Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple punctures

Options
  • 06-06-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

So i go out for a spin this morning. About 4K in to the cycle at a relaxed pace, i get a serious blow out (i.e 100 PSI to 0 in about 2 sec.) as im going around a sharp bend. I set about fixing the puncture but can find no evidence of a cause. Anyway a continue away i suppose with about 60 PSI in my rear tyre with the hand pump. No problems until i finish my cycle and come up my drievway. Unpaved, very rough and i get another blow out. Bad luck i think and wheel the bike home.
    Then i set about fixing the original puncture, stick the tube back on and inflate back up to 100 psi. Im then going about another tube, when bang, another blow out. The bike was upside down and no pressure on the tyre whatsoever.
    So i then I start to examine the tyre and see that a small chunk was blown away in the last blow out. and there seems to be a lot of tearing on the seam between the side wall and base of the tyre.
    Just wondering if anyone else has had problems like that or should i get the CSI guys out.
    The tyre is only 6 months old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Blow out generally refers to something like happening in one go:

img_3847.jpg

If there is a hole in the sidewall check that the brake pads don't touch the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Blowing a hole in the tyre in a high-pressure blowout is unfortunately common enough. You will almost certainly have to replace the tyre.

th_tyre_blowout.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

I gave the brakes a good examine and i think you might be right. Its very surprising the amount of wear and tear on a tyre in 6 months, and all the wear is on one side wall only. One of the break pads seems to be slightly touching the tyre alright.

Advertisement