Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what would you get for a '07 D4D Corolla

Options
  • 06-06-2008 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Bought in January 2007, Luna spec, with silver met - new shape - 1.4 D4D engine.
    Less than 20k KM on the clock.

My work profile has changed and I am doing like 70 miles a week, and cannot justify the car anymore, so I'm thinking of downsizing - and buying an older supermini A to B type car..... but before I start looking around and making moves, I was wondering:

(a) Should I try and sell it privately (no finance on it)
    (b) Should I see if any toyota dealers would be me some kind of deal?

In either situation, what sort of price do you think I should be getting for the car.

Cheers,

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Is a yaris or similar going to be any cheaper to run?

You own the car you have, why not keep it at this stage. It will still be worth good money in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm not too sure it'd be worth selling privately or going to dealers tbh. Dealers wouldn't do a deal as they are struggling to sell their second hand stock at the moment. And to sell privately you'd have to sell cheap if you're going to sell at all. I'd say keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm thinking you should ask around €20k and be prepared to take 19k

As the other lads suggested, I think you should hang on to it, a supermini probably won't get the late 50's to the gallon that the Corolla does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A new D-4D Luna is €23,760 from July, with lower road tax to boot , so I think €19k is slightly optimistic, though unlike me colm_mcm sells Toyotas so he'd obviously know more than me;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

supply and demand...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭matsil

Thanks for the input folks.

Well just to explain why - selling is a double edged sword really....
    The other part is that my wife is looking at giving up work to look after our baby full time - sale of the corolla should clear the finance on my wifes car, which is a '08, then the balance would be for a mickey mouse runabout tye car for myself - dunno what, budget dependent......

Its not a case of the sale of the corolla is a make or break for the wife giving up work - its just that I find it hard to justify two new cars on the drive when the Mrs. isn't working and I'm only doing mickey mouse miles. At 70 miles a week, running costs really don't come into the equation in terms of fuel economy of my D4D 'vs' a supermini type thing........ I'm talking likea 1 litre yaris or something.

Anyway - back to the pricing - if I got something in the region of 19k it would make it very worthwhile doing the deal. Anyone I have spoken too comments on how the D4D's are like gold dust and are very hard to get - so in spite of the somewhat stagnant car market, there is prehaps a niche demand for a spotless met silver D4D with low mileage????

Yes I would like to keep it - its a fabulous car - great economy - lovely to drive - plenty of power etc....... but its like 7 miles to my place of work, of while 4 miles a 1st gear stop go traffic, and the remaining is through industrial / commercial estates......

Thanks for the input.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Advertise it for what Colm suggests (maybe 19.5k to make the figure more attractive) and see what happens. If you sell it, then great. Don't lose too much on it though - it'll always be worth good money, especially with low mileage. Maintain a proper service history if you keep it.

Advertisement