Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Drawing

Options
  • 07-06-2008 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

does anyone else on this do tech drawing?no one is talking about an i was just wondering?!!
    if so,what do ye think the paper will be like this year?it being the last year of the course and all??
    i hope its not too hard....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

A day's revision will ace it - just hate P2 being mixed with Physics - Going by geog and english, don't expect anything unusual with the format being the same since 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yenoolnairb

Hopefully it will be nice and easy for the last year of the course.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Yea i do it, and im hoping for a very good grade in it aswell in HL. Hopefully a b1 or a2 if all goes well.

Some of the years are imo much harder than other ones. I just hope we get an easy one because i enjoy the subject but a hard exam will be such a down putter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The only thing I'm worried about is that 1(c) of paper one will be too hard, forcing me to do question 6, which can work sometimes.
    Otherwise I'm doing questions 3,5,7 (all the odds)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I am so awful at Tech. Im doing HL, and I can do about 4 questions well. Anyone got any tips for me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Daveref

i do t.g wel hope it not bad i hate it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 doc26

im gonna fail t.d , im actually just gonna use pass irish over honours t.d to make up the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Daveref

ah dnt say dat jus prep 4 qs for each paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

doc26 wrote: »
    im gonna fail t.d , im actually just gonna use pass irish over honours t.d to make up the points.
    I was in the situation where I'd only barely pass at best....I got 38% in the pre but I changed to pass a few weeks ago. It's so much easier and you would be better off to do pass and go for a (B2 45points) rather than risk failing the higher level paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bug!!!

Hopefully it will be easy:rolleyes:
    my class only did 4questions on each paper so i dont hav a choice. bad ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bug!!!

how do you study for TG:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Bug!!! wrote: »
    how do you study for TG:confused:

just practice past paper questions and get good speed at doing them efficiently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

do you have a board t-square and paper at hom

thats essential

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

everyone else gonna bring in an addjustable?, i think its kinda necessary for time keeping specialy on perspective/ interpenetration and any others u have to work alot off auxillary views

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Decerto wrote: »
    everyone else gonna bring in an addjustable?, i think its kinda necessary for time keeping specialy on perspective/ interpenetration and any others u have to work alot off auxillary views

Of course, i find the adjustable one of the best things going for tg. Couldn't do the exam without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

I bought one in fifth year, hate it. only use it when someone has borrowed my other set square. Sliding set squares are just the way I do things.

Am happy that I know it well.
    Will go over my formula sheets on thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Yeah I do. Love the subject and hopefully gonna get an A1

We only have an option on Paper 1:
    Q1 - Planes nd Lines in Space
    Q3 - Solids in Contact
    Q4 - Interpenetration
    Q6 - Conic Sections
    Q7 - Oblique Place

Paper 2
    Q1 - Perspective
    Q2 - Roof Geometry
    Q5 - Skew Boreholes
    Q7 - Earthworks

I can't stand Perspective!!!!!!!! Its the only question that might block my A1!! maybe q 1 (c) too

What other questions do people hate??

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

Q3 - Solids in Contact
    Q4 - Interpenetration
    Q6 - Conic Sections
    Q7 - Oblique Place

Paper 2
    Q1 - Perspective
    Q2 - Roof Geometry
    Q5 - Skew Boreholes
    Q7 - Earthworks

I can't stand Perspective!!!!!!!! Its the only question that might block my A1!! maybe q 1 (c) too

I despise the earthworks question! It gets so messy and ****, and if you make a mistake and have to rub out it just gets worse! But it's one of the easier questions so I'll prob do it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Q3 - Solids in Contact
    Q4 - Interpenetration
    Q6 - Conic Sections
    Q7 - Oblique Place

What about Q5?? I think its the easiest

Q3 - Solids in Contact
    Q4 - Interpenetration
    Q6 - Conic Sections
    Q7 - Oblique Place

Paper 2
    Q1 - Perspective
    Q2 - Roof Geometry
    Q5 - Skew Boreholes
    Q7 - Earthworks

Same as me i despise perscpective, on paper 1 circles rolling and spirals is probably the easiest question going in tech graph dunno why people dont do it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

I'm doing;

PAPER I

Q1 (Hope there's an easy D part in there!)
    Q2 (Simple)
    Q3 (Hope there's an easy C)
    Q6 (Simple)

Q5 if I don't like the look of a Question.

PAPER II (A)

I'm doing the CAM question / Developments / CAD / Plan, Elevation & End-View (Leaving it to last this question takes over an hour!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I used to use an adjustable all through 5th year, finally changed to sliding set squares in 6th, so much quicker and handier imo.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    I used to use an adjustable all through 5th year, finally changed to sliding set squares in 6th, so much quicker and handier imo.
    Sometimes yea it is, but for questions like perspective it's essential.
    Oh I hate perspective too, and the loci question is probably the easiest thing on the Leaving Cert, easy marks ftw :D

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

Ever tried doing logarithmic spiral scale paper 1 q5 with sliding set squares, f**kin nightmare, and doing interpenetration and perspective is so time consuming without an adjustable imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Lads, ye'll be fine. Do some practice and you'll pass. I did mine 6 years ago 2 days after I had a bike accident and it went fine.
    What's this about it being the last year of it? What's happening to it?
    One note I'll leave for you, doing TG is the same mind set of programming if any of you intend on doing Computer Science in college.

its changing to design and communication or something next year, just means you do 50% on CAD i think

One note I'll leave for you, doing TG is the same mind set of programming if any of you intend on doing Computer Science in college.
    How so? I have computer systems in UL on my CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

EmmetF wrote: »
    How so? I have computer systems in UL on my CAO.

In my opinion it's same mindset. For Object Orientated Programming you need to be able to think in the 3rd dimension in my opinion, so if you are good at TG you should be able to do OOP without much bother. There's no comparisons, but it's just a similar mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

Good to hear man, thanks for that ;) Love the subject and intend to go on and study computer applications in DCU.

Hopin for an A1 in this, if all goes well i'll do question
    2) Theorems (Will do question 1 if this is too awkward)
    3) Solids in contact (always nice if you know your planes)
    5) Combined movements (easiest question, everyone should do it. You'l finish it in 15 mins)
    6) Conics (generally nice, i've a feeling a hyperboela will come up)

Have inter penetrations on stand by too. Might do it if it's nice, but only if i've plenty of time at the end. Bitch takes a while!

Little worried about time for paper 2. But it's generally a fair paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Ever tried doing logarithmic spiral scale paper 1 q5 with sliding set squares, f**kin nightmare, and doing interpenetration and perspective is so time consuming without an adjustable imo

Perspective is time consuming regardless of the method - absolutely disgusting question, wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Advertisement