Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek II : The Wrath of Kahn

• 07-06-2008 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

Absolutly great film in all fairness.

Just finished watching it there and debating if I should watch IV

It is late though and my supply of Guinness is running low

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Best of all the Star Trek films and it has one of my favourite film scores of all time.

Watch III before watching IV... it's the best of the odd numbered films...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Best of all the Star Trek films and it has one of my favourite film scores of all time.

+1.

IV is overrated anyway, in my opinion. While III is often underrated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wrath of Kahn was brilliant. Favourite trek film, followed by either Undiscovered Country or First Contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Ahh yes its up there in my top 3 of Kahn, Generations and First Contact, good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Unfortunatly I don't have III.
    I own II, IV, VI, VIII and even X

Considering that I actually like III, this is a serious oversight

Now, time for VI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The Wrath of Khan is the best of the bunch when it comes to the Trek films imo. The episode from the original series which featured Khan was on recently and I'd never seen it before. It was the only one I hadn't seen as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Gotta love the "Stealing the Enterprise" scene in Search for Spock though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Best part of the movie IMO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Some bits of IV are pretty funny tho, Spocks general failure to grasp 20th century irony and the lack of logic.....and when he gives the Vulcan death pinch to the guy with the ghetto blaster in the bus, and gets a round of applause, classic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Some bits of IV are pretty funny tho, Spocks general failure to grasp 20th century irony and the lack of logic.....and when he gives the Vulcan death pinch to the guy with the ghetto blaster in the bus, and gets a round of applause, classic :)

Death pinch???

Death grip, whatever

Death grip, whatever
    Try again. :)

Vulcan death grip
    Vulcan nerve pinch
    Vulcan death pinch
    Vulcan nerve grip
    Vulcan death nerve
    Vulcan pinch grip
    Vulcan thingy-that-spock-would-do-to-baddie-alien-with-purple-head!

I give up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

wasent the death grip something spock made up up fool a romulan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Yup one of the best scenes and your right about the music in Wrath of Khan as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

User45701 wrote: »
    wasent the death grip something spock made up up fool a romulan?

Yup..he used it in on Kirk in "The Enterprise Incident"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

I love how EPIC the film is.

A device that can take out an entire planet and create a new one.

A genetically enhanced tyrant out for blood.

An ageing legend out for perhaps one last adventure, and finding new life in himself.

A good friend sacrificing everything to save his people.

A lost son, found.

Two bad-ass starships firing at each other in the stormy nebula.

The awesomeness never ceases. That music gets me excited each and every time, you can almost see the Enterprise leap to warp every time I hear the fanfare.

Star Trek VI came close. I love the design of the bridge, and the handheld camera bringing us around the crew to give it more personal feel. And I love the firing-while-cloaked. But it was missing something, and Shatner had by then become hammy.

(OK he was hammy in II but it somehow fit the overall arc)

III was good but felt neutered and the last act is too slow.
    IV was good for its time but the fashions styles make me cringe and just as the Enterprise reappears the whole thing's over.
    I and V---aaaargh!
    Generations started OK, was real cool when we saw the grimly-lit Enterprise D bridge and thought Romulans were coming into it---but overall too talky, too grim, and the Shat died a terrible rushed death. Soran was cool though, wish they'd kept in the heart-attack scene.
    First Contact started out amazing and dark and new and scary and quikcly became preachy and boring, IMHO (don't shoot me).
    Insurrection tried, really really tried to force the Next Gen into a Kirk and co type adventure, and came out missing soul and decent plot. Boring. Plus the FX were sub-par (no ILM)
    Nemesis was a hugely wasted opportunity. Check out Stuart Baird on the documentary and in the commentary, he is a jerk (there's a vid on youtube of LeVar Burton confirming his jerk-ness, its gas)

Looking forward to seeing JJ Abrams riff on ST, he met with Nicholas Meyer I believe, Meyer is a friend of the family's, they have the same approach to ST (danger, soul, adventure, naval atmosphere). But retreading old characters is not like recasting Bond or Batman, it seems redundant but I hope for the best.

Anyways, I would KILL to see TWOK on the silver screen, perhaps remastered? Cmon Paramount you know it would sell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I just finished watching The Wrath of Khan and it has left me unimpressed to be honest. I don't think I was in the right frame of mind for watching it to be honest, had to stop and start it a few times too which I hate doing.

I like the Undiscovered Country and First Contact. I haven't seen III or V in many many years so it might be good to see them again. Ditto for Generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Wrath of Kahn is easily the most epic of the early film series. Kirk's shuttle approaching enterprise for docking is great.

Advertisement