Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Txt Spk police

Options
  • 06-06-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this was tried before, but here goes.

I was thinking it may be useful to appoint a few boardsies to police people using txt spk in the same way the sig police look out for bad or offensive signatures. The reason I think this could be useful is because I know for a fact that I am not the only Boardsie who has txt spk under his/her list of pet peeves, and it can be very frustrating trying to read some of the garbage some posters put up... especially when it's in txt spk :pac:.

The problem is most common with new users who are used to posting comments on Bebo and Facebook where this... language is tolerated. I don't mean we should make posting in txt spk a bannable offence, but if the selected boardsies warn the offenders about how the use of txt spk is not generally accepted here it could help a lot.

anyone agree?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I agree. Sometimes it's a right pain trying to read the rubbish they type.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think when they get a warning from the mod of the forum or asked nicely by a poster ;) it's enough. After all, anyone can report a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Text speak is banned on most of the forums I mod, it can get you a warning or your posts deleted. I don't think that there's any need for a special 'police' for it, just report the post if you find it annoying.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id offer, but Id be afraid someone would then set up a separate division to pull me up on the use of the apostrophe.

I also detest multicoloured text, worse than txtspk to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't think that there's any need for a special 'police' for it, just report the post if you find it annoying.
    I agree with this. One thing I would point out though (and hopefully it's okay here) is that the Report Post screen contains this warning which, to me, seems to be a little strongly-worded for reporting posts written in text speak.
    Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.
    Maybe it should be changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I agree with Karl Hungus, i dont know of any forums where txt spk is allowed and mods deal with it swiftly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

nfrkt!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

do the mods not find txt spk too trivial a matter to deal with? especially the ones with a few forums to mod

malice_ wrote: »
    Maybe it should be changed?

Nope, file under 'problematic', I can't think of a greater problem than text speak. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Text speak is banned on most of the forums I mod, it can get you a warning or your posts deleted. I don't think that there's any need for a special 'police' for it, just report the post if you find it annoying.
    Bingo.

• Advertisement

The Bollox wrote: »
    do the mods not find txt spk too trivial a matter to deal with? especially the ones with a few forums to mod

Not particularly, it's usually a quick thing to deal with, just ask the poster to speak properly, and it's dealt with.

Text speak isn't a huge problem on Boards. If someone uses it, they'll usually get a warning and most likely never do it again. It's not really comparable with sigs.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Jesus Christ its "TEXT SPEAK" people.

srsly.

meh. it was just a suggestion.

*queue fail pics*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

god damn leftists, always looking for more regulation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Nope, file under 'problematic', I can't think of a greater problem than text speak. :pac:
    Fair enough ;).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

*queue fail pics*

Don't give up yet, the way threads always work is you get a string of people who either agree/ disagree, then a counter point turns up one or two pages in.

Is there any form of mention to new boardsies about the disapproval of txtspk here? Before they first post?

SDooM wrote: »
    Don't give up yet, the way threads always work is you get a string of people who either agree/ disagree, then a counter point turns up one or two pages in.

Is there any form of mention to new boardsies about the disapproval of txtspk here? Before they first post?

yeah, but for turn-around to happen I'll need a montage. I don't have a camera, or a suitable cheesy 80's song

*queue fail pics*
    k

operation-totem-pole-status-fail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was thinking it may be useful to appoint a few boardsies to police people using txt spk
    There is already such a group -> Spellczechsm.gif
    Not officially sanctioned mind, other than that the leader is a SMod.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    There is already such a group -> Spellczechsm.gif
    Not officially sanctioned mind, other than that the leader is a SMod.

I'm a member, but it's more of a discussion board about correct punctuation than a policing force

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think outlawing text speak should be made part of the Lisbon Treaty. Surely that would convince loads of people that it would be a good thing.

I generally try to politely ask people not to use text speak when they post that way on a forum I mod. If they don't stop after repeated warnings I would ban them.

srsly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The Lisbon Treaty will not only allow text speak in by the back door, bypassing our consitutional rights, it will actually make text speak mandatory.

Vote NO !

SDooM wrote: »

It's in a number of charters that text speak is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Meh, I don't really see text speak as a problem. Usually just done by a new poster who either leaves or falls in line once they're made aware that text speak is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Meh, I don't really see text speak as a problem. Usually just done by a new poster who either leaves or falls in line once they're made aware that text speak is frowned upon.

It can be a barrier to communication and, quite frankly, annoying. Sometimes th pnt gts lst n u hv 2 wrk 4 2 hrd 2 wrk stff 0.
    Each forum has a different standard of what is and isn't acceptable; a single group covering all fora won't work. The current method of reporting a post is fine. Even then, a ban is a last restort for the terminally typing-retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

No, I mean despite my hatred of text speak, it isn;t too much of a problem in boards from what I can see.

Textspeakers are quickly set straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

yeah, but for turn-around to happen I'll need a montage. I don't have a camera, or a suitable cheesy 80's song
    I'm a member, but it's more of a discussion board about correct punctuation than a policing force

I take it you haven't discussed capitalisation or full-stops yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I really think posts in textspeak should warrant a site banning.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I still think my suggestion for filtering out txtspk as swear words should have been adopted...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055138818&highlight=filter
    Suggestion: Filter and replace !!!!! and txtspk

Have seen this done on other forums, a pain to get going but worth it imo.

Replace

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with !
    ?????????? with ?

and all the variations.

omg with I was most surprised
    txt with text
    l8r with later
    plz with please
    ffs with that is ludicrous my dear friend.

etc etc etc.

You get the idea. Leave yore ma out of it though, it's still funny, as
    will be seen by people responding to me mentioning it by hilarious retorts
    about my ma.

it was a great idea then and it's a great idea now

edit: am coming round to this tagging thing, I like what you can do with it.

Advertisement