Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned after first post?

Options
  • 06-06-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

In the Sligo Forum a new poster (Loki2K8) was banned after their first post, when I posted questioning the mods my post was deleted.
    Link
    The post, to me, seemed to be a joke and taken up the wrong way by the mod.

My post:
    me wrote:
    Maybe he didn't register just to post that but that was the first thing he posted... You think just cuz muffler and Basq are gone I'm gonna go easy on you mods???

Mod told me to take it to feedback so here it is.

[/fightdapowah]
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I don't see any problem with the post in question. But then again I don't see the harm in goading Waterford people on the town/city thing either (low hanging fruit).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

First of all, thank you very much for taking this to feedback where it belongs.

Second of all, I pmed the poster in question when I banned them to explain why I banned them. Should he/she come back and reply to me to say that they were only joking, I will of course discuss it with takola (to decide if we believe he/she is being sincere) and we might allow them back.

Next, you will notice that a regular poster who posts something tongue in cheek along the same lines will not be taken as a "troll", (see: Mikey Sligo on page 1 of that same thread) because we know they're joking. This particular user registered, trolled in a mainly disused thread, and hasn't been back. This is screaming obvious trouble maker to me.

takola deleted your post in the thread on the Sligo forum because like she explained to you in PM, it was derailing the thread and all mod feedback should be handled here. takola and I are both new mods and yes, there is a learning curve, but rest assured that we are doing our best to be fair but also effective mods.

Oh yeah, I might add, if you were being a bollocks and "calling out" the mods on thread, a) you should have known better and b) they were well within their right to remove your post.

Checked further into the new user, posting from a UK IP, so unless Sligo has relocated to Essex recently, I'd be dubious of their intentions if it was a troll. I mean, it really looks harmless to me, but maybe it is some big issue in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The Sligo board, due to our penchant for bellyaching about the less savoury members of our youth community, has a tendency of attracting these types of posts to a relatively minor degree.

We're not in the leages of AH for trolling - but we're a community board and we've got less space for useless nonsense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

CuLT: Its more the KK Folk who dont like being called a town, and the Waterford folk who hate KK being called a city :p Mostly.. but eh, whats that got to do with the post in question? :S

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    CuLT: Its more the KK Folk who dont like being called a town, and the Waterford folk who hate KK being called a city :p Mostly.. but eh, whats that got to do with the post in question? :S
    I caught me a fish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In the Sligo Forum a new poster (Loki2K8) was banned after their first post, when I posted questioning the mods my post was deleted.
    Link
    The post, to me, seemed to be a joke and taken up the wrong way by the mod.

My post:

Mod told me to take it to feedback so here it is.

[/fightdapowah]
    Regarding your post being removed it was well deserved. This hasn't been the first time for you to question modding decisions on thread and frankly I would have removed it also and done a bit more had I still been mod there. Its an ongoing thing with you to question every decision. This feedback thread should have been started by the user who was banned as I fail to see why your nose has been put out of joint by a moddinng decision.

Xiney had her reasons for banning the user and has conceded that both her and takola are new mods and if the user concerned is genuine then it can be discussed by PM and the matter can be reconciled.

I think thats about all that needs to be said on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I tend to think of a ban as an absolute last resort. It seems to have been used as the first resort in this case.

CuLT wrote: »
    You've been playing too many war games that used flame throwers ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I could if you want, turn into an evil fish and demand that someone look into this dreadful set of events where an admin of all people talks down Irelands first and oldest city rich with history and that KK place, that "town" which is only good for Hulring and nothing else... I could .. you know... be a proper fish?! :p

Tbh, I never understood the debate. I find it amusing winding up KK Folk about it, espically those in Ferrybank where the border is an issue :p

I think you would sit very well if you lived down here D:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Sully wrote: »
    Thats just because when you're it's a city, it receives a different variety/range of funding than that of a town.

So yah, it's a big debate really, but it'll have a lot of impacts, in terms of social development, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Dublin, Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

the GALL wrote: »
    Dublin, Ahem.
    eh, you mean Dublin Town?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Don't see what's wrong with what the poster said at all,may have been his opinion on the matter! Everyone has to have a first post somwhere, yet s/he got banned for something you didn't like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I tend to think of a ban as an absolute last resort. It seems to have been used as the first resort in this case.

I'd rather agree with this, and I don't think it was a particulalry fair ban at all. Sure, the guy made a pig-ignorant comment, and you could very well say he was trolling, but a ban on the first post? Hmm, harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think the fact that it was the first post would increase the chance of a ban, to be fair, it's certainly the case in a lot of fora. I think it'd be bad to ban a long-standing user for a comment like that, but I have to say, the fact that it was a first post would seem to suggest someone deliberately re-regging to troll imo.

I've not seen the post mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I'd rather agree with this, and I don't think it was a particulalry fair ban at all. Sure, the guy made a pig-ignorant comment, and you could very well say he was trolling, but a ban on the first post? Hmm, harsh.

Would the fact that it was account belonging to a previously banned user change this viewpoint?

06-06-2008, 7:59 loki 2k8 NEVER Duplicate account - recey Gordon
    06-06-2008, 7:58 recey14 NEVER Bugger off Gordon
    06-06-2008, 7:58 Recey forlife NEVER Bugger off Gordon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I'd totally agree, some MOD's could do with a spoonfull of lighten the hell up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

BJC wrote: »
    I'd totally agree, some MOD's could do with a spoonfull of lighten the hell up :pac:

there are no mods in the thunderdome. Knock yourself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Would the fact that it was account belonging to a previously banned user change this viewpoint?

Certainly would. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Oh yeah, I might add, if you were being a bollocks and "calling out" the mods on thread, a) you should have known better and b) they were well within their right to remove your post.

Fair points - thats why I took it to feedback -> no point me getting banned in the same thread for it.

06-06-2008, 7:59 loki 2k8 NEVER Duplicate account - recey Gordon
    06-06-2008, 7:58 recey14 NEVER Bugger off Gordon
    06-06-2008, 7:58 Recey forlife NEVER Bugger off Gordon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

Sure would, cheers billy.

Fair points - thats why I took it to feedback -> no point me getting banned in the same thread for it.

Sure would, cheers billy.
    Call it a womans intuition if you want but that was a fine bit of moderation by Xiney in her first modding task.

Oops sorry that should be the second task. I forgot that Hail 2 Da Chimp had to have a post removed - one of the many posts that questions modding decisions in that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

muffler wrote: »
    Call it a womans intuition if you want but that was a fine bit of moderation by Xiney in her first modding task.

Oops sorry that should be the second task. I forgot that Hail 2 Da Chimp had to have a post removed - one of the many posts that questions modding decisions in that forum.

I deleted the post.

Hail, I would advise in future that you pm one of us if you want to question anything. Posting to question us on a decision in thread will certainly earn you a ban in future.

takola wrote: »
    I deleted the post.

Hail, I would advise in future that you pm one of us if you want to question anything. Posting to question us on a decision in thread will certainly earn you a ban in future.
    Apologies takola. It was indeed you who rightly removed the post.

muffler wrote: »

Hey, I questioned a mod's decision - I did it in the wrong place and my post was removed so I posted here and sent the link to the mod, nothing wrong with that.
    I have only ever had 1 other post in that forum deleted for questioning a mods decision and I took it down the right avenue this time.

takola wrote: »
    I deleted the post.

You PM'd me and told me I could take it to PM or to Feedback, taking it to PM would ultimately account to nothing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Hey, I questioned a mod's decision - I did it in the wrong place and my post was removed so I posted here and sent the link to the mod, nothing wrong with that.
    I have only ever had 1 other post in that forum deleted for questioning a mods decision and I took it down the right avenue this time.
    You PM'd me and told me I could take it to PM or to Feedback, taking it to PM would ultimately account to nothing IMO.

Which is fair enough if you feel that way. That's up to you. Feel free to take it to feedback if you'd rather not pm either of us.

I think alot of things can be resolved in pm.
    Charter wrote:
    Arguing with a moderator.
    Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc. If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question. They will discuss it with you. You can then, if unsatisfied with the PM route, take things to Feedback.

You've already had a post removed from the forum for questioning a mod in the thread. This was your second time to do something you know breaks the charter rules.

In future if you decide you don't want to pm either of us then just start your feedback thread. If you want our opinions then pm us the link and we'll discuss it with you here. Don't interrupt the thread to question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Taking it to PM would also avoid twelve pages of people posting lolcats and generally ripping the piss out of you.

Also, posting a helpdesk ticket would have denied the moderator of the forum the right to reply as mods cannot post in the helpdesk forum.

So basically PM would have probably been your better option, followed by a helpdesk ticket should you have wanted to escalate the issue.

Advertisement