Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Exam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

i just got it done
    3 pages for the biome characteristics- I CLEANED UP ON THAT ONE!

here lads anyone do question 1, section 1?
    for the part C of that (fluvial/marine/mass movement), i talked about desertification(i know its not technically mass movement but i manipulated it slightly so that it sounds like it is...
    will it be marked or is it totally wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Its high oblique but i know in one of the books it says it the wrong way round. i think its new complete geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

HUMAN INTERACTION
    With reference to an example you have studied, describe and account for one way in which
    humans attempt to influence or control natural processes. In your answer, refer to one of the
    following:
    �� Fluvial processes
    �� Marine processes
    �� Mass movement

Was I correct in answering this on Fishing industry.....fish stocks etc...???

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

Thought the paper was ok. The Question c on regional and elective were dodgy though. Wrote brilliant essay on human activities in biome and for physical geog. Hoping for a B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

quirkster wrote: »
    i just got it done
    3 pages for the biome characteristics- I CLEANED UP ON THAT ONE!

here lads anyone do question 1, section 1?
    for the part C of that (fluvial/marine/mass movement), i talked about desertification(i know its not technically mass movement but i manipulated it slightly so that it sounds like it is...
    I went on about fluvial processes and talked about how they changed the course of the river rhein, then a small bit on the shannon and the colorado and a few others.
    Think you were only supposed to talk about one but i had enough points from the rhein

• Advertisement

i dont think so..i know that the fluvail one was about like dams and **** like that...i did desertification for the mass movement and that GOT to be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

blue-army wrote: »

No unfortunately I don't think so
    quirkster wrote: »

A long shot...

I did it on Coastal Management - Hard and Soft Structures that attempt to reduce the effect of coastal erosion on valuable sites... Had a case study learned off

dude u were sorted so!ya i knew as i was writing it that it was gona be a long shot!im fairly sure that i nailed close to the full 80 marks on the essay- i did characteristics of a biome

i talked bout desert...and the how little rain..adapation of fauna....adaption of flora were its 3 main characteristics.got 3 pages out of it

BULLER wrote: »
    If the marks were split 50:50 between measurement and effects I'm fecked...

Doubt they will be.. they can't expect 6/7 SRPs on measurement

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

I did Fluvial Process on Dam building in Ardnacrusha and making the the River Rhine shorter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fearceol

is it possible to get the answers online anywhere as u do with other past exam papers?perhaps teachers already corrected it or sumtin,i dunno!

also for human interaction on biome,i did overgrazing,overcropping and deforestation in the Sahel,desert biome,3 pages,will that do me?

fearceol wrote: »
    is it possible to get the answers online anywhere as u do with other past exam papers?perhaps teachers already corrected it or sumtin,i dunno!

also for human interaction on biome,i did overgrazing,overcropping and deforestation in the Sahel,desert biome,3 pages,will that do me?

Didnt it only ask for 2 ways???I only did a page:o

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

oleary91 wrote: »
    I did Fluvial Process on Dam building in Ardnacrusha

ye me too. i presume this is ok??

louis626 wrote: »
    I did Fluvial Process on Dam building in Ardnacrusha

ye me too. i presume this is ok??

Yep it is...It was on my mock aswell and my teacher gave us out a sheet with the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fearceol

Didnt it only ask for 2 ways???I only did a page:o

well i kinda combine overcropping with deforestation cause i cudnt think of much srps so i guess its still 2 points! as long as it was relating to the sahel??im ok then!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

deise59 wrote: »
    The exams simply too long. Either make some of the question less long-winded or give us more time. Barely anyone in my class finished the exam.

Yes, the majority of my year was still writing AFTER they said 'Time up'!!

Geography definitely needs more time!!!
    at least another 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nivag

BULLER wrote: »
    Me too! What did ye get for number 8 of the short questions? I thought that was the most tricky (theyre all fairly simple otherwise).
    I answered 12 of them so I think I've secured full marks there. :)

On question 3 part C "Examine, with reference to actual examples, the measurement and effects of earthquakes"
    I found it difficult to integrate my earthquake casestudy with the measurement. I could only really talk about that the seismograph measured X on the Richter scale and that the epicenter was triangulated using outposts... thats it. If the marks were split 50:50 between measurement and effects I'm fecked...

yeh same here. kinda just stated that like 9.1 was total destruction and 5 was moderate for the examples i used, awell.

muffinman wrote: »
    I said High and yeah 1.35km

It was low wasnt it, was only about 300 feet from the ground!??

Someone help me out by filling in the blanks/correct me:

Left background
    (centre?) background
    right background
    middle left
    middle centre
    middle right??
    ....etc???

i forget what i put lol???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

ah not great, didnt have enough time to finish.
    own fault really, didnt study near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scrivo

I thought the rule was that if you could see the horizon, it was low oblique. If not, it is high oblique. Couldn't see the horizon in that photo so it was high oblique. The run way was obviousl 1.35 km. Lol the other options were 135km and something even more ridiculous! Ever heard of a motorway the the length of Leinster?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 awaitingdrummer

on the human influence on a biome i didnt realise it said 2 things... i just went on and wrote 4 pages on stuff i thot was relevent... do u reckon they will dock many marks for not sticking to the 2 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

characteristics of desert biome was so easy

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scrivo

Not sure on this one. Was wondering the same. It is based on SRPs so surely if you give enough SRPs, they have to give you full marks. Not sure if they allocate hald SRPs for one part and the other for the other though...

barcoe4 wrote: »
    Yes, the majority of my year was still writing AFTER they said 'Time up'!!

Geography definitely needs more time!!!
    at least another 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah our guy kind of slowly walked around and individually collected and returned the people who were done, leaving a bit of time for the rest...
    It was low wasnt it, was only about 300 feet from the ground!??

Someone help me out by filling in the blanks/correct me:

Left background
    (centre?) background
    right background
    middle left
    middle centre
    middle right??
    ....etc???

i forget what i put lol???:eek:

The official system is here on pg. 13 and 23

http://examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2007/geography_lc_ce_report_2007_final_13_Feb_08.pdf

the middle ones are left middleground, centre middleground, right middleground

you got the background right, and the front goes by foreground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Adam08

Anyone know the answer for Q8 in the shorts? The faults one.

nd on the map of India I got the two urban centres wrong, how many marks do I lose.

And Finally how many marks go for coherance in the biome?

Scrivo wrote: »
    Not sure on this one. Was wondering the same. It is based on SRPs so surely if you give enough SRPs, they have to give you full marks. Not sure if they allocate hald SRPs for one part and the other for the other though...

The marking scheme for the 80 markers goes by "aspects" and you have to have either three or four aspects discussed, usually grouped into paragraphs and identified.. Then they mark you on either 8xSRPs each for 3 aspects or 6xSRPs each for 4 aspects.. And coherency marks are awarded accordingly..

Adam08 wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer for Q8 in the shorts? The faults one. No I'm not sure :confused:

nd on the map of India I got the two urban centres wrong, how many marks do I lose. Probably 2 and 2.. I doubt any more

And Finally how many marks go for coherance in the biome? Depends on how many aspects you discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Adam08

Cheers for the help, I did 4 aspects in the biome, all seperate paragraphs, I had no time to read over it so Ive no idea how well it read.

Yeah our guy kind of slowly walked around and individually collected and returned the people who were done, leaving a bit of time for the rest...

The official system is here on pg. 13 and 23

http://examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2007/geography_lc_ce_report_2007_final_13_Feb_08.pdf

the middle ones are left middleground, centre middleground, right middleground

you got the background right, and the front goes by foreground

Bollox!

i said centre middle and left front, forgot the ground in both cases
    Bollox!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Bollox!

i said centre middle and left front, forgot the ground in both cases
    Bollox!

Alright Barcoe whats the craic!

Yeah i remembered the middleground on my recheck.

Thought it was a sexy paper, i only studied The Hydrological Cycle and BAM! it came up.

Advertisement