Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance and firearms?

Options
  • 06-06-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I was just wondering if any of you folks had problems with insuring firearms as a house contents excess. A few of mine pass the €2500 point of an individual household item so would need to be listed as an excess. I went to get them listed at renewal time and they said "no, won't insure firearms". I asked them why and they said they just won't, but the will insure shotguns :confused:
    This got my back up, so why pick on rifles and pistols I asked?
    There's no provision for this kind of thing. So I asked them do they insure golf clubs, "oh yes sir we do", "do you wish them to be added as an excess". So you do insure sporting equipment I asked again "yes of course", so why won't you insure my sports equipment used for competitive target sports.
    Yep, you can guess the answer "I'm sorry we don't insure that sort of thing and I've spoken to my supervisor and that's just the way it is"

So what's a guy supposed to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Change your insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

dresden8 wrote: »
    Change your insurance company?

Maybe you’re kind of missing my point.
    What’s the difference if stolen between an expensive firearm correctly stored and say an expensive set of golf clubs thrown behind the kitchen door (keep the moral arguments out of it, just keep it about the money). Both cost the same to replace for insurance value so as such should be treated as the same in my opinion. There’s no greater monetary risk to the insurance company so what’s their issue?
    It’s not insurance for usage just replacement value if stolen I’m looking for (this was clearly explained to them).
    Just opting for the quick fix of shopping around until you find a company that will accept you just don’t cut it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I think you're missing the point they've already told you to eff off.

You'll never be able to convince them they're tossers. Walk away.

Anyway, you should be shopping around every renewal. That's how those scumbags are getting away with ripping us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

as dresdan says, change company. try hibernian or fbd. as far as I know, both will give all risks cover on the firearms and may also provide personal liability cover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Out of curiousity, and i admit i know absolutely NOTHING about this so please forgive me if it's a stupid question BUT.. if you have a firearm in the house, and it is specifically named on the house insurance policy, if that firearm is used to ACCIDENTALLY injure someone can they claim off the house insurance?
    And in a related question: I am assuming you can get some kind of gun related insurance for personal injuries/public liability insurance when you're out shooting, is this obligatory?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Shooting insurance is not a legal requirement and their is no need to make it compulsory as most shooters have insurance, especially the one in the shooting/gun clubs.
    Insurance is also provided to the FBD farming community through FBD in most of the general farming policies that they offer..
    I am current insured with FBD countryside, which is for people involved in rural past-times but it also provides public liability for any dog which the policy holder has licensed in his/her name. I also have insurance cover through Country Side Alliance.. Dont ask????

But the dog cover is great from FBD..
    As for your question on injury caused by a firearm:
    i would imagine that if the injured party was able to prove that the firearm owner left such a firearm in an unsafe location and this had a direct bearing on or leading to the injury, then i would think that the injured party might have a genuine case to submit to a injury's claims board

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Shooting insurance is not a legal requirement
    Breathing in is not a legal requirement either, but like shooting insurance, you'd have to be pretty thick to not do it...
    their is no need to make it compulsory
    It is compulsory for most target shooters. You can't take part in most competitions unless you're insured (in some cases, taking part in the competition puts you on the club insurance for the day). Read the little notices you see on the competition posters and club rules.
    As for your question on injury caused by a firearm:
    The firearm is a bit of a red herring. If your house insurance covers you for public liability, you're meant to be covered regardless of how the accident happens. Check your documents though, if you read the wrong answer on the internet, that won't be a defense in court and most people tend to like their houses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

hello i am going to F-B-D insurance tomorrow 9-6-2008 to get a insurance
    disk for my car also they insurance my house. my shooting insurance
    is from N-A-R-G-E- i will ask about my rifle as sporting goods for
    my hobbie are they cover i will post the ans tomorrow night.
    steve:)

Sparks wrote: »
    Breathing in is not a legal requirement either, but like shooting insurance, you'd have to be pretty thick to not do it...

It is compulsory for most target shooters. You can't take part in most competitions unless you're insured (in some cases, taking part in the competition puts you on the club insurance for the day). Read the little notices you see on the competition posters and club rules.

The firearm is a bit of a red herring. If your house insurance covers you for public liability, you're meant to be covered regardless of how the accident happens. Check your documents though, if you read the wrong answer on the internet, that won't be a defense in court and most people tend to like their houses...
    Sparks;
    Angelfire9 asked the question about insurance, i.e Is insurance for shooting obligatory? Fact is, insurance is not a legal requirement! Breathing is not either so dont go holding your breath, waiting for be to get all hot and bothered.

Secondly it not a legal requirement to have insurance for target shooting, i accept that events at which you shoot and possibly any international tournaments might have a requirement for participants to posses the relevant insurance but this does not make it a legal requirement,

You are however correct that it would be madness to shoot with out insurance especially when one considers its low cost.........

Sparks;
    Angelfire9 asked the question about insurance, i.e Is insurance for shooting obligatory?
    It can be, depending on your club. Not all the rules you have to follow are set by the Dail and obligatory has a wider meaning that legal.
    it not a legal requirement to have insurance for target shooting, i accept that events at which you shoot and possibly any international tournaments might have a requirement for participants to posses the relevant insurance but this does not make it a legal requirement,
    You still won't get to shoot without it at those events however, making it obligatory.

And frankly, if people start advocating shooting without it, it's only a matter of time before it gets made mandatory. It isn't in the Firearms Acts now mainly because everyone already has it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Read the insurence policy you have cover to cover. If it doesn't say fire arms are exempt then they will be included.
    Many years ago when I was into flying model aeroplanes the policy for the house stated it covered up to a certain size model for third party accidents.
    Of course if you are looking to get cover for a expensive fire arm and they tell you no way then change the company IMO.

Sparks wrote: »
    It can be, depending on your club. Not all the rules you have to follow are set by the Dail and obligatory has a wider meaning that legal.You still won't get to shoot without it at those events however, making it obligatory.

And frankly, if people start advocating shooting without it, it's only a matter of time before it gets made mandatory. It isn't in the Firearms Acts now mainly because everyone already has it...

if you shoot without insurance you would have to be so thick
    you should not have any type of firearm steve. and yes it
    should be mandatory to have insurance for any type of sports shooting:)

Shooting insurance is not a legal requirement and their is no need to make it compulsory as most shooters have insurance
    Sparks i seen those glasses you sport so i re posted this one for you to read it again..

Thanks for that Ivan. Let me return the favour by reposting the original question with some highlighting:
    I am assuming you can get some kind of gun related insurance for personal injuries/public liability insurance when you're out shooting, is this obligatory?

i was in F-B-D insurance today and the ans is yes under accidental cover
    on your house insuranced once IT IS NOT FOR HIRE OR REWARD
    if it is used outside the bound of your house and land it is not insurance
    i hope this will ans some of the ques.if the value of the firearm and scope are over 5000euro you must tell them so it can be specified on your house
    and land insurance.she then ask how much my rifle and scope is to buy new i said 700euro:D she ans is that all:eek:steve

Advertisement