Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really Fast Paced Games

Options
  • 07-06-2008 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Personally i find the quake games very fast paced, its all about speed and reflex shots. Painkiller is similar to quake in speed, I have been playing quake 4 and i thought it would be slower than the older ones, but i was wrong! The half life games are quick if your the type to run and gun.

I know a lot of RTS games can very fast paced if you know your hot keys and play a lot.

Anyone know of any other speedy games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Can't remember where i played it or what version it was but got my hands on a street fighter that went to turbo 7 instead of turbo 4. was sweating after a few games and felt like my thumbs were bleeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

the wipeout games are very fast
    god of war: chains of olympus is quite fast so I'd say the other GOW games are too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I like the old fighting games, But i never really mastered street fighter, Tekken 2/3 were very fast fighting games! :D I find the newer tekken games very slow and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Ninja Gaiden. Its a thing of beauty in full flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I like the old fighting games, But i never really mastered street fighter, Tekken 2/3 were very fast fighting games! :D I find the newer tekken games very slow and boring.

If you can master street fighter, Tekken 2/3 will seem ridiculously slow :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ninja Gaiden, DMC and God of War spring to mind straight away. Tony Hawks is the same for quick reflex combo action (but refuse to play any of them past four after they made a complete show of the series). Music rythym games too - Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Guitar Hero and any of that lot of course require very speedy reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

I'd be one of them people that think that the closer you are to the telly then the better your reflexes are.Guitar Hero,Cod 4,Burnout Paradise,Fifa 08 get my bumcheeks to the edge of the couch..... sometimes i'd even find the couch being pulled forward a few feet during these games lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Burnout Paradise, as soon as I finish GTAIV I'll be reapplying myself to this one, not in a wallpaper to wall kinda way, but in a, "I'll figure out how to play for more than 40 seconds without plastering my self across an oncoming truck" kinda way.

Really, do I blink too much, should I risk cerebral haemorrage and just focus all my mind on the flatscreen before me? Should I take mindaltering substances and slow down the relative passage of time, just so I can keep track of my car, and why it's hurtling so fast towards either the wrong turn or the bollards between the right and the wrong turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Burnout Paradise

hell yeah... i've been playing this game for a few weeks now. I've found the only way to not crash is to always be in a state of uncontrol. With the speed type cars it gets even more uncontrollable as you always have to have boost held down. They've also made the game so that cars will just pull out in front of you when you are hitting top speed.

I personally like the open world format as it forces you to always be driving back and forth and figuring out the best lines to get from point A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

+1 to wip3out
    New installment coming out for the PS3 soon

Also, UT2004 can be quite fast paced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    I found Quake 3 to be very fast.
    UT not so much, but quick nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

Warcraft 3 is very fast paces, my apm is 205 which is pretty high, the casual gamer has an apm of 100 but one pro hit 370 apm before. The average for a pro is 220, so if I just learn off the hotkeys for attacks and the such i should push up to that sometime during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Trauma Center on the DS/Wii can get very intense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Super Stardust HD immediately came to mind, fastest paced game I've played recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

F-Zero GX on the cube, hypnotic to watch someone else play.

DiRT always had a good sense of speed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

UT2K4 definitely, the running speed etc. is about the same as most FPS' but it had a much greater range of movement. When you're playing anyone who knows how to use the Double Jumps/Wall Dodges/Dodge Jumps etc. it gets much faster, that's why hitscan weapons like the Shock Rifle ruled that game. Absolutely the most intense FPS I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Burnout
    Wipeout
    Trackmania Nations
    Warsow (free FPS - lots of trick-movement)

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

UT2k4 or Warsow by a country mile!

No other FPS comes close to the agility and high flying!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sonic
    The
    Hedgehog

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Surprised no-one's mentioned any bullet-hell shmups yet.

My personal favourite is Every Extend on Heavy mode - random block spawning & bass-heavy trance music. And then the secret boss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

SDooM wrote: »
    Sonic
    The
    Hedgehog

Speed running through that game is great! Just hold down the right button and keep jumping through the levels...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think anything comes close to the pace of F-zero GX. It's incredibly fast. Playing wipeout directly after feels like you are piloting your ship through treacle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Speed running through that game is great! Just hold down the right button and keep jumping through the levels...:rolleyes:

Yup and if you do it with super sonic...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

QuakeWorld.

The Star Wars Pod Racer games were pretty fast too, but I'm not sure they were as fast as Wipeout or F-Zero.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I got annoyed at how twitchy & fast Myst II multiplayer was.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

timesplitters, UT(any) and Quake 3 possibly the fastest FPS games to play. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

steviec wrote: »
    Super Stardust HD immediately came to mind, fastest paced game I've played recently.

I downloaded this game last night for the PS3 and I can confirm the pace in this game is unrelenting. I started a coop game with the wife and she was like "WTH??? Did you start in the middle of the game or something? Why is there no warm up level?"

It literally just starts fast and keeps up that pace until you die. Excellent game though, I'd gotten so twitchy after playing it for a couple of hours that I couldn't even go to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Quake 3 and War§ow. Fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭WEST

Definitely any on the unreal multiplayer games. I remember playing unreal 99 on the low gravity levels, they were crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Ikaruga
    bangai-o
    and DoDonPachi

Advertisement