Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Exam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

barcoe4 wrote: »
    Bollox!

i said centre middle and left front, forgot the ground in both cases
    Bollox!

Yeah as I said I wouldn't have had a clue if I hadn't looked at that Examiner's Report beforehand.. I wanted to check something about the option and just ended up reading the whole thing.. Paid off.. with 4 marks lol

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Thought it was a sexy paper, i only studied The Hydrological Cycle and BAM! it came up.

Ah so it was the hydrological cycle.. I wasn't sure so I didn't do the question.. Didn't like the way they phrased it. And the climate change question was ridiculous.. One argument for and one argument against the view that climate change is occurring.. There is no argument against.. There's an argument against human-influenced climate change, but nobody denies natural climate change (Ice Age and El Nino as examples..)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

For Q8 on shorts i think i put transform on A and C and normal on B and Reverse on D but its prob totally wrong as i never bothered my ass ever looking at plate tectonics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Alright Barcoe whats the craic!

Yeah i remembered the middleground on my recheck.

Thought it was a sexy paper, i only studied The Hydrological Cycle and BAM! it came up.

is dat mikey trainor?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

barcoe4 wrote: »
    is dat mikey trainer?

Yep.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Adam08

mattfender wrote: »
    For Q8 on shorts i think i put transform on A and C and normal on B and Reverse on D but its prob totally wrong as i never bothered my ass ever looking at plate tectonics!
    I did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Those short questions were probably the easiest ive ever seen. Flew through them. The OS maps gave you the answer for looking at the right place.

ahh rite lol, i was wonderiing when I was going to run into someone i actually knew on boards, finally!:D

Those short questions were probably the easiest ive ever seen. Flew through them. The OS maps gave you the answer for looking at the right place.

ye the lads were disagreeing with me, I thought the exact same, the maps were as easy as shi* and The graph questions were equivalent to Foundation maths!!
    like How many of these buildings have 3 floors.....pfttt ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

For the Graf about population, did you have to add the devopd countries population with the developing populations to get the total?

• Advertisement

For the Graf about population, did you have to add the devopd countries population with the developing populations to get the total?

That's what I originally thought, and wrote, but then common sense told me that the world's population in 2000 was only 6 billion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

muffinman wrote: »
    That's what I originally thought, and wrote, but then common sense told me that the world's population in 2000 was only 6 billion
    S**t
    thats 20 points gone

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

just loging in,
    seen it sorta went ok with ye all,
    despite the timing!

i JUST finished on time!
    attempted them all so was happy enough :)

for the ques on countries expanding to the EU
    and how it helps the economy,
    i said:
    ireland gets grants, etc for agriculture
    basically used all my Business knowledge

is that anything near what they were looking for?:confused::confused:

laura* wrote: »
    for the ques on countries expanding to the EU
    and how it helps the economy,
    i said:
    ireland gets grants, etc for agriculture
    basically used all my Business knowledge

is that anything near what they were looking for?:confused::confused:

I was kind of wondering the same, but I'd say if you mentioned that when the EU expanded in 1973 that Ireland received that you'll be fine.. But also, it was the EEC back then, so I'm getting a little worried.. Oh well I'll just have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

I was kind of wondering the same, but I'd say if you mentioned that when the EU expanded in 1973 that Ireland received that you'll be fine.. But also, it was the EEC back then, so I'm getting a little worried.. Oh well I'll just have to wait and see

cool,
    well i didnt know the year!

and also i really didnt have a clue at all of geog
    so i feel sorry for the person who has to read my script of crap!

hope i pass though!

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

EDIT: no i did it right..
    so for 2050 is it 11 billion?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Thought it was a pretty nice paper, nothing too hard. I was expecting a change this year from the other two years but it was basically a re-hash of everything again.

I came out feeling very confident that I got the A1 but as I look back over the paper now, I'm having second thoughts.

Short questions were grand, as always! I did Question 1 on the Physical, it was perfect, absolutely perfect! I did Question 5 on the Regional, it was grand, wasn't really expecting Culture in India though and hadn't really studied it that well, but remembered a lot of it. Although a lot of my answer for that was a bit waffly. I think the examiner might suss that.

For the Elective, I did Question 8, but I think I completely answered it wrong. For Sustainable Economic Development, I wrote all about the Corrib Gas Field, which is really more so about Local and Global Interests. Now, I think I might have 0 out of 30 for that question which means I can wave bye-bye to my A1! Anyone think the Corrib would've been okay here? I need honest opinions! I kept trying to mention sustainable economic development in the answer but I mainly talked about the conflict between the local people and Shell. I think I completely messed it up.

The Option was absolutely perfect. I did Global Interdepence, and the question was perfect. Global Warming and Deforestation, bish bash bosh, 4 pages, 80 marks in the bag hopefully!

Such a hard exam to get finished, we could definitely do with another 15 or 20 minutes. It was constant writing for me, 16 pages, ahhh my hand was aching!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

oleary91 wrote: »
    I did Fluvial Process on Dam building in Ardnacrusha and making the the River Rhine shorter
    Exactly the same two as me but I had a small bit on the colorado and the yangste in there at the end too. Mostly on the rhein though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

EDIT: no i did it right..
    so for 2050 is it 11 billion?
    I had 9.2 Billion. hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I don't actually do geography but I just thought I'd sicken you with this fact :
    There was a poster of the water cycle left up in our room for the exam.

Heard it came up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kfc123

Fairly good paper. Delighted isostasy didn't come up. Physical Q1 very very easy. Did regional Q on agriculture in Ireland + EU expansion - happy with that. Elective Q was testing. Did one on changing land use + migration. Biome very easy. Short Q's good. Overall A2/B1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stuba9

Am absolutely delighted with that Paper!Was only hoping for a B2 could possibly get an A2 if not an A1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leixy

For MASS MOVEMENT in the Human interaction section of Q.1 (c)

I somehow ended up writing bout human interaction with quarrying.
    Have i lost all the thirty marks????

CoolCiaran wrote: »
    For the Elective, I did Question 8, but I think I completely answered it wrong. For Sustainable Economic Development, I wrote all about the Corrib Gas Field, which is really more so about Local and Global Interests. Now, I think I might have 0 out of 30 for that question which means I can wave bye-bye to my A1! Anyone think the Corrib would've been okay here? I need honest opinions! I kept trying to mention sustainable economic development in the answer but I mainly talked about the conflict between the local people and Shell. I think I completely messed it up.

I looked at it and it sounded like a Human Elective question.. It seems like they were looking for something about the NDP but I never did the Economic Elective so I don't know if that's even on it.. Ignore me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Sorry I know this is a late response to a few posts ago but I just wanna mention this "OMG there's no time change it"
    Honestly, there is a HUGE amount of time...Consider the marking scheme : 30 marks - 12 SIGNIFICANT RELEVANT Points - If you write too much then clearly what you're writing is IRRELEVANT !!
    So ya, there is enough time in Geog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Ireland map i did so awful!! But they cant dock marks for not being an artist can they??! Got all the features in like.. Was wicklow mts a major feature of physical landscape?

My Ireland map was hilarious. I actually couldn't stop laughing after I'd drawn it, I'm sure the examiner was wondering what I was up to :pac:

I used Wicklow Mts too...I don't see how it couldn't be really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

Easy I thought as well, short qs were easy although I did forget to bring in a calculator so a few of the maths type ones were tricky.

The rest was easy as well, did the physical one on plate tectonic & limestone feature then the regional one on farming in Paris Basin & development of San Francisco.

After that I did one on Galway's development and Brazil after colonisation.

Desertification & deforestation were about the only things I actually revised so it was handy to see both come up in the same essay question!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

melboix wrote: »
    My Ireland map was hilarious. I actually couldn't stop laughing after I'd drawn it, I'm sure the examiner was wondering what I was up to :pac:

I used Wicklow Mts too...I don't see how it couldn't be really!

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one :P

A teacher told us to use the one (the tiny one) which is printed on all the OS maps (legend side) to guide us, but I think it messed mine up even more. My West side was..let's just say..interesting..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

**** the bastard who thinks its alright to give us 2 hrs 50 mins for that exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Nato!

the timeing was grand i was finished the test with 30 mins to spare so i made up my own geoecology question and did that WITH MY LEFT HAND. . . not

Advertisement