Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exchange Server settings on Local domain relay

• 06-06-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a new fancy printer/scanner/photostat here in work that when you scan documents it will e-mail them off to you (swish huh) but......

I have setup 6 users , myself (admin) and 5 others.

so to scan a doc you go to the printer , press the box with your name on the touchscreen and then press scan. this will scan them in and forward a mail to usersname@ex1.mydomain.ie (the ex1 being the exchangey bit of the address??)

Now it only seems to work for me (maybe as I'm in the administrators group). And I don't know enough about exchange to know if there is a setting or button to allow 'normal' users to Relay mail on the internal domain???

anyone know if I have to specifically tell exchange to allow local users mail relay??

I mena the printer sends fine to the exchange server but the mail never gets delivered if it's for a normal user , D'oh !

all help appreciated ,+ pints at the next boards beers I reckon

Thanks,
    Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on aliases and that lark.

Do all users have username@ex1.domain.ie, or do they only have username@domain.ie?

Don't know a whole pile about scanners and that, but I very much doubt that the scanner is authenticating with exchange as each particular user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

users have an address just joebloggs@ourdomain.ie. but if you want to relay inside the domain you send to joebloggs@ex1.ourdomain.ie.

The scanner does not need to authenticate for local domain relay.

thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Does the scanner use MAPI/ hook into outlook to send? Or does it use SMTP?

Is the "from" address set to a fixed address like "admin@ex1.ourdomain.ie", or does it change depending on the logged in user?

Assuming you're using exch2003 or better, does the message tracking center under Exchange System Manager \ Tools give a reason, or tell you the point at which the mail is dumped?

hi ressem,

the scanner uses smtp to relay inside the domain. now that I think of it, I reckon the scanner 'from' address may be set incorrectly (I'll have to check when I'm back in work) to scanner@ourdomain.ie (missing the @ex1.ourdomain.ie)

what I was going to ask is how do I test mail relay using the command line? or is there a way ?? can I telnet to the exchange (exchange2000) and try mail relay so I can see whats causing the delivery error??

at the moment only people in the administrators group can receive mail relay,which is a bit odd.

all thoughts (on subject) welcome

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119 - This article describes how to telnet to port 25 on a computer that runs Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) services to troubleshoot SMTP communication problems.

• Advertisement

Legend , thanks Capt'n . thats exactly what I was after

Advertisement