Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nehalem = no Sli support

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry had a brief look in Computers didn't see it, my mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Maby I should have posted here, not many have an opinion on it.

I think its an interesting situation, either no nvidia chipset at all for nehalem or sli on Intel chipsets, I'd love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

YAY! SLI is finally dead \o/

The biggest marketing scam of the 21st century tbh....

Also YAY for no more buggy Nvidia Intel Chipsets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I think its a shame. SLI or should i say the idea behind it is great. Its just a shame such few games/benchmarks fully supported it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Its a good concept, add a second card for double performance!!!!

But... Even in games that support it, its horrible, Sure it will churn out more FPS, But, it still wont feel smooth like 60fps on a single card for example, because there is a delay between frames from each card and "microstuttering" which is present in Crossfire too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

it was supposidley fixed on crossfire in cats 8.3

Its a good concept, add a second card for double performance!!!!

But... Even in games that support it, its horrible, Sure it will churn out more FPS, But, it still wont feel smooth like 60fps on a single card for example, because there is a delay between frames from each card and "microstuttering" which is present in Crossfire too

That's grossly exaggerated all the time anyway, I had 8800GTS Sli and now have 7900GS Sli, I've never experienced this 'microstutter' at all in any games....if it was as big a problem as that no-one would ever go Sli!

I think to call Sli a marketing scam is also a big ott...lately it's been fantastic in most of the big releases. I've been playing Jericho lately, and the gain is actually a full 100% with Sli enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

That's grossly exaggerated all the time anyway, I had 8800GTS Sli and now have 7900GS Sli, I've never experienced this 'microstutter' at all in any games....if it was as big a problem as that no-one would ever go Sli!

I think to call Sli a marketing scam is also a big ott...lately it's been fantastic in most of the big releases. I've been playing Jericho lately, and the gain is actually a full 100% with Sli enabled.

Not really micro stuttering, but I have noticed that sli minimum frame rates on two games I played alot ( Crysis, Tomb Raider Legend ) where even lower or the same as using a single card, making Sli pointless for me in those games.

I would be getting the same mimimum frame rate of 15fps - 20 fps on my single 8800gtx, as I would on 2 x 8800gtx @ 1920 x 1200, same would happen on Tomb Raider Legend, it didnt matter on that game as it was totally playable even with same mimimum frame rate, it was still very annoying though..

Yeah, that reminds me of the 7950gx2, probably the worst card I've ever owned...

The games I play though, tend to support Sli...at the moment, cod4, Jericho, bioshock, Company of Heroes, etc. though annoyingly cod4 doesn't support series 7 sli properly, so i use a single card with my temp 7900gs's, other one is just idle. With the new gtx cards I was hoping for an unbelievably powerful single card....but with all the talk about them it seems like it could be a bit of a failure in that regard....now they're talking about the amazing budget power of the 4850 and I've just sold my crossfire mobo for a sli one a month or two back....

Getting a bit pissed at this stage with computing in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

If Nehalem = no Sli support, my next build is going to be AMD. In the last month or so I have noticed a massive push to get some new AMD boards out along with some decent benches from the phenoms...finally!

To be fair, yes the intels are really do have a huge advantage for overclocking but at the same time i have had my e6300 at its stock (1.86) and the max I can reach with my motherboard (2.7) and I have not noticed a blind bit of difference in games or in general use....

The main reason I will be going AMD for my next build is for hybrid SLI....to be able to have a beast of a card (hopefully the 280 if I can afford it) and have the option for a silent PC when your not playing games is a huge factor for me!
    I might not be able to overclock 60+ % as we have come to expect from the C2D range but to be fair gamers wont notice the difference if they have a decent card. To have a silent PC that can perform when you wont notice the noise when your not gaming is much much more important to me then a few benchmarks!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

...and I've just sold my crossfire mobo for a sli one a month or two back....
    Getting a bit pissed at this stage with computing in general.

Same boat here :s
    Had an Asus Maximus Formula (DDR2 X38), haven't had a BSOD since October last year.
    A month ago I got an Evga 750 SLI FTW, one of the known issues is system restarting when playing a video, for crying out loud...

Advertisement