Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop prob

Options
  • 07-06-2008 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Hi there i have a prob with my laptop and i am not sure if its a security problem as against bad broadband but all i can say is broadband is fine and my desk top works ok ,

but when i oopen a page is fine on internet but as i go further into page etc it takes ages to get pages and when it does it says internet explorer cant open this page any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,287 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

does it happen with all pages or just certain ones. Maybe download firefox and see if it has the same issue to test that its not a connection problem
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

i plugged it direct to modem it is a wireless modem, and it works is it a broadband issue, it seeems first page is fine but the further u go in it takes ages then says it cant connect

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it works when you are plugged into the modem then it's a problem with your wireless. Can you use the internet when you are right beside the modem (connected wirelessly not wired)?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,460 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what signal strength does your computer show for the wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

it works when im near the wireless says my speed is 54 mbps ??? any clues:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Move from the Laptop forum.

More suited to here, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭allybhoy

OP can you clarify exactly what the issue is as this is rather hard to read?
    As others have suggested have you tried plugging it directly into the modem either USB or a CAT5 cable. does this resolve the issue? If so its a wireless problem, and is quite tricky to fix. First you would need to narrow it down to your router or your laptop, easiest way is to get a lend of somebody's laptop and test it. Once you have narrowed it down to one of these come back as there are a number of solutions for each scenario.

If its no quicker when connected directly using a cable then it could be spyware etc start with deleting your temp IE files then download AVG8 or whatever freeware takes your fancy

Advertisement