Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlights

Options
  • 07-06-2008 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to change my headlights (white) for the blue ones- are they legal and is visibility as good?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There's a lot of cars about with them so it obviously isn't illegal. Having used both halogen and blue bulbs I haven't personally noticed any difference. I suppose that the "blue" bulbs give a whiter light than TH do, but whether or not that affects visibility I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

HID's are the only way. I've installed the 6000k on my halogen lamps and notice a significant improvement, But theres alot of twats about blinding people with their HIDs not properly aligned and light dispersed everywhere. I think blue is up @ the 10000k. Mine are white andd I got them for performance rather than looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, 4300k gives maximum light. The higher the number, the 'bluer' the light. If it's any help to you, blue headlights are the automotive equivalent of white socks with back slip-ons.

Just to clarify, I meant very blue - not 6000k, which is still quite white. Nonetheless, if I were converting a car i'd use 4300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

"very blue" will get you pulled by the plod (if they're in a bad mood) as blue lighting is illegal on non-emergency vehicles. This is why the blue bulbs you see in Halfords have a "for show use only - not road legal" label on them. Non-HID blue bulbs also give less light as they are just normal bulbs coated with a blue filter, which blocks the other colours. Also, items that are not blue or white don't show up as well under blue light, so there's a major safety issue there.

Advertisement