Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest ever sporting rifle

Options
  • 06-06-2008 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Just came across this on the shooting times website here is the article and the url.to the video footage. A little overkill for rabbits I think :D:D
    ST exclusively reports on the test-firing of the Royal Armouries' new 2-bore - the biggest ever sporting rifle.

The word “bang” simply doesn’t do justice to the effect this rifle has. But that’s not surprising given that the London Proof House had to use a new proof mark stamp after testing this behemoth. As well as the crown, the new mark has the number 2 stamped inside the diamond — that would be a 2 to denote 2-bore. “When you pull the trigger, it’s like presiding over your own personal earthquake,” remarked Giles Whittome, when, with a degree of trepidation, I joined him last week at the West London Shooting School to testfire a unique example of the gunmaker’s art. If he meant to calm any nerves prior to pulling the trigger, it didn’t work. Giles is a forensic firearms consultant, rifle collector, gunmaker and an occasional instigator of exotica such as this 26lb mammoth of a gun.
    He was clearly giddy with anticipation. Everything about this rifl e is exaggerated — the enormous tree trunk sized fore-end, the thick-walled barrel, which could double as an acro prop, and the hefty falling-block action that wouldn’t be out of place on a harpoon gun. It looks like a fabulous piece of make-believe, a gun designed not to take down an elephant, but a tyrannosaurus rex. That it is a bit out of the ordinary is a given. This rifle was commissioned by the Royal Armouries (RA) for its own collection as an exhibition piece. In 1997, it felt there would be a certain attraction in marking the turn of the millennium — in which the number 2 had a prominent role — with the creation of a piece of gunmaking history, a bespoke 2-bore blackpowder rifle. The fact that it has been made at all is fortunate, as Giles explained: “The RA only has a limited grant and I was lucky they asked me to make this. In the year they commissioned it, the RA also bought one of Henry VIII’s suits of armour for £1.8million, which could easily have put a stop to this project.”
    The rest of this article appears in 29 May issue of Shooting Times.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoa5zNn0TU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Just came across this on the shooting times website here is the article and the url.to the video footage. A little overkill for rabbits I think :D:D
    ST exclusively reports on the test-firing of the Royal Armouries' new 2-bore - the biggest ever sporting rifle.

The word “bang” simply doesn’t do justice to the effect this rifle has. But that’s not surprising given that the London Proof House had to use a new proof mark stamp after testing this behemoth. As well as the crown, the new mark has the number 2 stamped inside the diamond — that would be a 2 to denote 2-bore. “When you pull the trigger, it’s like presiding over your own personal earthquake,” remarked Giles Whittome, when, with a degree of trepidation, I joined him last week at the West London Shooting School to testfire a unique example of the gunmaker’s art. If he meant to calm any nerves prior to pulling the trigger, it didn’t work. Giles is a forensic firearms consultant, rifle collector, gunmaker and an occasional instigator of exotica such as this 26lb mammoth of a gun.
    He was clearly giddy with anticipation. Everything about this rifl e is exaggerated — the enormous tree trunk sized fore-end, the thick-walled barrel, which could double as an acro prop, and the hefty falling-block action that wouldn’t be out of place on a harpoon gun. It looks like a fabulous piece of make-believe, a gun designed not to take down an elephant, but a tyrannosaurus rex. That it is a bit out of the ordinary is a given. This rifle was commissioned by the Royal Armouries (RA) for its own collection as an exhibition piece. In 1997, it felt there would be a certain attraction in marking the turn of the millennium — in which the number 2 had a prominent role — with the creation of a piece of gunmaking history, a bespoke 2-bore blackpowder rifle. The fact that it has been made at all is fortunate, as Giles explained: “The RA only has a limited grant and I was lucky they asked me to make this. In the year they commissioned it, the RA also bought one of Henry VIII’s suits of armour for £1.8million, which could easily have put a stop to this project.”
    The rest of this article appears in 29 May issue of Shooting Times.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoa5zNn0TU

all right i will buy one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hmm,nice handy discreet little piece.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Here is another good one, a .50 cal handgun:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

biggun.jpg lahti.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Gunter

What the hell is the yoke on the right?

Regards

Hungarian "Destroyer" 14.5 X114. Smokeless ammo Anti Material/personel rifle.Anyone got about 15K handy and a VERY understanding Super?:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

kerryman12 wrote: »
    Gunter

Regards

Kerry, think it's 20mm wing mounted, sounds small in number I know but gets the job done:rolleyes: deffo not an ACME job.

The pic on the right is a 20mm Lathi Anti tank rifle,with some custom work done.Going by the CNC cookbook.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The pic on the right is a 20mm Lathi Anti tank rifle,with some custom work done.Going by the CNC cookbook.

Correct Grizzly. Spotted what lay hidden just after the posting well done. Still got the 20mm bit....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Rovi wrote: »

Now that puts Dirty Harrys . 44 mangum to shame :D:D

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Now that puts Dirty Harrys . 44 mangum to shame :D:D

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Riflehunter77, really honestly not picking on you.... but...... maybe not the best thing to be posting on the forum!........ maybe I'm wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

kerryman12 wrote: »
    Gunter

Regards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, it is a famous film quote so I had it down under :rolleyes: rather than under :mad:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, it is a famous film quote so I had it down under :rolleyes: rather than under :mad:
    :D

True....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Riflehunter77, really honestly not picking on you.... but...... maybe not the best thing to be posting on the forum!........ maybe I'm wrong though!

No offence taken on my half E. Fudd..

Advertisement