Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra 20% for projects in History, Geo, Homec

Options
  • 06-06-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Can anyone help??
    People who do homec history geo etc..
    Does the 20% bring you up much or is it like the oral in a language, it only brings you up couple of %??
    I'm relying on the 20% in 2 subjects and need help,
    some one who's good at maths i presume and knowswhat im talkin about??
    Cheers x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Its not an extra 20%.Its 20% and the rest of what you do is 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Well I got an A2 in LC History without having done any project! (i only decided to do the exam on a whim did it as an 8th subject outside of school) so i would imagine its not worth that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hoggie-bear

titan18 wrote: »
    Its not an extra 20%.Its 20% and the rest of what you do is 80%.

Okay so what if you got say 65% how much would it bring you up??

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Well I got an A2 in LC History without having done any project! (i only decided to do the exam on a whim did it as an 8th subject outside of school) so i would imagine its not worth that much!

no way, thats amazing fair play to ya..

It depends on what you get your for your project.Your not guaranteed the 20%

Angelfire9,did u do the old course as it's not possible to get an A2 in the new course witout doing a project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What exactly do you mean? 20% is 20%.

IF you do a history project, it's worth 20% and the written paper than only counts for 80%, just like with the orals, the written French paper is only 60%, oral and aural are 20% each.

I HAVE heard that you don't actually have to do a history project, I don't know how that would work (Answer 4 essay questions instead of 3, maybe...? Wouldn't risk it, no idea how you'd fit in the time) but according to our history teacher not doing the project makes it much harder - they tend to score pretty well as long as you get your teachers to keep helping you edit them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

It's worth 20%. I'm guessing they decided your project got lost and just didn't mark you on it, which was incredibly lucky of you.
    Or else your field of study was the old one.(a lot more likely...)

What exactly do you mean? 20% is 20%.

IF you do a history project, it's worth 20% and the written paper than only counts for 80%, just like with the orals, the written French paper is only 60%, oral and aural are 20% each.

I HAVE heard that you don't actually have to do a history project, I don't know how that would work (Answer 4 essay questions instead of 3, maybe...? Wouldn't risk it, no idea how you'd fit in the time) but according to our history teacher not doing the project makes it much harder - they tend to score pretty well as long as you get your teachers to keep helping you edit them...

I mean like say i got 65% in my written than say i got 15% in my project how much will it bring me up??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

If you got full marks in your geog report you have 20% in the bag.

Now to fill up the rest of this bag you need a further 80%.

Each question in Geog today was worth 20%(80 marks per Q)

So if you got 10%(40marks) in each of the 4 questions that means you get 40% added on to the 20% already in the bag.
    leaves you at a total of 40+20=60%. which is a C2(65 points)

So considering that we didn't have this field study in the mock, I guess you could look at this in a positive light of extra marks.

I mean like say i got 65% in my written than say i got 15% in my project how much will it bring me up??

80%.Are u serious?Or are u just having a laugh with us?

• Advertisement

barcoe4 wrote: »
    If you got full marks in your geog report you have 20% in the bag.

Now to fill up the rest of this bag you need a further 80%.

Each question in Geog today was worth 20%(80 marks per Q)

So if you got 10%(40marks) in each of the 4 questions that means you get 40% added on to the 20% already in the bag.
    leaves you at a total of 40+20=60%. which is a C2(65 points)

So considering that we didn't have this field study in the mock, I guess you could look at this in a positive light of extra marks.

Thank you haha i sound so stupid but i find it soo sonfusing..
    so there's a good chance it can bring you up

If you got 65% today that equals 52% of the 80% from today
    + if you got 15% in the project= 52%+15%= 67%(C1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Thank you haha i sound so stupid but i find it soo sonfusing..
    so there's a good chance it can bring you up

Look, just replace your score in the project with the positive integer variable x and your score in the written exam with the non-zero variable y. If you differentiate both, integrate them, subtract the constant of integration and then add the two together, you get your final mark overall.

BMH wrote: »
    Look, just replace your score in the project with the positive integer variable x and your score in the written exam with the non-zero variable y. If you differentiate both, integrate them, subtract the constant of integration and then add the two together, you get your final mark overall.

Emm ok il get right on that..:confused:

HAHA:p:D

barcoe4 wrote: »
    If you got 65% today that equals 52% of the 80% from today
    + if you got 15% in the project= 52%+15%= 67%(C1)

alrigh okay i getcha
    thanks as mill

titan18 wrote: »
    It depends on what you get your for your project.Your not guaranteed the 20%

Angelfire9,did u do the old course as it's not possible to get an A2 in the new course witout doing a project

When did they change the course? I did my leaving in the 1990's
    It's worth 20%. I'm guessing they decided your project got lost and just didn't mark you on it, which was incredibly lucky of you.
    Nope, if memory serves me right they actually have a place on the cover of the answer sheet to say whether you have submitted a project or not
    Or else your field of study was the old one.(a lot more likely...)
    Not sure what you mean by that?

Angel fire..........didnt you have to do a project learn it off then write it in the exam??? 1990s style...:p

Angel fire..........didnt you have to do a project learn it off then write it in the exam??? 1990s style...:p

It was optional as far as i remember, if you did the project you had a certain amount of points before you went into the exam, if you didn't you had to do a damn good exam paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lorcandonnelly

you stupid liar if you didnt do the project the highest you could get is a b1 and thats 100%. stop bull****ting . you probably failed everything you stupid twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

you stupid liar if you didnt do the project the highest you could get is a b1 and thats 100%. stop bull****ting . you probably failed everything you stupid twat.

Eh no if you read her posts correctly you will see that she did her LC before the history course changed,. I really hate the way this board has changed over the last few weeks. Used to be so nice and friendly......

Ok, here are my leaving cert results :
    Irish Higher C2
    English Higher B3
    French Higher C3
    Maths Ordinary A1
    Chemistry Higher C3
    Biology Higher C3
    Economics Higher C3
    History Higher A2

I may be alot of things, but I'm not stupid & I'm not a liar

As you can see i only did one lower level paper and that was in maths and that was because i didn't really have the time to dedicate to the Higher Level maths paper
    Economics & Biology in particular are papers that require alot of study time and i just didn't have time to spare, so I did 8 papers (one outside of school time) 7 higher, one ordinary and got 7 honours and an A1 in my Ordinary level Maths, i think that kinda proves i'm not stupid doesn't it???

I'm an accountant, I did my leaving cert when you were probably still in nappies!
    And for the record, i'm female!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Ok, here are my leaving cert results :
    Irish Higher C2
    English Higher B3
    French Higher C3
    Maths Ordinary A1
    Chemistry Higher C3
    Biology Higher C3
    Economics Higher C3
    History Higher A2

I may be alot of things, but I'm not stupid & I'm not a liar

I'm an accountant, I did my leaving cert when you were probably still in nappies!
    And for the record, i'm female!

My bad! Sorry reallyt should have known that from your name :D

eoin2nc wrote: »
    My bad! Sorry reallyt should have known that from your name :D

Its grand for some reason alot of people make that mistake! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

when Did They Change The Course? I Did My Leaving In The 1990's
    '06.

Davidius wrote: »
    '06.

I didn't realise that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Nope, if memory serves me right they actually have a place on the cover of the answer sheet to say whether you have submitted a project or not

They get corrected by the same person. When we put them in the bag yokes they just stayed in the school and the written exam is placed in the front part of it.
    God I am counting on my history project way too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

banned.stay on topic everyone please and thank you

Advertisement