Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphical hang-ups - seems worse around water

Options
  • 07-06-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else getting wierd glitches / hang-ups, seemingly worse around large bodies of water, such as coastal areas? I've got a PC which should easily handle the highest graphics settings, but I'll frequently get problems whenever I'm around the ocean.

One of two things happens -
    1) The UI vanishes, the game freezes, textures go funny, and the water usually vanishes.

2) Screen goes black. I'm left with the cursor and the game music looping in the background.

Usually pressing Ctrl Alt Del and bringing up the Task Manager will kick-start the game again. I've turned off water reflections and it's helped a little, but the issue is still pretty frequent. I've tried loads of combinations of resolutions and graphics settings and nothing apart from that makes a difference. I'm playing at 1600 x 1200 with everything else on high.

My specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad
    Asus Striker II NSE motherboard with SupremeFX audio card
    4 gigs ram
    2 XFX GeForce 9600 GTs in SLI
    Thermaltake 850w psu
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Drivers etc are up to date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At a guess, try disabling sli and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm having the same problems, games runs ok until I get near water then bam it freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

At a guess, try disabling sli and see what happens.
    no luck - makes no diff

I'm having the same problems, games runs ok until I get near water then bam it freezes.

Are you using a nvidia or ati card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Are you using a nvidia or ati card?
    Not on my home computer at the moment but as far as I remember its a nvidia 7300 something.

• Advertisement

Not on my home computer at the moment but as far as I remember its a nvidia 7300 something.

Your problem is your card, water effects are a gpu killer. And your gpu is at the very bottom.

Brainoic judging from your other threads there is something inheritantly wrong with your current Vista installation or Nvida drivers. Have you ever tried a complete clean reinstall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Brainoic judging from your other threads there is something inheritantly wrong with your current Vista installation or Nvida drivers. Have you ever tried a complete clean reinstall?

I only got the PC 3 days ago and something went wrong with Vista, leading to a re-install of the OS alright, and I've tried multiple installations of drivers, but to no avail. I've got problems in any game I try to play.

Reinstalling the OS hasn't solved anything, so do you reckon I should do a complete reformat of the hdd and start from the very beginning? When you do that you don't have to mess around with BIOS settings do you? I'm really not confident around BIOS.

Can you download this program,

Run it for 30 minutes. See does it error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Well I heard that SLI doesn't work the best with AOC but you said you tried it with no SLI and you're still getting these artifacts and such?

Drivers is the only other thing I can say really, try different drivers. Also try updating your chipset drivers.

I've not encountered anything dodgy with the game at all so far and I'm using a 9800GTX (single)

Water lowers my fps all right but thats it.

Try reporting this on the AOC forums if things don't improve.

Advertisement