Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers Medium Strength

Options
  • 06-06-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

I was driving out of Newcastle West today, and saw a billboard advertising Bulmers Medium Strength cider. But i can't find anything about it on the net and have not heard any mention of it on radio/tv.

Has anybody seen the cider?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey man. I tried it in Sligo a week ago and although I am not a huge fan of cider I did like it. I mostly use some cider for cooking and making Diesel. A real thirst quencher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Isn't there a different Bulmers in the UK? What we know as Bulmers here is called Magners over there because they had a Bulmers already......which might be the one you saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i doubt c&c would allow that to happen. i read a while back that Scottish & Newcastle only revived the bullmers name over there in the last few years to capitalise on the bullmers name, and their associated rights.

I beg to differ - there's a different UK-based company. Messrs. Magner and Bulmer started brewing cider years ago but split up - Bulmer retained the international trademark for the name Bulmers, hence C&C can't call it Bulmers outside our fair isle!

http://www.bulmer.com/age.cfm?url=/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers_(Republic_of_Ireland)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Bulmer

but the c&c bullmers would have the rights for the republic. kind of like the difference between tayto here and the completely different tayto up north. The uk Bullmers have the international rights to the name, but not the irish rights as they licensed the rights to the name in ireland long long ago

• Advertisement

Yeah, yeah for sure. Sorry, I'd thought your post was a response to later posts, not the OP!

no problemo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Prenderb wrote: »
    Isn't there a different Bulmers in the UK? What we know as Bulmers here is called Magners over there because they had a Bulmers already......which might be the one you saw.
    I'm well aware of the Bulmers/Magners thing. Its not possible that i saw the British 'Bulmers' as Scottish & Newcastle who produce it don't have the licence rights to produce their Bulmers cider here. No what i saw was our own Bulmers, but with 'Medium Strength' after it.

Now back to my OP, does anyone know anything about it, seen any ads for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Yeah I saw a few posters up in a nightclub in Limerick last thursday night.
    A mid-strength cider, 2.3% vol iirc
    C&C has developed a Bulmers mid-strength formula (2.3%ABV). This will trial in Munster from May. In addition, 330ml PET plastic bottles will be produced to target sales at music festivals and sport events.

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?code=cotn:CCR.L&display=discussion&id=4010206&action=detail

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I have tried it, just tastes more like Cidona!! Only 2.3% and it's Bulmer's here, and Magner's in UK as they do not have the copyright to Bulmer's in the UK and it was the Magner's family it originated with I think that's the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I had some lovely 2% cider in France recently, but Bulmers would have to tweak more than the abv to get me to drink it.

Also, what's with the mid-strength tag? Just because Guinness had a (failed?) release under that name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd say it's tough to come up with a suitable euphemism. Nobody wants "Low Alcohol" or "Half Strength". "Mid-Strength" probably just sounds less like "Weak" to the focus groups -- the only people who matter to large brewers.

Why, what do you call the low-alcohol versions of your beers, noby?

Empties? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm "fond" of my Cider drinking most nights of the week.
    I've tried quite a few ciders in my time...my favorites being
    Hudsen Blue and Inches stone house.

I only buy bulmers when I can afford it
    I've been Looking for Alcohol free cider every place
    (no wise cracks about Cidona....please) but could not find it.

Found the Bulmers mid strength Last night and its actually quite pleasant.
    The problem was it was 3.50 for a Pint Bottle in the off License which to
    me is a crazy price.

I love cider and the taste of cider, I dont drink anything else, (other than vodka sometimes) since I was a teenage I never became fond of Beer, Larger, Pils, ale, stout or any other spirits.

I wanted to see if I could find an Alcohol free cider and drink that to see
    if my body would grave the Alcohol or if I would be happy drinking the
    stuff with out the Alcohol.

Basically I wanted to give up the drink without giving up the drink!

~B

Uhm, apple juice, perhaps?

noby wrote: »
    Uhm, apple juice, perhaps?

Thats like telling a Wine Drinker to go off and drink some grape juice
    or a glass of mi-wadi.

~B

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bullets wrote: »
    I've been Looking for Alcohol free cider every place
    (no wise cracks about Cidona....please) but could not find it.
    Cidona, at least according to this site, is dealcoholised Bulmer's. In what way does it not meet your needs?

Thats like telling a Wine Drinker to go off and drink some grape juice
    or a glass of mi-wadi.

~B

If a wine drinker wanted a non-alcoholic wine, and not the cidona of the wine world, then yes I probably would recommend grape juice. Kopparberg have a non-alcoholic 'cider', but that tastes like muck anyway. Try and get a good bottle of apple juice - preferably something dry, not too sweet.

Cheers for the suggestions.

When I dont drink Cider, I do drink Cidona and Applejuice. They Taste apple like but they just does not taste like cider. Some nights I will drink 3 litres of Juice!

Its something that tastes the same is what I am after.

Nice to know that Kopparberg to an alc free cider. I dont mind their regular pear stuff
    but in moderation.

The Stowford Press LA Cider looks interesting. It would be perfect if it
    was a dry cider:
    http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2_56&products_id=353

If my local offy cant source some I may try ordering some myself.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Found the Bulmers mid strength Last night and its actually quite pleasant.
    The problem was it was 3.50 for a Pint Bottle in the off License which to
    me is a crazy price.
    If you think that price is dear, try paying €4 for it in a certain off-licence in Limerick ;)

Advertisement