Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test

Options
  • 06-06-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Just a note on the Sgs centre/testers:
    I did my test yesterday & unfortunately I didn't get it- no harm reapplied straight away. I'll be honest it was my fault, not a major thing but i did get a red tick- it was a bit debatable whether it should have been blue but no point in dwelling on it now.
    Something I would like to say though is be prepared for your test to be long- i was behind the wheel for 60 minutes-traffic was bad, weather was bad etc. Also I was told the tester won't talk to you when your driving other than to give instructions/directions etc. Mine was a little bit different to that my tester was a bit chatty asking was I going anywhere on hols- where i worked- did i like my job etc. He told me he gets moved around Leinster with sgs every few months & hates Navan- where I did the test.
    I wasn't expecting the chat & it didn't really put me at ease.
    I think if i expected some of this before the test I might have done a little better. No harm- as he said I didn't do anything bad & I should get it next time- SGS seem very friendly. Just thought some ppl might like to expect a chat etc :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey there and welcome to Boards.ie. Thanks for posting your experience, i suppose it's a case of the examiners just getting bored sitting in traffic and the likes, personally during my test, not a word was said except for directions, which, to be honest, i preferred. I suppose it's personal preference, but i wouldn't be afraid to politely ask the tester to stop if he is bothering you, i'm sure he'll understand the pressure you're under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Milo98

I can except the examiner was probably a bit bored in the traffic but i do think it was a little unprofessional under the circumstances to be asking me had I any holidays planned- I wasn't at the hairdressers! It actually made me quiet uncomfortable in the car as a girl alone with the guy I had only just met- I was nervous enough already without the small talk. The questions came about 40 minutes into the drive and to be honest just made the whole thing a bit too uncomfortable & not at all what i was expecting. I think ppl should be prepared for this kind of approach to the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

Milo98 wrote: »
    It actually made me quiet uncomfortable in the car as a girl alone with the guy I had only just met- I was nervous enough already without the small talk.
    Can you appeal if you feel he contributed to your nervousness? I don't know but you may be able to?
    I passed but it was not with a sgs so I do not know what they are like

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can you appeal if you feel he contributed to your nervousness? I don't know but you may be able to?
    I passed but it was not with a sgs so I do not know what they are like

You can, but in this case i wouldn't advise it. For something as trivial as the examiner making small talk i can't see anything happening, if you did appeal the best you can hope for is another test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I would only complain if you thought he was purposfully trying to distract you or put you off.

If you think he was just a wee bit bored after 40 mins and just wanted to make a bit of small chat, i wouldnt complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

My guy chatted the whole way through the test (tell me about yourself, where are you in college, i had this girl once...) and I found it a bit distracting, it definately led to 2 of my grades.
    It's hard to tell someone who's marking you to shut up though.
    I passed in the end so I didn't mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Milo98

You can, but in this case i wouldn't advise it. For something as trivial as the examiner making small talk i can't see anything happening, if you did appeal the best you can hope for is another test date.

I was advised to appeal- yes they can talk to you but they really shouldn't be asking you personal questions- but to be honest its not really worth it. I'm just going to wait for a new date. Should only be 4/5 weeks apparently now.

Thanks for the advice though.

Advertisement