Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValue Tramore to upgrade

• 06-06-2008 9:04pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One of Tramore’s largest employers is embarking on a multi-million euro upgrade of its premises, a supermarket expansion which will see it extend its popular range of fresh, healthy foods and offer nutritious, hot meals.

Tramore’s longest established supermarket, Quish’s SuperValu, is about to undergo a carefully-planned revamp, a project which will see the 17,000 square foot supermarket in Tramore store transformed into an exciting 21st century food store.

As well as benefitting customers, the move is also great news for the local economy and will see the Quish family increase their current workforce of 120 people to 140.

The imminent refurbishment will see the store adding an artisan home bakery where along with the regular types of bread and confectionary, in-store bakers will prepare over 30 different artisan breads from scratch. These will include Spelt, Mexican Tomato, Foccacia, Polish Bread, Corn and 100 per cent wholemeal. All will be baked early each day by fully qualified bakers using only the finest Irish flour.

Excited

Store owner, Sean Quish, is particularly excited about this addition to the Tramore store, as he has seen how successful this has been in his Ballincollig store which is managed by Waterford native Niall Shanaghy. The variety of fresh produce at the fish monger and butcher counters will be extended. All popular lines will be expanded right throughout the store and customers can look forward to even greater variety across all the own brand and leading brand lines - plus the addition of a new, home kitchen which will see the store providing nutritious, hot meals at lunch time and throughout the afternoon.

The car park at the supermarket will also see a massive transformation with layout changes and a more optimum use of the space planned. This popular store will remain open throughout the revamp.

Sean Quish thanked his customers for their support over the years and promised a bigger, brighter store in Tramore which will offer even greater value and range.

Popular addition

He anticipates the home kitchen will be a particularly popular addition to the store - providing families with ready-to-eat, nutritious meals which are prepared and cooked in-house.

“We have been planning an upgrade to the Tramore store for some time now and we have now come up with plans which are very exciting and will serve all of our customers’ needs.

“The population of Tramore has almost doubled in size since we took over the store back in 1996. Our customer base has now completely evolved and this revamp is tailored to meet that change. Our customers are now much more concerned with their health and product freshness. With this in mind, we are increasing the range of fresh fruits and vegetables along with providing an increased range of products from local, artisan producers,” he said.

Work on the revamp begins immediately and the ‘new look’ store will be completed and open in September.

Source: Munster Express

Good to see that the competition is heating up in Tramore and that SuperValue plans to hit back at the rapid increase of retail in the town. Competition is always good and they have really started to compete with pricing also. However, the article was done at the end of March and said work would begin immediately. All I have seen is new tills - and thats it. I cant see any new store opening in September.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭DenMan

Man I havn't been to Tramore in years. Would love to get back. Still early days man. September is 3 months away. Easons, which recently opened in Sligo took the old Burger King premises and gutted the place inside. They went from a shell to a fully operating book store in no time. It will start to happen quickly as the deadline gets closer. peace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya maybe so.. it being June and nothing started, I would have thought it would have taken a large amount of time to redesign their store and car park and remain open. But, it probably will. I just see other developments taking a long time and wonder how they can get it done so quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Hmmmm - I'm skeptical about this one... firstly they tout it as a major revamp, yet the store will remain open throughout. It sounds to me like a major superficial facelift if anything.

Personally, I despise Quish's SuperValu. They have had the market to themselves for years and did nothing - I have complained to their staff more times than I care to remember about the fruit and veg actually rotting on the shelves. It is disgusting most of the time - and the rest of the time the fruit and veg section bare!!

I also find it condescending that they announced this as the work on Tesco's got underway... I can't wait for the competition to open up in Tramore - Sean Quish had the run of things for years and all he did was fleece people!!

There was also a rumor (unsubstantiated I might add ;)) that SuperValu staff were advised to lodge objections to the Tesco's development as they would lose their jobs if it went ahead... True or not, I feel that attitude sums up SuperValu in Tramore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

a little bit harsh on SV I think, at the end of it SV are not the type of store to fully service a population of 8k on their weekly shopping runs and sure they objected (with tesco , lidl etc)what business woudn't halt competition if they could.
    Yes they are more geared for convenience shop than the full trolley, but thats the same with any SV across the country.
    Overall I think SV is ran fairly well , staff seem to be happy and friendly and they hire people across the spectrum, I'll still do the small runs in there as I do now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

rasper wrote: »
    Overall I think SV is ran fairly well , staff seem to be happy and friendly and they hire people across the spectrum, I'll still do the small runs in there as I do now.

Agreed. Its a lot better then when we had Londis. A hell of a lot better. The place is always kept looking good, even if the stock might not be the best. Staff are obliging and helpful and they do indeed hire anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Worked there for years and was happy enough (I knew I'd never be staying there long term but it was great to be a tad more independent when I was in college). My sis in law worked there for a time when she was between jobs and the atmosphere didn't sound so good at the time - but she thought they were running the place down and if they've got new tills that's obviously not the case (they last updated the tills around 99 or 2000 I'd say, oh the terror being trained in on these sophisticated new machines :D).

I'm living in Portarlington now and while the SV there is a fair bit smaller than the Tramore one, they managed to do a pretty good revamp and keep the shop open the whole time. I've actually been impressed with SV's new product range the times I've been in there recently - they've got healthy eating range with bags of pulses, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, unusual things like spelt and millet flour, and all at good prices. Some of these products I've only ever seen in health food stores before. Not sure if they have these things in Tramore yet (not that Portarlington is exactly cosmopolitan like! :D) and I remember my sis in law getting frustrated at not being able to get things like hummous but I'd say most supermarkets are moving with the times these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

I realize I sounded a bit anti SuperValu in my previous post - not at all. I used to work sales and the vast majority of SuperValu's are excellent - far better run than many of the bigger chains.

However my gripe is specifically with SuperValu Tramore. Sean Quish took over the shop 12 years ago and has done very little with it - in that time the only thing I have noticed is the tillls being changed.

They have been the only supermarket in Tramore for years - Early's wasn't much competition to it when it was there. There has been no real effort to up the quality, service offered or standard of produce in all this time, despite the shop raking in serious cash. I'm always disappointed going in there - I'm not looking for exotic items or anything... it is usually 50:50 whether you can pick up something like a fresh red pepper in there most days!! And as I mentioned the fresh produce they offer is awful - only last week I picked up a bag of mixed peppers which was leaking some sort of rot out of the bag...

The staff are grand - but would you not expect this of any store you went into? I would!

As I see it, Sean Quish is more interested in his other store - Tramore has been a cash cow. I find it insulting that they only start to up their game when the competition is on the way.

I was walking out of SV the other day with a friend I had met in there. I was annoyed because a) I had to change my dinner plans because they had no chicken fillets and b) the woman at the till took an eternity to deal with two customers. As I left, I was saying something along the lines of "God I hate SV & I can't wait for Tescos to open up". This woman walked over to me and said "Excuse me...".

Uh oh.... I thought I was in for a bit of bother for my SV bashing... to my surprise she said "You know, I agree with you 100% - coming to SV is an absolute misery every time!".

100% true, I promise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I can't see this happening, which is a pity because it'd be a nice touch. I ouldn't very surprised if Sean Quish sold the place in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

It will go ahead you don't put much advertising into something if you don't plan on doing it, I worked there when it was upgraded last time and it can be done the majority of the contractors then worked during the night so as not to disrupt the running of the supermarket

So, what do people think? Its nearly ready, after a few months of construction.. Looks very like Super Quinns new layout. Is it to late for Super Value? Or will he survie the influx of new retail into the town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Sully wrote: »
    So, what do people think? Its nearly ready, after a few months of construction.. Looks very like Super Quinns new layout. Is it to late for Super Value? Or will he survie the influx of new retail into the town?

Sure they're all much of a muchness anyway in that uniquely irish way of "Look, we charge exactly the same price as everybody else" way of "competition". It'll come down to whether I can be bothered walking to Tesco for something in particular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

I'm really liking the new bakery - all freshly baked from scratch yumm...:)
    no more frozen from France stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

depaor wrote: »
    I'm really liking the new bakery - all freshly baked from scratch yumm...:)
    no more frozen from France stuff..
    Just frozen stuff from Musgraves in Cork now!!!

scout353 wrote: »
    Just frozen stuff from Musgraves in Cork now!!!

Actually, that is so Untrue... I know one of the bakers who just started there.
    Anyway all you have to do is taste the bread to know!

The bakery is fresh stuff, but I think I prefer the old rolls over the new ones :p Nice idea though. Pitty there isnt that gorgeous smell that SuperQuinn has (even when you walk around outside it you smell it!). Super Valu is owned by Musgraves but not sure what depo the other stock comes from.

JMcL: Its a bit confusing all these reports, but Tesco and Lidl are the cheapest and offer a lot more branded products. I prefer getting my shopping in both of those over Super Valu. The competition is really only between these two, with Dunnes doing the odd shot. Super Quinn seem to get on fine without going all crazy but I think its more of a "premium" store.

Superquinn havnt made a profit since Fergal Quinn sold it! Might be a premium store but they dont sell enough of it.
    Currently speculated that it will shortly go up for sale and Musgraves are tipped to take it over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Sully wrote: »
    Pitty there isnt that gorgeous smell that SuperQuinn has (even when you walk around outside it you smell it!).

I would almost guarantee that the baking smell in Superquinn is a synthetic scent being pumped out at the door, hence being able to smell it outside. I do admit it's nice though!

depaor wrote: »
    Superquinn havnt made a profit since Fergal Quinn sold it! Might be a premium store but they dont sell enough of it.
    Currently speculated that it will shortly go up for sale and Musgraves are tipped to take it over...

Apparently they have...
    Supermarket group Superquinn has swung back into profit, after its acquisition by Irish consortium Select Retail Holdings in 2005. The company's improved situation has prompted the consortium of investors to enlist Goldman Sachs ahead of a potential sale. Although Superquinn represents a prime acquisition opportunity for the major chains, the economic climate may yet delay the sale.

Source:http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews+articleid_2553379.html
    Superquinn rebounds with sales of €620m
    By John Mulligan

Wednesday January 30 2008

Superquinn generated sales of over €620m in 2007, marking a significant turnaround for the once ailing retailer.Executive chairman Simon Burke revealed the performance at the Checkout retail conference yesterday, and said that Superquinn is "resurgent" following years of sharp revenue decline before it was acquired for €450m by private investors in 2005.

Strong

Speaking to the Irish Independent, Mr Burke said he is forecasting annualised sales at the group to rise in 2008 to €700m, more than Superquinn has ever achieved. He added that this will make it Ireland's fastest growing retailer. He noted that like-for-like sales in 2007 had been "strong" and that Superquinn is seeing a "sales trend we are very pleased with".

While Mr Burke would not divulge detailed financial figures, it is understood that the Superquinn chain is now operating on a profitable basis, following a sustained period where it was nursing considerable annual losses.

In 2002, Superquinn reported revenue of €660m, but this had fallen to €620m by 2003 and stood at €580m in 2006. Mr Burke said that in a three-year period the retailer's sales had fallen 20pc as it failed to tackle the challenge from competitors such as Tesco, Dunnes Stores and Marks & Spencer.

Established by Feargal Quinn in 1960, Superquinn was acquired in 2005 by Select Retail Holdings, a consortium that includes developers Bernard McNamara and Jerry O'Reilly, as well as businessmen David Courtney, Bernard Doyle and Terry Sweeney.

Superquinn raised €142m last year under a sale and leaseback agreement with Friends First, with the funds being earmarked to fuel expansion.

Mr Burke said that expansion will be "sustained" but he added the group is not seeking "blanket expansion". He said that the company is examining the potential of both Cork and Galway for what would be the first Superquinn stores in those cities. Four outlets are due to open in Dublin this year, while Mr Burke said that the retailer is currently in negotiations to acquire an additional site in the Dublin area. It will bring its total number of outlets to almost 30.

- John Mulligan
    Source: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/superquinn-rebounds-with-sales-of-8364620m-1277085.html

Not sure I believe he might not sell but..
    Superquinn not up for sale, says chief
    listen Wednesday, 3 September 2008 14:59

The chief executive of supermarket chain Superquinn has insisted that its owners have not put the business up for sale.

Simon Burke was speaking to RTÉ radio after a report in the Irish Times said six potential bidders had expressed interest in Superquinn, which is owned by the Select Retail Holdings consortium.

The paper said all of the potential offers had come from retailers, including Irish wholesale groups Musgrave, BWG, and UK supermarket chains Asda and J Sainsbury.
    Advertisement

Mr Burke said there had been several approaches to the company, but that at the moment it was doing no more than 'continue the conversation' with the parties involved.

Mr Burke said the management team was confident and excited about Superquinn's prospects, as it had been trading very well and its performance had recovered dramatically in the last couple of years. He would not comment on the Irish Times report that a value of €250m to €300m was being put on the company.
    Source: http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0903/superquinn.html

JMcL wrote: »
    I would almost guarantee that the baking smell in Superquinn is a synthetic scent being pumped out at the door, hence being able to smell it outside. I do admit it's nice though!

Either way, its great and encourages people to go in!

2007 was the only year the company made a profit since the take over.
    The only reason it made a profit in '07 was because it shed over 400 jobs in 2005 after a review presented that it was way overstaffed

just because they made a profit in one year doesnt mean the company has been brought over the line to profitability.

• Advertisement

Yay for competition!

SuperValu are having a launch day for the new store on Nov. 1st with special guest Dekery Mooney, enteratinement, WLRFM, Jugglers, Cookery Demo and much more!! Plus, they are offering shoppers €70 off your shopping by providing €10 vouchers (one a week for 7 weeks).

Also, they have invested in a keyfob/card similar to what Tesco and SuperQuinn have.

Thanks to Tesco for getting the compeition to revamp the store, increase special offers and implementing reward systems. :D

Advertisement