Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG iL2 Sturmovik Birds of Glory ..on the PS3 AND XBOX 360 !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

There was a game like that called 'European Air War' And it was amazing! It was only on PC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wouldn't get too excited. If you liked the pc version this isn't aimed at you. It'll no doubt be a heavily dumbed down arcade game as opposed to a genuine sim. Maybe not as bad as powerups and turbo modes, but certainly no simulator style physics. There aren't enough buttons on an x-box controller to map even half the functions in the original!

Remember European Air War well, great fun.

Theres this arcade Jet game in the atari expo in Tallaght, and you strap yourself into the seat as it moves when you turn, its so addictive! :D

What about the new ace combat on the xbox 360, i thought it was pretty decent? But not a game i would pay full price for, so i got it pre owned.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    What about the new ace combat on the xbox 360, i thought it was pretty decent? But not a game i would pay full price for, so i got it pre owned.

Big difference between ace combat and say, lock on.

Different markets, console players don't care about realism (and theres nothing wrong with that) whereas the older audience for the pc titles do, and often spend a huge amount of cash on larger monitors, rudder pedals, proper yokes or sticks etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A couple of things struck me as odd about this, why aren't the tracers coloured correctly, and why are there no in-cockpit shots?

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    A couple of things struck me as odd about this, why aren't the tracers coloured correctly, and why are there no in-cockpit shots?

It is only a preview video, I'd say there will be a cockpit view to add atmosphere, but it ain't no sim, it doesn't look right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kowloon wrote: »
    It is only a preview video, I'd say there will be a cockpit view to add atmosphere, but it ain't no sim, it doesn't look right.

In all past Sturmovik games they were always eager to show off the details and moving cockpits. This looks to be based off the BoB engine and art assets, so they've already done the needed cockpits, and yet no sign of them.

Console gamers would never be impresed by a video of working banks of gauges anyway. I just hope the arcade direction doesn't affect further pc offerings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    There was a game like that called 'European Air War' And it was amazing! It was only on PC though.

had it , and now its really really old its still the best ww2 fligh sim out there and the amount of mods for it were amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Looks beautiful. I prefer a more arcadey shoot-em-up flight game than a SIM myself anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

kowloon wrote: »
    I just hope the arcade direction doesn't affect further pc offerings!

Nothing to worry about :) Storm Of War: The Battle Of Britain is coming

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2BOB/index.htm

Cant wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Guys it's going to have the option to be as much as sim as il2 was
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/879/879845p1.html?RSSwhen2008-06-06_104000&RSSid=879845

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey First Look
    1C to deliver the first realistic combat flight simulator to consoles, but one that will scale for beginners.
    by Jason Ocampo

June 6, 2008 - Russian developer and publisher 1C announced its entry into the console market last night with the unveiling of several new games, including IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey, the first console version of the heralded World War II flight simulation series that is known for its incredibly realistic flight modeling and attention to detail.

As Anatoly Subbotin, 1C's PR manager, explained to us, almost all the air combat games that appear on consoles are arcade games with a few flight simulation elements added to them. Birds of Prey will differ because it is a flight simulator with a few arcade elements added to it. At the same time, the game will feature variable realism settings, ranging from a very forgiving arcade flight mode (it's impossible to stall out or get in a spin) to a hardcore realism mode that is comparable to the PC game.

That's a kill!In other words, you're going to be as close to the challenges of real flight and dogfighting as you can get without strapping into a vintage World War II aircraft and actually taking off.

Birds of Prey will use the flight models that were developed for the PC game, but almost everything else was rewritten from scratch from the consoles. Visually, this is a gorgeous game; aircraft are rendered in sharp detail, but even more impressive were the fully 3D landscapes below. There are thousands and thousands of 3D trees, roads, villages, landmarks, cities, rivers, and more. Then there's a new damage modeling system where your plane can get chewed up pretty badly, to the point that it has gaping holes in the wings and fuselage, and that will affect your aircraft's handling on the more realistic difficulty levels.

The rest of the feature list is pretty impressive. There won't be a dynamic campaign, but there will be an instant mission mode along with about six campaigns, ranging from the Battle of Britain, Stalingrad, Sicily, the Ardennes, and the Fall of Berlin. These campaign modes will let you fly from the Allies' perspective in an array of historically realistic aircraft; you can fly Axis warplanes only in multiplayer. Speaking of which, the game will have extensive multiplayer support, so you can fly with a bunch of other pilots cooperatively or competitively in dogfights. In single-player, you can jump to different planes in your wing in mid battle or should the plane that you're in get shot down. Humongous battles can be modeled with around 100 planes in the sky at once, each with its own AI.

The realistic mode might make even die-hard PC flight simmers think about getting the console version. The most hardcore setting only allows you to fly from the virtual cockpit view, and there are no targeting or directional indicators aside to help you. Instead, you've got to rely upon your analog instruments and the old Mark 1 eyeball. Less realistic settings will let you change the camera around, so you can have an external view of your plane, and they'll have all sorts of user-friendly targeting indicators to tell you where the bad guys are.

It's like Pearl Harbor, but without Ben Affleck.There won't be any kind of central hero or protagonist that you follow throughout the game. After all, that wouldn't make sense having a single character flying for so many different nations in different theaters. Plus, this is war after all, and people die. So you will have a roster of characters, and your goal is to hopefully keep as many of them alive as possible, but if someone is killed, they're gone. Imagine that, a war game where you can't predict who will live or who will die?

1C was only showing off the Xbox 360 game, which should be identical to the PlayStation 3 game. What's impressive is that there are also going to be PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS versions, but those will obviously be different from the Xbox 360 and PS3 game, though they were not at 1Cs event. IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey will ship in 2009.

I can't see them designing something not playable on the standard joypad.

Can you even buy proper sim controllers for an x-box in the first place?

They spout the same rubbish for every console "sim".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can get a HOTAS settup for the 360 that resembles the X45 hotas for the PC, I think it only works for ace combat 6 though.

I play flight sims on the PC and I can play flight games on consoles no problem with a pad. OverG Fighters I found had similarities to Lock On on the PC in handling qualities.

I just home they don't make this pure arcade with no stalling, spinning and over stressing the airframe.

The ps3 has usb support so could in theory use keyboard, mouse , joystick and rudders :) it already supports the G25 steering wheel can't see why il2 would cause any problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Looks Incredible! Awesome draw distance

magick wrote: »
    had it , and now its really really old its still the best ww2 fligh sim out there and the amount of mods for it were amazing

I bought it really cheap years ago, and its really rare to find.

il2 1946 is in the 2 for 25 deal in GAME...Every pc gamer should have it..it's simply brilliant..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

il2 1946 is in the 2 for 25 deal in GAME...Every pc gamer should have it..it's simply brilliant..
    I assume you need to include the cost of a joystick in that purchase.

There's a whole bunch more here, including cockpit shots surprisingly.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=52753

It's being produced by a completely different crowd, Gaijin, rather than 1C. Seems like it's more a case of a licensed name and art assets than it's own Sturmovik game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement