Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declan Ganley - Libertas Master

Options
  • 06-06-2008 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Did anyone read anything about the sketchy dealings of Mr.Declan Ganley of Libertas. There is alot of speculation about where he has received his funding for the No Vote campaign. Anyone any theories or any actual idea who this nay saying clown is?

article about this:

Story about Mr.Ganley and his ties with US homeland security etc

Heres an article written by this Ganley fellow in 2003 about the EU constitution etc.
    You might notice its more about the affect it will have on America etc rather than Europe.
    Ganley on the EU constitution from 2003

people might starting screeching conspiracy theory, which i suppose is not a million miles off the mark. But this is one of those weird situations where both "conspiracies" contradict and if true negate each other.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

http://www.whoisdeclanganley.blogspot.com/

http://www.irishelection.com/05/libertas-rivada/

A pious catholic and generally shifty character, with apparently no actual political agenda apart from No to Lisbon.

Regarding an Irish times article recently...
    To quote from the article:

Asked if there was any overlap between Libertas and Rivada Networks, he said “no, none”.

That’s strange. When I look up the phone number for Rivada in Galway, it’s exactly the same number as is listed for Libertas on their site. The fax number is also the same. Naoise Nunn, as outlined yesterday, was definitely a Rivada employee last Summer, when he was coordinating the Forum on Public Safety, sponsored by Rivada, and using a @rivada.com email address to do so.

Not to mention David Cochrane owner of Politics.ie also being a member/employee of Rivada/Libertas. It's so unbelievable that you'd think it's a tinfoil hat job, it's not.

I'm betting some of the UK independence party candidates are going to join this new Libertas "political" party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

i dont care he did a good job of getting a no vote for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

The knives are out for him. You can't take on the political elite of Europe, and beat them, and expect to get away with it.

utick wrote: »
    i dont care he did a good job of getting a no vote for ireland

For who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

studiorat wrote: »
    For who?

For the American Lizard's who are in cahoots with the Illuminati who are preparing for the second coming and the Rapture when the 144,000 chosen ones ascend to heaven.

Or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Like him or not he took on the establishment and proved that democracy is still the way we do business in this country. That's who benefitted, the way the Greens are going on you'd swear Ganley had a veto on Lisbon.

I was listening to DeBurca whinging yesterday on Newstalk, coming out with all this crap about American Homeland security contracts - the usual I'm not saying it is suspicious but it would make you think crap. She actually said Ganley had nothing to gain by opposing Lisbon - Well Deirdre, he is an Irish citizen and he can vote anyway he likes and if he wants to spend his money promoting his viewpoint then fair play to him. If he wanted to give money to help pay for Ireland's carbon credits I'm sure the government would have come running, Then she wanted to overturn the McKenna judgement(fellow Green party comrade) as the no side got far more proportional coverage then it should have - mmmm lets see 53% of the vote got 50% of the airtime, this is so typical of Irish Politics, especially the Greens - when the rules don't suit you move the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Like him or not he took on the establishment and proved that democracy is still the way we do business in this country. That's who benefitted, the way the Greens are going on you'd swear Ganley had a veto on Lisbon.

I was listening to DeBurca whinging yesterday on Newstalk, coming out with all this crap about American Homeland security contracts - the usual I'm not saying it is suspicious but it would make you think crap. She actually said Ganley had nothing to gain by opposing Lisbon - Well Deirdre, he is an Irish citizen and he can vote anyway he likes and if he wants to spend his money promoting his viewpoint then fair play to him.
    And if he had campaigned for a 'Yes' vote, presumably you would still be singing his praises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

donaghs wrote: »
    The knives are out for him. You can't take on the political elite of Europe, and beat them, and expect to get away with it.
    They will also do anything in their power to tarnish his name including slur. This is a common practice used by controlling parties who have the upper hand and want to suppress any threat. Next we will hear of him having chi*d po*rn on his computer.

There's a huge press hoo-ha! every time he blows his nose. Ganleys important meeting with the Czech president during the week was no more than a party hooley in the Shelbourne hotel. Libertas have a powerful communications and public relations presence. Ganleys posturing and showboating with minor european politicians has been nothing more than self promotion. Comments on his past business activities particularly have been spun into crackpot theories. (his business dealings in Albania should be examined) But the bottom line is Ganley the Anglo-irish millionaire has been involved with some very shady people in his business past and been involved in some ethically dubious schemes IMO.

He is still vague about what he actually stands for and for me hasn't given a satisfactory answer on why I would vote no. Libertas' no campaign was full of hysterical untruths concerning a European army and abortion issues were played up and played down according to their PR demographic to voters around the country.

Cynical PR campaning IMO.

They will also do anything in their power to tarnish his name including slur. This is a common practice used by controlling parties who have the upper hand and want to suppress any threat. Next we will hear of him having chi*d po*rn on his computer.

^^^
    Libertas spin...
    Same as Ganley's "European Elites".
    They? Common Practice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Like him or not he took on the establishment and proved that democracy is still the way we do business in this country.

bullsh*t. he proved how flawed the democratic process is, how easily the public will buy bull well presented lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bullsh*t. he proved how flawed the democratic process is, how easily the public will buy bull well presented lies.
    Like loosing the Irish constitution and invoking totalitarian control from Europe synonymous with other dictatorships that have passed through down through the ages.

Like loosing the Irish constitution and invoking totalitarian control from Europe synonymous with other dictatorships that have passed through down through the ages.
    Yes, bull**** like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

he certainly exposed the lie that the eu political elites give a damn about peoples opinion, but that lie was already exposed after what happened in france and the netherlands

utick wrote: »
    he certainly exposed the lie that the eu political elites give a damn about peoples opinion, but that lie was already exposed after what happened in france and the netherlands
    Yep, they just went right ahead and brought that treaty into force, regardless of the result of the Irish referendum... Oh, wait now...

I just love the way Ganley has been embraced as some sort of crusader against the evil "political elite". This is a guy who had dealings with Liam Lawlor FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yep, they just went right ahead and brought that treaty into force, regardless of the result of the Irish referendum... Oh, wait now...

I just love the way Ganley has been embraced as some sort of crusader against the evil "political elite". This is a guy who had dealings with Liam Lawlor FFS.

You mean like Bertie did, who you are all so proud to proclaim 'negotiated' the Lisbon Treaty :D

You mean like Bertie did, who you are all so proud to proclaim 'negotiated' the Lisbon Treaty
    I don't believe I ever exuded pride in the role Ireland had in the treaty's negotiation and I’m certainly no fan of Bertie.

And if he had campaigned for a 'Yes' vote, presumably you would still be singing his praises?

Probably not, not exactly a comparision of like with like as if he had campaigned for a yes vote we would probably never have heard of him or Libertas but it was nice to see the establishment getting more then a shot across the bows for once.

If you're a democrat you accept the vote, your alternative to democracy is? Although I suppose FF's domination of this country supports your argument.

If anything the "sheep" should have voted with their traditional party view and the yes vote should have waltzed it. Them grapes just keep getting sourer with you guys.

Probably not, not exactly a comparision of like with like as if he had campaigned for a yes vote we would probably never have heard of him or Libertas but it was nice to see the establishment getting more then a shot across the bows for once.
    And therein lies the hypocrisy; it's ok for the 'No' side to mislead and deceive because you agree with them. If Ganley had campaigned for a 'Yes' vote (with the size of Libertas' budget, I'm sure he still would have been in the spotlight) using the same tactics, you would have been up in arms. In fact, I imagine most ‘No’ voters would have used Ganley as a reason to vote ‘No’!

+1
    Ganley is the bleedin' political elite FFS.
    Have a look at the business he did with Kosta Trebicka these guys put make Liam Lawlor look like a paragon of virtue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

briantwin wrote: »
    Did anyone read anything about the sketchy dealings of Mr.Declan Ganley of Libertas. There is alot of speculation about where he has received his funding for the No Vote campaign. Anyone any theories or any actual idea who this nay saying clown is?

article about this:

Story about Mr.Ganley and his ties with US homeland security etc

Heres an article written by this Ganley fellow in 2003 about the EU constitution etc.
    You might notice its more about the affect it will have on America etc rather than Europe.
    Ganley on the EU constitution from 2003

people might starting screeching conspiracy theory, which i suppose is not a million miles off the mark. But this is one of those weird situations where both "conspiracies" contradict and if true negate each other.

Any opinions?

I don't trust him or support him. I think in the future he will be a liability to the no campaign. His refusal to properly explain libertas funding shows his lack of transparency. No transparency means he has something to hide.

I don't trust the EU elite or the government who treat us like idiots either.

Hence why I spoilt my vote.

studiorat wrote: »
    +1
    Ganley is the bleedin' political elite FFS.
    Have a look at the business he did with Kosta Trebicka these guys put make Liam Lawlor look like a paragon of virtue.

Here's one little difference, Lawlor was an elected public representative using his elected position for financial gain, Ganley is a lobbyist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

You hyprocrite! Let me ask you another question before you "YES TO LISBON" voter listen to the politicians that have the country as it is.
    Where do you think that the government got the money from to fund their failure of a "YES" campaign ? Answer! from the taxpayer of course maybe not your good self as I doubt if you actually pay taxes but let me assure you that I pay approximately €15,000 PAYE annually. Now wherever Declan Ganley got his money from is none of your business as long as it is not my money as a taxpayer. Your type of propaganda shows that you are unable to think for yourself but use the foul mouthed tongues of all our politicians , you sore looser!
    I would much rather see the government spend the funds where it is needed most ie. the health service, the vaccine for young girls and for people with disabilities. You are too blind to see where it is being spent. let me tell you that priority with this government is with the super rich builders, Bankers and speculators.
    Declan Ganley spent his own money and as such he is not answerable to anyone. It was not stolen and hence he has the right to spend it as he wishes.
    You will have to do better than that ould mantra "YES" voter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Like the lies presented by the current governing parties prior to the last general election and indeed, every recent election !

Blue 84 wrote: »
    of course maybe not your good self as I doubt if you actually pay taxes but let me assure you that I pay approximately €15,000 PAYE annually. Now wherever Declan Ganley got his money from is none of your business

Of course people who pay more tax are more entitled to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Blue 84 wrote: »
    You hyprocrite! Let me ask you another question before you "YES TO LISBON" voter listen to the politicians that have the country as it is.
    Where do you think that the government got the money from to fund their failure of a "YES" campaign ? Answer! from the taxpayer of course maybe not your good self as I doubt if you actually pay taxes but let me assure you that I pay approximately €15,000 PAYE annually. Now wherever Declan Ganley got his money from is none of your business as long as it is not my money as a taxpayer. Your type of propaganda shows that you are unable to think for yourself but use the foul mouthed tongues of all our politicians , you sore looser!
    I would much rather see the government spend the funds where it is needed most ie. the health service, the vaccine for young girls and for people with disabilities. You are too blind to see where it is being spent. let me tell you that priority with this government is with the super rich builders, Bankers and speculators.
    Declan Ganley spent his own money and as such he is not answerable to anyone. It was not stolen and hence he has the right to spend it as he wishes.
    You will have to do better than that ould mantra "YES" voter

Hmm, I sure hope not as it is illegal for the government to fund a political campaign with taxpayers funds. If they did the should find themselves in court. They only can use their own parties funds raised through political donations to fund their campaign. Libertas spent more than the three main parties combined. The only thing government funded was the referendum commission which has to be 100% impartial. Unfortunately for the NO campaign reality had a YES campaign bias so they lied and obfuscated as much as possible.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0730/1217368580622.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I voted no to Lisbon and will do so again but the thing that really pisses me off is how Ganley has got all the credit for the no campaign and has even been called the leader of the no campaign in recent weeks.

The fact of the matter is that the only thing Libertas did was put up a load of rubbish posters that anyone with half a brain cell would see as rubbish and most informed people knew Ganley was scum.
    Never once did a Libertas representative engage in one of the forum debates that were held around the country.

Meanwhile good honourable people like Patricia McKenna and Joe Higgins are conveniently ignored.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...good honourable people like Patricia McKenna...
    :eek:

And therein lies the hypocrisy; it's ok for the 'No' side to mislead and deceive because you agree with them. If Ganley had campaigned for a 'Yes' vote (with the size of Libertas' budget, I'm sure he still would have been in the spotlight) using the same tactics, you would have been up in arms. In fact, I imagine most ‘No’ voters would have used Ganley as a reason to vote ‘No’!

Well the taxpayer funded survey as to why there was a no vote would disagree with your Ganley bashing statement. I was going to vote no to Lisbon long before I even heard of Declan Ganley and he is, quite frankly being made out to be the Bogeyman of Lisbon. Fact of the matter is that the Yes side fkd up on more then one occasion and I think would have lost regardless of Libertas/Ganley/Coir etc.

If you think for one minute that the Yes side was being entirely truthful you need to wake up. Who can blame people for reading stuff into the treaty that may not have been there in black and white, if you'd told me 10 years ago that duty free would be a thing of the past thanks to the EU you'd have been laughed out of town by the Pro EU brigade. If you'd have told people in 1971 that joining the EEC would have led to milk lakes, butter mountains and fishermen dumping fish by the thousand after catching them you'd have being called a looney scaremongerer. You can't say that the EU has brought in some wacky stuff.

As for stuff not in the treaty I remember Albert Reynolds back around '92 telling us to vote for another EU treaty because we'll get 7 punts for every punt we put into the EU/EC, don't go too deep on the content there Albert. Don't worry about the lawyer talk, we're getting billions out of them.

There is without a shadow of a doubt, a skepicism about the EU project in this country and other member states and it isn't all Declan Ganley's fault.

• Advertisement

Fact of the matter is that the Yes side fkd up on more then one occasion and I think would have lost regardless of Libertas/Ganley/Coir etc.
    I think you're giving the Irish electorate far too much credit if you think they all made up their minds in the absence of any influence from Libertas and co. Sure we still have posters here on boards telling us they voted 'No' because Libertas said this, that and the other. Many of the reasons put forward by 'No' voters in the Eurobarometer poll are taken straight from Libertas' campaign, as well as those of Sinn Féin and Cóir.
    If you think for one minute that the Yes side was being entirely truthful you need to wake up.
    In what way were they untruthful? Let's go with Fianna Fáil; give me something specific that they said about Lisbon that was not true.

Advertisement