Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05 passat or superb??

Options
  • 07-06-2008 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Im looking into buying a 05 passat or skoda superb at the moment. I was recently informed that the prices have dropped severely in the second hand market. Any suggestions which one to buy? Recently seen a 05 sportsline black passat, 70k miles for 15,500. Any estimate on the general sale of 05 sportsline/highline nice spec passats or good spec superb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Take it that since it is the Sportline model 05 Passat that your looking at, it is the newer model which is light years ahead of older one which the Superb was based on. The new Passat is far from fault free and has had a few issues such as the electronic handbrake. Holds it's value very strong which is good if your selling but bad if buying.

Superb is huge on the inside especially the rear and well equipped but keep in mind heavy depreciation and the fact that it is based on the Passat launched 11 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 pokerface11

Thanks bazz. Its actually the old type passat-sportsline,highline im looking at. These would be imported from UK. I think an imported passat would be a better spec for the money than here in ireland and also the VRT savings. Will try and pick up a nice spec 1.9tdi, 130bhp passat for around 16-17k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The market is full of UK import Passats at the moment.
    Be very careful, as many of them have had the mileage interfered with.

Personally, I'd go for this Superb

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Superb/BIG-PRICE/1029223/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

passat for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Superb for me, a high spec imported one :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Thanks bazz. Its actually the old type passat-sportsline,highline im looking at. These would be imported from UK. I think an imported passat would be a better spec for the money than here in ireland and also the VRT savings. Will try and pick up a nice spec 1.9tdi, 130bhp passat for around 16-17k.

As Bazz pointed out, the Superb is based on the Passat that you're thinking of getting, a slightly stretched version of that platform. The new Passat is leagues ahead of the old one dynamically, and the 2 litre TDi is far superior to the old 1.9 130bhp. However, if you're going for the old shape Passat, then I'd just go for a Superb. Bigger, better equiped and cheaper. I also think that the base diesel in these was the 130 rather than the 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure you do your checks and homework on either car in the UK, the Superb is very popular with mini-cab owners due to it's large amounts of space, high spec and low price. Alot of these ex mini-cabs find their way into back street dealers and auction houses where the mileage has been tampered with.

Alot of Passats tend to be high mileage ex-fleet cars which again find their way to auction houses with mileage corrections.

Which ever you choose don't just accept stamped service documents as proof of service history, follow these up with HPI reports and ring the garages directly enquiring about the servicing/mileage, etc. It is very easy to buy a blank service history book on e-bay these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

passat

Advertisement