Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to climb a mountain

Options
  • 06-06-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

There's a guy writing for the NY Times who is cycling this years Etape. It looks like he hasn't done much training but looks like he is pulling out all the stops in the last few weeks before the sportive.

Anyways he got some ex-pro to write about climbing mountains and it's a pretty funny/depressing read. Something for the W200 guys to think about ;)

BTW Anyone here doing the Etape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Diarmuid wrote: »
    There's a guy writing for the NY Times who is cycling this years Etape. It looks like he hasn't done much training but looks like he is pulling out all the stops in the last few weeks before the sportive.

Anyways he got some ex-pro to write about climbing mountains and it's a pretty funny/depressing read. Something for the W200 guys to think about ;)

BTW Anyone here doing the Etape?

I love what bikesnobnyc has to say about this guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Rule 4. Pedal all the way around.

Best bit of advice there. Sounds kind of obvious, but many people tend to just push down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Good God, there is a fantastic article (dated 2006) in the sidebar about ultra endurance cyclist Jure Robic. Powerade, sponsor that man a documentary movie.

Nice bit of science too on the truth about fatigue and your actual energy reserves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I love what bikesnobnyc has to say about this guy!

pretty much everything bike snob says is pure rubbish imo. I love to read average guys trying this stuff and writing about it, although this appears to be a total rip off of the english reporter who wrote a column about it 4 or 5 years back..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Cassiel wrote: »
    Good God, there is a fantastic article (dated 2006) in the sidebar about ultra endurance cyclist Jure Robic. Powerade, sponsor that man a documentary movie.
    yeah read that yesterday, nuts eh? what can posess him to be able to go that long and hard. He FELL ASLEEP on the bike one time and toppled over?!!?!?!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

copacetic wrote: »
    pretty much everything bike snob says is pure rubbish imo. I love to read average guys trying this stuff and writing about it, although this appears to be a total rip off of the english reporter who wrote a column about it 4 or 5 years back..

He is pretty bang on the nose on this one. the NY Times guy does come across as a complete and utter prat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

copacetic wrote: »

It may not be accurate or anything, but does make me smile from time to time!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tunney wrote: »
    He is pretty bang on the nose on this one. the NY Times guy does come across as a complete and utter prat.

maybe so, but just the way he writes makes me want to shove a stick in his spokes.

Advertisement