Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine cutting out - immobiliser?

Options
  • 06-06-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I was doing a few small jobs on my 98 Seat Cordoba before the NCT on Sunday and now the engine keeps cutting out.

What I did beforehand?
    1) Changed a brake light bulb.
    2) Topped up the power steering fluid.
    3) Topped up the windscreen washer water.

When I was finished the above I go to start the engine and it starts but then cuts out and doesn't respond to revving the engine or pushing the starter motor i.e. turning the key again. I remember having a similar experience before and the immobiliser was the problem. So I got the spare key (wiht the remote bit on) and locked and opened the car, pressed the remote button etc and no joy - still keeps starting for a second and then dying.

Thanks for so much for any advice anyone can offer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - sounds like the immobiliser. If both keys don't work then it could easily be the read coil at the ignition switch. Your gonna need to have it seen to. The fault memory will have the exact fault logged.

IIRC, your Cordoba has a seperate immobiliser, rather than the later type that was incorporated into the dash clock unit. If it's the older type then it shouldn't be too expensive to have fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

Sugar! Means getting a garage callout to home then. And defaulting on some of the NCT fee for Sunday. Just bad luck I suppose.

Thanks for the response crosstownk.

Advertisement