Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complex Imaging

Options
  • 06-06-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Does anyone know how you turn a smallish image into a clear concise image, for example:

From This:

crest-bohemians-fc-03.gif

To This:

Bohemians-Dublin.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well it's trivial to do if you've got a vector image source, since it'd be just a set of instructions on how to draw the image, it'll up-scale perfectly.
    Usually what you're dealing with though is a low-res raster image (basically any end-result format you're likely to come across, .gif .jpg .bmp, etc.)... in which case there's really no automatic way to turn it into a clear high-res image since there are a finite number of pixels and hence a finite amount of detail.
    You'll notice if you try to scale it up in a graphics program, it'll be blurry and fairly crap-looking (at best), since the program can only operate on what it's given and use its best guess (interpolation).

Anyway, the best way I've found of doing this (aside from tracking down the original image author and asking for a vector version) is to bring the image into a vector program (like inkscape (free)) and tracing over it manually... using the original image as a guide... or using the 'Trace bitmap' feature which will attempt to do this for you automatically... I've had good results with this before, but I had a reasonably good image to begin with... the smaller of those two images you posted looks more tricky... but might make a good starting point.

Maybe someone has a better solution, but if I had to do something like this, I'd be heading straight for inkscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

Thanks for the reply, helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'd use illustrator meself as I don't like inkscape, and I'd get down to my local font website to find the closest match for the font. Although Inkscapes trace image tool is pretty good (isn't there one for the latest Illustrator too?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Gordon wrote: »
    I'd use illustrator meself as I don't like inkscape
    They've done a lot with it recently in how they manage the toolbars, introduced docking, etc... it's much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Gordon wrote: »
    I'd use illustrator meself as I don't like inkscape, and I'd get down to my local font website to find the closest match for the font. Although Inkscapes trace image tool is pretty good (isn't there one for the latest Illustrator too?).

Yes, its shexy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement