Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Txt Spk police

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Hold on the abbrievations are just as hard to bloody get if your new enough to boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Dudess wrote: »
    I really think posts in textspeak should warrant a site banning.

My old man got an assignment from a 2nd year history student....in text speak....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

My old man got an assignment from a 2nd year history student....in text speak....

does he teach history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Well, ffs and omg are TLA's, which in itself is a TLA, not text speak really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

copacetic wrote: »
    does he teach history?
    No. He gets paid to talk to his class about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The Bollox wrote: »
    I was thinking it may be useful to appoint a few boardsies to police people using txt spk in the same way the sig police look out for bad or offensive signatures.
    No. SIGPO can be annoying enough, though I know they provide a useful function
    The Bollox wrote: »
    The reason I think this could be useful is because I know for a fact that I am not the only Boardsie who has txt spk under his/her list of pet peeves
    Oh, I can't stand it either ... I'd find it easier to read posts in pig-Latin or binary ... but proliferation of thematically focussed quasi-obsessive groups of vigilantes on boards not a good idea.

Mods seem to deal with it fine as it is ...
    Oryx wrote: »
    Id offer, but Id be afraid someone would then set up a separate division to pull me up on the use of the apostrophe.

... and Americanisms ...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Whoever doesnt use apostrophes should be ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Cat Speakz FTW!
    Txt spk FTL (For the lose that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

does he teach history?

Woops, that makes it sound like he teaches in school.

He's a university lecturer.

Hence the shock that a second year uni student would so such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In Galway? In history?

/curious now :p

• Advertisement

Woops, that makes it sound like he teaches in school.

Hence the shock that a second year uni student would so such a thing.

well thats not too bad, I though history students were doing txt spk essay drive bys on members of the public..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I have to back the opposition due to the simple fact that the users wanting to ban "txtspk" are actually using text speak to do so, hence finding such use of the English language an acceptable one. (what Maximillian said)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even the bible come in txt spk these days
    http://www.biblesociety.com.au/smsbible/index.html

Gordon wrote: »
    I have to back the opposition due to the simple fact that the users wanting to ban "txtspk" are actually using text speak to do so, hence finding such use of the English language an acceptable one. (what Maximillian said)

thats crazy talk Gordon, say I want to add the word mamafecker to the swear filter, I can't because I just used it therefore making its use acceptable? that is some backwards logic

thats crazy talk Gordon, say I want to add the word mamafecker to the swear filter, I can't because I just used it therefore making its use acceptable? that is some backwards logic
    :) well at least you are trying to understand it by trying to break it down into something else, creativity is always a good thing.

Yo boards.ie mamafeckers, ban the word mamafeckers or you're all mamafeckers.

Gordon wrote: »
    :) well at least you are trying to understand it by trying to break it down into something else, creativity is always a good thing.

Yo boards.ie mamafeckers, ban the word mamafeckers or you're all mamafeckers.

you are some condescending mamafecker!

Only on Saturdays, and the 16th of mamafecker every year (not sure why).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No. It's easy to read.

Advertisement