Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maths paper 2 proofs

Options
  • 06-06-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Any predictions on which proofs will come up on paper 2 (HL)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

perp. distance hasn't come up in a while, it was on most of the pre's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Yeah Perp. Distance has quite a good chance.

Loving proofs...free marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Riotguy wrote: »
    Yeah Perp. Distance has quite a good chance.

Loving proofs...free marks!

Yeah.. De Moivre's today was ridiculous as a whole c part.. I really wonder if they'll give the full 20.. But based on the rest of the paper they'll have to..

Yeah I'd say p. dist. as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

I learned De Moivre's, like, literally 10 mins before entering the exam hall!

Delighted to say the least...considering I fudged up pretty much all of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

muffinman wrote: »
    Yeah.. De Moivre's today was ridiculous as a whole c part.. I really wonder if they'll give the full 20.. But based on the rest of the paper they'll have to..

Yeah I'd say p. dist. as well

hope it gets 20, I really messed up the complex numbers part, and managed to multiply by A in matrices, not the inverse ¬_¬
    We were told to check out tan^-1 for maclaurin, it was on integration by parts last year, so the teacher reckons it could re-appear this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭monkey lover

anyone know where i can find a list of all the proofs you need to know for Paper Two? Can't find the sheet I wrote them all out on.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

yup perperndicular distance according to 2fm nd dey guessed d poets nd comparative study right!! They guessed the geography biome question too so hopefully they have this right too!!

Maybe Cos rule......

I looked at De Moivre yesterday morning but i didn't bother learning it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

I learned de moivre at bout half 12 the night before i was quare happy when i saw it!Perpendicular distance please god on Monday:p

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Katerrrs

anyone know where i can find a list of all the proofs you need to know for Paper Two? Can't find the sheet I wrote them all out on.

Cheers!

Perpendicular distance formula,
    angle between 2 lines formula,
    equation of tangent to circle,
    difference equations theorem,
    trigonometry derivations of formula ( fundamental identity, compound angle formulae, double angle formlae(the two types), half angle formulae and the cosine rule) and the transformation geometry proofs (maps a line onto a line etc)
    Im doing groups as my option, there's 6 proofs for that, not sure bout the other options.

I'd say perp. distance and the cosine rule are most likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Katerrrs wrote: »
    Im doing groups as my option, there's 6 proofs for that, not sure bout the other options.
    The terrible downfall of the groups option... Otherwise it would be so easy. -.-
    If the "all cyclic groups are isomorphic to the complex nth roots of infinity" proof comes up, I may cry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Is there any nice, easy way of ding that perpendicular distance formula?

I don't like the vectors way as I would just be learning each line off and I don't like to do that, I don't like the way with the triangle either because it looks to abstract for me to connect it with co-ordinate geometry...

This is the only proof I have a problem with, the rest are easy peasy marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

Vectors???? I csant even imagine how ya do it like that!

I thought there was only one way! Anyway defo learn it there other way, takes 5mins and you wont forget it coz ya just use the two methods for finding area of triangle and equate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

yeah i think the triangle method is piss easy (if ya have it learned off)
    prob wouldn't be able to work it out on the day..........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

they're at the back of less stress

Advertisement