deals, which means the smaller clubs get screwed while the bigger clubs get 20-30 times as much as them

its just that the money isnt spread around fairly, moreso than the money isnt there full stop

that's kind of my point. The EPL can go out and negotiate a deal on behalf of four of the worlds biggest teams. Imagine being able to negotiate TV rights for a league with every top player in the world. they would be able to command more money than the world cup.

but most of the worlds recognised top players dont play in the premiership

but most of the worlds recognised top players dont play in the premiership

not yet, no. But it only takes four or five big signings (Like Ronaldinho to Man City for example) for the balance to change completely.

i dont know about that

i think the english climate will ensure that la liga and serie a maintain a fair share of big names

i dont know about that

i think the english climate will ensure that la liga and serie a maintain a fair share of big names

Iremember they used to say that Italians could never play in England as the football was too different.

£150k per week is enough to make anyone forget about a bit of sun for a few months.:D

besides, the EPL is only an example, there is no reason why it can't be La Liga or Serie A. FIFA just wants to prevent a superleague threatening its position as the most powerful force in football.

Advertisement