Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I order an AIB credit card from any branch?

Options
  • 06-06-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

A rather naive question I'm sure but...
    I'm an AIB account holder can I walk into any branch and order an AIB credit card or is it best to go the branch where my account is located?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I'm an AIB account holder can I walk into any branch and order an AIB credit card or is it best to go the branch where my account is located?

Yeah, and if you have online banking, you could ever order it online...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

daveyjoe wrote: »

You'll have to fill out an application form, which can be got from any branch, and they'll send it back to AIB's credit card team for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yeah, and if you have online banking, you could ever order it online...

I agree. Forget about ordering a credit card through the branch network. Your only dealing with a branch should be to get set up with online banking if you haven't already.

From there you can apply for the "Click" credit card (you can also order it via their website, but you will want online banking to get the best use out of it anyway) which is, as far as I know, the best credit card rate out there (I tend to ignore the special short term offers that, after they expire leave you on a much higher rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Thanks all, the reason that I wanted to do it in a branch is because I lost my code card. Rang AIB and asked for a new one, so I'll order it as soon as that comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stevengriffin1

I cant seem to order one online , i cant fin d the option anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

I have the AIB student mastercard...I can check my balance online, and it said 409Dr...does that mean I OWE this amount? When I transferred money from my normal a/c to my mastercard online, there was no change to the 409, but my normal a/c balance dipped.
    I'm also worried that a website is taking money monthly from my mastercard even tho I cancelled my a/c with them.
    Can someone alleviate my worries? thx

Four-Too wrote: »
    I have the AIB student mastercard...I can check my balance online, and it said 409Dr...does that mean I OWE this amount?
    Yes, you owe the €409.
    When I transferred money from my normal a/c to my mastercard online, there was no change to the 409, but my normal a/c balance dipped.
    You don't transfer money to your Credit Card account per se. You pay the mastercard bill. This takes transaction is processed over a business night. Therefore, depending on when you paid the bill, you will see the balance reduce either tomorrow morning or Tuesday morning.
    I'm also worried that a website is taking money monthly from my mastercard even tho I cancelled my a/c with them.
    Can someone alleviate my worries? thx
    Well, have you checked your online statement? It will list all transactions from the previous month. If you have eStatements set up (you can do this online), you can browse through (and download via pdf) you transaction history for up to a year. If you see any transactions that should not be there, contact credit card services immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

dotsman wrote: »

You don't transfer money to your Credit Card account per se. You pay the mastercard bill. This takes transaction is processed over a business night. Therefore, depending on when you paid the bill, you will see the balance reduce either tomorrow morning or Tuesday morning.
    Yes, I have gotten credit card bills posted to me, and I have paid them. The thing is they did not charge me the full bill, they said I only have to pay a minimum to pay online. Is it that I was charged a load of interest because I did not pay the full bill each time? I fear so

dotsman wrote: »

QUOTE]
    Yes, I have gotten credit card bills posted to me, and I have paid them. The thing is they did not charge me the full bill, they said I only have to pay a minimum to pay online. Is it that I was charged a load of interest because I did not pay the full bill each time? I fear so
    Yes, you should always try to pay off the full amount every month.

How a credit card works is that you are issued a bill for a month (say your expenditure in November) and given another month in which to pay it (say by the end of December). You must pay the minimum (or else you fall into arrears - even higher rate of interest plus the possibility of having the card canceled). However, any of the balance that you don't pay off then gets charged interest. So if you get a bill for €400 and only pay €300, then you're not in any trouble as you've easily met the minimum, but you will get charged interest on the remaining €100 until such time as you pay it off.

Interest is calculated daily, so if the credit card rate is 15%, then for every day that the €100 remains unpaid, you will pay roughly 4 cent per day it's outstanding (€100 * 15%/365days). So, as you can see, it's not much - But it does add up fairly quickly if you leave a large amount outstanding for a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement