Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Maths (P1) Question 8(c)

Options
  • 06-06-2008 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Ok there seems to be some debate as to the correct answer, so a simple post with your answer should help clear things up. BTW it was the Integration shaded area question.

I got 19 units squared

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

Ok there seems to be some debate as to the correct answer, so a simple post with your answer should help clear things up. BTW it was the Integration shaded area question.

I got 19 units squared

Did anybody do what i did, and find the points of intersection, Then find the area enclosed by the curve and the line y=-5 and take away the area enclosed by the line and the line y=-5.
    The intervals where from -3 to 3.

I realised at the end that there was another little bit to do, but only realised at the very end!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 NanoZoom555

i got 99/8 units ^2 ,dont think its right tho,im hearing a lot of very different answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

14 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blackangel

35/3 but i think its very wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

I knew how to do it, but it looked so time consuming I just went onto Algebra, A girl in my class says she did it in "a minute or two" so she more than likely got the wrong answer too...

I bet it would take 20 minutes to do it out properly! You had to subtract the area of the rectangle + the small triangle in the 4th quadrant too, anyone spot that? :p

But over all it went well and I did a lot better than I thought I would

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

yeah i did the rectangle/triangle thingy...

Took me 4 pages to get it out

I got 79/6 i think...... or maybe 77/6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Answer is 32/3 methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

Loads of people i know spent ages doin it, a few said it took 3 or 4 pages to do too

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

4/3 seems vveeeerrrry wrong!
    I got my limits (by plugging y=4-x^2 into the line, I think it was -1 and 3)
    Integrated the curve with the limits.
    Then did the line (realised halfway through - how the hell do ya intergrate y?!) and subtracted it from the curve.
    Kinda noticed that part of the area is below the x axis, does that have a bearing?

Anyone want to post a worked solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I'll LaTeX up a pretty solution - give me 5 minutes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Rich89

Me and another guy i was talking to got 32/3

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I'll LaTeX up a pretty solution - give me 5 minutes. :)

excellent, thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Rich89 wrote: »
    Me and another guy i was talking to got 32/3
    If that means 10 and two thirds I think I got that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Also 32/3, did it again just there to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

i just did it there and got 32/3 but in exam i used one wrong limit for very last bit under x axis in getting curve instead of 3 and 2 i used 3 and 1/2 anyone know what ill be docked for tht

Turns out I lost the ability to LaTeX efficiently and correctly. As it transpires I have a (horrible) scanner. It's cut off at the end but the answer I have there is 32/3.

epepg2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Yup thats wat i got!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

i got 9.... any takers?
    it took me a gud while bt 9 is a nice round number so i stuck with it rather than try agen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shockingpinkdna

I got 8. But then again I can't do Integration!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

I got 32/3 also.
    I just moved my x axis down so that the point where the curve and line meet is on the axis. Made it much simpler i thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

delta214 wrote: »
    I got 32/3 also.
    I just moved my x axis down so that the point where the curve and line meet is on the axis. Made it much simpler i thought
    How do you do that method?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

If you do it right but make stupid mental calculator mistakes is it only 3 marks you lose?

Can't recall my answer. I think I did it the same way as posted above but 11.58am leaves little time for prudence.

If you do it right but make stupid mental calculator mistakes is it only 3 marks you lose?

Can't recall my answer. I think I did it the same way as posted above but 11.58am leaves little time for prudence.

1 + 2 = 4 is a slip and you only lose 1 mark for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

I got 32/3. It took me ages! I got the area between the curve and the x-axis and the area between the line and the x-axis on both sides. Took the curve area from the positive area of the line and x-axis, then added that answer to the negative answer of the line and x-axis. Sorry if it sounds confusing, it very much is. Haven't a clue if its not the right answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

i got 6, looked up the method in my less stress more success.
    I got it wrong.

wasn't too far off it though.
    didn't bother working out the real answer. P1 is over so I started on P2
    only looking to pass H irish and well I did a good oral. paper 2 is geting some much needed attention this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭mrskinner

if you want to move the 2 graphs up you add 5 to each,,,,

y = 9 - x^2
    and
    y = 6 - 2x

integrate the curve from -1 to 3 gives 26.666
    the area of the triangle is 12

the difference is 14.6666 which is the shady area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dyle123

Glad to see many other people got 32/3 because that's what I got and so did another girl in my year!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

1 + 2 = 4 is a slip and you only lose 1 mark for them.
    Sweet. Hope they follow my method, it looked like a calculator regurgitated on the page. Actually if I'm hoping for stuff, I hope I got the answer.

Anyway. Thanks.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

i can't even remember what i got, but looking at all this, it was wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

That question looks big and scary to my poor 5th year brain. D:

Advertisement