Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rock diciline

Options
  • 06-06-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

just got john petrucci's rock dicipline dvd. ive only spent 10 minutes on his warmup exercises for the left hand and already my hand is in pieces. should i spend any more than 10 minutes at this until i build up muscles and co-ordination, as it hurts my hand quite a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

fguihen wrote: »
    just got john petrucci's rock dicipline dvd. ive only spent 10 minutes on his warmup exercises for the left hand and already my hand is in pieces. should i spend any more than 10 minutes at this until i build up muscles and co-ordination, as it hurts my hand quite a bit.

this is a fantastic Dvd for building a rock solid technique.the warm up exercises will be tough on the hands at the start.take your time&dont force the stretches and youll gradully be able to stretch out your fingers and hand with ease when playing.

stick at it and remember dont blaze your way through the ex.take your time

good luck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

fguihen wrote: »

Ah the warmup exercises for the left hand are nasty, lots of stretches, so yeah, it's going to hurt for a while. If it's getting a bit much, work one some of the other exersizes, then come back to it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Never play through pain or discomfort.

A warm-up serves to slowly and gently bring the hands from doing nothing, to playing at your usual intesity. It's not supposed to be tiring, the purpose is just to not 'shock' your muscles with sudden effort and cause an injury.

I couldn't tell you exactly how long you need to do it, it depends on your own level of 'fitness' and also how strenous you are going to be playing. But i'll repeat the first point - NEVER play through pain or discomfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, if you're not used to stretching your fingers, then it's going to be very uncomfortable to begin with, but yeah, definitely don't hurt yourself. In those excersizes, JP does some extremely advanced stuff, which you probably won't be able to do for a long time yet. Stick with the basic stetches untill it's totally comfortable for you.

Advertisement