Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sequences And Series Part C)

Options
  • 06-06-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Is there anyone who know they have the right answer??:pac::pac::p:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

For what part?And whats the question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I'm pretty sure I got it right...... but I can't remember the exact answer, along the lines of "n cubed + 3 n squared + something + something + 2 to the power of n+1 + something"

I'm sure that's very helpful :)

Is this OL or HL

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Looks like no one did it?:eek:

• Advertisement

I do Ol so I'm no use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I did it. Here's the unexpanded version that you can tell from just looking at it

6 X n/6(2n+1)(n+1) +2X n/2(n+1) + 5n +2(2(to the power of n)-1)

raah! wrote: »
    I did it. Here's the unexpanded version that you can tell from just looking at it

6 X n/6(2n+1)(n+1) +2X n/2(n+1) + 5n +2(2(to the power of n)-1)

Thanks raah!
    Thats wat i got in the exam 2!
    Wasnt gonna do s&s until i decided 2 look over the formula at 11 last night.
    Lucky i did. nice question

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

For the (2 to the power of r) did you just have to treat it like the sum to N of a geometric?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ShogunWarrior

First I wrote 2^r as 2^( (n/2)(n+1) ) but that made no sense then wrote out the series 2^1, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4 etc... so a=2, r=2 and using a(1-r^n)/1-r you get what's above

• Advertisement

eoin2nc wrote: »
    For the (2 to the power of r) did you just have to treat it like the sum to N of a geometric?

Ya thats wat i did:pac:

Hey I've done out Q4 (c) (ii) here, hopefully it's right, looking at others' answers most of it is anyway :)

Attached PDF of the answer done out.

Would they take a mark off if you left it as 2.2(to the power of n) instead of 2(to the power of 1+n) at the end?:cool:

I don't think so really, I know it could be B(-3) maybe for not finishing but looking at the marking scheme for 2001 Q4 (c) (ii) which is a similar question there is no explicit blunders noted for not finishing etc., hopefully not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Ya thats wat i did:pac:

Thats good to hear. I wasn planning on doing Q4 until Q8 turned out to be impossible, well IMO

Advertisement