Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis this afternoon (Fri)

• 06-06-2008 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

So, there I was passing the rank on Michael Street, around half four, when all the taxis started doing laps of the block and tooting the horns, holding up traffic, not picking up people on the rank and generally being a nuisance.

Apparently, someone made a comment along the lines of "get back to work...", so the cab jockeys took great offence to this and started throwing their toys out of the pram again.

Anyone know if this is the case, or what happened...??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

Sure they run the town ! NOT. Dont you think in this day that people wouldn't put up with that sort of crap anymore. they even got their own yellow box so they dont have to wait for the traffic to clear outside Dunnes ! Cocky arrogant p*****

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I doubt it, I am going with the fact they have been striking for sometime now and always seem to be on a Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

The guy i was with was looking for a taxi. He stuck his head in the window of one when it stopped at the lights asking if he could get a lift. Taxi driver said no. When my mate asked if it was a strike, driver said no.

Seems like they're just acting the little ****s again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They have a new rank outside Xtra Vision I see.. seems in the way if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The public should boycott them for a week. See how they like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The public should boycott them for a week. See how they like that.
    people definately should do this give em a taste of there own medicine!how can they expect the public to back them if there getting in the publics way and not doin what they,ve been given psv licences for!!!!! there complaining about lack of space well if thats the case the public should be outside the city council and the taxi regulators office for being overcharged and caused a nuisance from there little protests coz they can,t get there own way!!! they have taxi offices don,t they and phone numbers on there taxis for people to contact them!!!! but no they complain that they only "have 15 spaces" maybe the city council should give em none and see what they do then!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Sully wrote: »
    They have a new rank outside Xtra Vision I see.. seems in the way if you ask me.

Yup, the inside lane of the main route through the city to Cork is now a taxi rank at night. It wasn't so long ago my father got a ticket for parking there picking me up from work ....

i'm well up for a boycott. The only problem is when people fall out of the pubs and want to go home ! if there was any suggestions for that one the town would be laughing at the b******S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

hm, hard to say who's at fault here.
    To be honest, the regulator shouldnt have allowed so many taxi's in Waterford - I personally know plenty of people who've had to find a new line of work due to the amount of new drivers on the road - they're all pissed off.

And with that, the fact that there's literally no space in waterford for the amount of taxi's we have, means theyre moved on by gardaí whenever they're sitting around for too long - further fuelling tensions.

Coupled with this, the only way for drivers to really get work in waterford anymore is to pay the operators to get into the "inner circle". And personally, whenever I get a taxi it's an absolute last resort - ala, I've been drinking, and there's no designated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i'm well up for a boycott. The only problem is when people fall out of the pubs and want to go home ! if there was any suggestions for that one the town would be laughing at the b******S.
    well if your from tramore i,d suggest getting the last bus at 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

sitting in a taxi on way home from city about two weeks ago when a bunch of the cockrels started cackling about their next strike over the twoway, they smugly suggested blocking up the dunmore road on a firday evening because that would "really piss people off". They planned on driving at 5 mph in the hope of causing chaos, awa re it is both a major artery in and out of the sity and the main route to and from the hospital.
    There was a time I would have supported their efforts but they are vindictive slimsuckers who make my stomach churn and they don't deserve it.

Blocking up the Dunmore rd is just wrong ! that is bad enough as it is besides those cocky feckers making things worse. How do they expect to get any respect from people when all the want to do is cause chaos and piss people off ! And there is a few of them that are not that bad. Just the rest give em all the bad mane !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Blocking up the Dunmore rd is just wrong ! that is bad enough as it is besides those cocky feckers making things worse. How do they expect to get any respect from people when all the want to do is cause chaos and piss people off ! And there is a few of them that are not that bad. Just the rest give em all the bad mane !
    it was at least two weeks ago and it doesnt seem to have come to fruition thankfully, would have been a fairly bad choice to make had they gone through with it. It was just the the way it was suggested that got my goat tbh. I have (had) friends and family working the ranks in the past so I know they're not all asshats, I've just little respect for the way the majority feel obligated to take their angst out on the people of waterford. Its not like they're short of work and imo they're lucky they have jobs to go to as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

solas wrote: »
    it was at least two weeks ago and it doesnt seem to have come to fruition thankfully, would have been a fairly bad choice to make had they gone through with it. It was just the the way it was suggested that got my goat tbh. I have (had) friends and family working the ranks in the past so I know they're not all asshats, I've just little respect for the way the majority feel obligated to take their angst out on the people of waterford. Its not like they're short of work and imo they're lucky they have jobs to go to as it is.

If only they did all have jobs to go to, after all thats why they're trying to find somewhere to rank up because they don't have a job. Whats that saying " The Devil makes easy work for idle hands!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Seems businesses aren't impressed with them either. There's an article in this weeks Waterford People about a meeting that was to take place about the death of shopping in the city, but not many turned up, with a cited reason being the presence of taxi drivers at the meeting and the businesses not wanting to be associated with them due to their confrontational attitude.

Advertisement