Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub grub in wicklow

• 07-06-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

So.... where is everyones favourite pub/informal dining location?

It a bit of a drive but my vote goes for jack whites, N11 near Arklow

what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

In Bray it would be between The Martello and The Vevay Inn (Kennedys)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Marriott in kilcoole/newtown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

The Wicklow Heather or Jack Whites. Both yummy grub!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

foxy06 wrote: »

Agreed!

Was in the Wicklow Heather yesterday with all the in-laws for a birthday party. There was 18 of us and the food and service was great! Had Lamb which was lovely and others had beef, lasagne and trout, all very nice. Recommended:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

The Mountkennedy Inn in Newtown serves up a tasty chicken curry...
    They also do a special during the week soup and roast of the day for €12
    Now you couldn't go far wrong there.
    The resteraunt upstairs pretty tasty too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Jim Doyle's at Bray seafront is nice, too. Good sized sirloin steaks.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

foxy06 wrote: »
    Martello is good, but I found Kennedys to be very disappointing the last couple of times I was there, to the extent that I have no interest in going there for food anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 meuer

Hi evry1

When i was back home in eire, we had a meal in martello's in bray seafront.. it was fab. But does anyone remember that chippy on quinnsborough road - moscony's??? when i was growing up, i caught the last film at the old cinema & then got me the finest smoked cod from there & then got the last bus from mccarthys to newtown..

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

get a fine dinner in jacobs well rathdrum,there is bates aswell but abit pricey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

koo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 citizen zero

The Mountkennedy Inn in Newtown serves up a tasty chicken curry...
    They also do a special during the week soup and roast of the day for €12
    Now you couldn't go far wrong there.
    The resteraunt upstairs pretty tasty too :D

Right on both counts, especially the restaurant upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

The wicklow heather in laragh top class food and plenty of it too. I would also recommend the bar food in the Parkview Hotel in Newtownmountkennedy. Also sunday lunch in the Glencormac Inn in Kilmacanogue is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

Bray - Martello on seafront
    Laragh - Wicklow Heather
    Glendalough - the hotel
    Blessington - West Wicklow pub at the square
    Baltinglass - Germaines, just after Spar
    Arklow - Lucy Doyles, Castlepark off the Main St.
    Tinahely - Madelines, main square
    Brittas Bay - McDaniels

All I can recommend from around the county. Good grub in each location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

all good pubs, but you forgot the pub resturaunt of the year 2007, The Roundwood Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

meuer wrote: »
    does anyone remember that chippy on quinnsborough road - moscony's??? when i was growing up, i caught the last film at the old cinema & then got me the finest smoked cod from there & then got the last bus from mccarthys to newtown..

I vaguely remember getting chips in Moscone's when I was a young lad. It had had a large Pepsi sign above the door. Alas, McCarthy's has closed down too...an awful shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I have to agree about the Wicklow Heather. We have never been disappointed here. Highly recommend it. Nice family day out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Bruce11 wrote: »
    Laragh - Wicklow Heather
    Glendalough - the hotel
    Blessington - West Wicklow pub at the square
    Baltinglass - Germaines, just after Spar
    Arklow - Lucy Doyles, Castlepark off the Main St.
    Tinahely - Madelines, main square
    Brittas Bay - McDaniels

All I can recommend from around the county. Good grub in each location.

As I grew up within 100 yards of the Wicklow Heather I agree with all the comments on the grub, it is good. I'm not sure it qualifies as pub grub though as it is a restaurant before its a pub still well worth a visit mind you the pub grub in the glandalough hotel isn't too shabby either.

The Blessington suggestion (i live there!): The West Wicklow House I'm going to assume you haven't been there in quite a while Bruce. The food in there is simply shocking, hence why it does a pretty poor food trade these days. It used to be class but what ever happened about 2 years ago has just put the quality through the floor.

Bruce11 wrote: »

Not a chance of it. Over-priced slop! It's really not that good at all. Anywhere that serves a sandwich with "pepperoni" in it, you would want to be asking questions. I made the mistake of ordering it, out of desperation more than anything else - given the depressing menu on offer, and yes it looked like they picked the meat off one of those goodfellas pizzas.

Also, I'm pretty sure the cappucino came from one of those rotten pre-mix machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is that where they make you pay before you get your food?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

eoin wrote: »
    If you sit outside yeah...so you don't run away.

Never been asked when sitting inside

eoin wrote: »

No, that's the Porterhouse

I think most places ask you to pay first if your sitting outside. It makes sense because its so much easier for people to walk out without paying. If your a regular they prob wont ask you to pay first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blueflower

the porterhouse in bray does nice food though it can be a loooong wait if its busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

they used to do potato skins with chilli & cheese & salad in kennedys, then just took it off the menu.. it was savage mmmm drool :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

Not a chance of it. Over-priced slop! It's really not that good at all. Anywhere that serves a sandwich with "pepperoni" in it, you would want to be asking questions. I made the mistake of ordering it, out of desperation more than anything else - given the depressing menu on offer, and yes it looked like they picked the meat off one of those goodfellas pizzas.

Also, I'm pretty sure the cappucino came from one of those rotten pre-mix machines.

I agree with the Minstrel - the Martello is awful! The food is average and the customer service is shocking! Everytime we've gone there, they've messed up our order. Last time, a vegetarian friend of ours asked for a vegetarian pizza and they put meat on it. When we sent it back for another, they did it again. When we asked to speak to the manager to complain, she told us it wasn't the staff's job to know what "vegetarian" meant and refused to refund the cost of the pizza. The Porterhouse, Strand, Hibernian all have better quality food and much nicer staff and management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Anyone know if the Porter House in Bray still do those buffalo wings, used to get them years ago they were gorgeous!

As mentioned the Roundwood Inn won pub of the year 2007, good food, big portions best days to go are a Wed through to Sunday.
    My oul lad is the head chef there for over 20 years in total.
    Food is good, just ignore the decor lol it's been the same for god knows how long. Prices are still reasonable and Glendalough is only down the road, so it's the perfect place at this time of year for a nice gander through Glendalough and then lunch in the Inn before heading home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 mcgiggy

Anyone know if the Porter House in Bray still do those buffalo wings, used to get them years ago they were gorgeous!

As mentioned the Roundwood Inn won pub of the year 2007, good food, big portions best days to go are a Wed through to Sunday.
    My oul lad is the head chef there for over 20 years in total.
    Food is good, just ignore the decor lol it's been the same for god knows how long. Prices are still reasonable and Glendalough is only down the road, so it's the perfect place at this time of year for a nice gander through Glendalough and then lunch in the Inn before heading home.

Yes the Porterhouse still does the wings!! - I recommend the suicide sauce too!! mmm tasty!

Also the Martello is easily the best place in Wicklow for Pub food, it's reasonably priced, and has a wide range of food on offer, unlike nearly every other pub in the county...it is busy for a reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Martello food is muck...!

I got steamed mussels from there, never again...

They were gone off.... nearly kill someone with dodgy sea food...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't know how people can recommend The Porterhouse.

Food and service is truly awful there.

Went there last year, and waited an hour for dried up wings. When I complained they said they were short staffed.

Decided to give it another chance, ordered Bangers 'n' Mash. With that I would expect nice home made sausage, but what I got was chipper 'hot dog' style frankfurter with some mash. Absolutely terrible and I would never eat there again.

Martello is better, but have had bad experiences there too. Stale bread with soup for example.

Best in Bray would be The Vevay Inn ( Good but not brilliant), best in Wicklow would be The Roundwood Inn.

Wicklow Heather is also very good but I regard that more as a restaurant than a pub.

Advertisement