Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jean-Pierre Papin

• 06-06-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭

All this talk of old European Champioships had me thinking of this player. He was absolutely lethal, I don't I've ever seen a player like him since.

I think moving to Milan didn't work out for him because of the foreigner rule. Just goes to show you how good Milan were at the time.

He scored 9 times in France's qualification for Euro 92. They won every game on the way to the tournament. They didn't make it past the group stage in the actual competition.

Check out some of his goals for Marseille here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03PnRRwJys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm7vN82-E0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yep,chap was good alright!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Still talked about in hushed tones around these parts, although his first foray into management has been a little disastrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The name is ringing about 50 bells in my head and I loved him as a player but other than that, my mind is completely blank :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Papin was unlucky with injuries at Milan. Went there for around £10m back in the early 90s - imagine what he would go for now. He was phenomenal at Marseille - especially with the volleyed goals :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

My favourite thing about him was his name, just saying it makes it feel like you can speak French. Without doubt, the most frenchest name in the history of french names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ya, just beating Jérémie Aliadière!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

It's odd how some very good players of the 80s/90s are still remembered and instantly recognised (even by those too young to have seen them live) while others are consigned to relative obscurity.

Papin seem to fall into the latter category - a real shame considering how good he was at his peak. Tomas Brolin is another. Only generally mentioned now for being fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Great stiker, althought it has to be said that Chris Waddle scored the best goal in that first highlights clip :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

5 years either side of his peak and he would have been remembered in the same vein as Van Basten etc.

Unfortunately he was too young for the Plantini generation, and too old adn injured for the great French 98-00 squad.

I remember the hype about France coming into Euro 92, but they limped out with a terrible performance in the finals.

They also missed Italia '90 and USA '94

Shame really

Advertisement