Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get best value USD.

• 06-06-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I'm going to the states in two weeks and just wondering what is the best way to go about getting a good exchange rate for the euro.

Standard bank, airport bank, currency exchange place or just use ATM's once I get over there. I have a credit card, but not sure what the fee will be for withdrawing cash with it once i'm over there.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

shoutman wrote: »
    Hey
    I'm going to the states in two weeks and just wondering what is the best way to go about getting a good exchange rate for the euro.

Standard bank, airport bank, currency exchange place or just use ATM's once I get over there. I have a credit card, but not sure what the fee will be for withdrawing cash with it once i'm over there.

Thanks

Okay, u got here from Travel:)

Fee for AIB and BOI CC use is 1.75% which is built into the rate on your cc statement.

If u decide to go and use the cc, ring the issuer first and advise them of ur travel plans, locations/ cites etc as US is outside the chip and pin and they are v jumpy so a courtesy call may save any embarrassment

People get hung up about this fee, as u will see if u peruse this side of the forum a bit.

I have contributed here a few times on this issue
    see
    ttp://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054985155&highlight=exchange
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977351&highlight=exchange
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054970680&highlight=exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'd go to your branch to get the USD. Maybe call ahead and order it. Ask them to waive the F/x fee.... no harm in asking.

As for chip & pin, I was in Boston & Chicago last year and I never used it once. Its all signature on electronic pads. I used the CC over 20 times.

I would use your ATM card for taking out cash while your there. Check your card to make sure it has Cirrus on the back. If not contact your bank to upgrade your card.

I would not use a CC for taking out cash, its simple far to expensive. Also, CC providers will charge you alot more interest for Cash Advance and it will always be the last thing to clear on you CC balance, just so they can max profits on your ass!

Advertisement