Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile BB - who owns the modem? after contract?

Options
  • 07-06-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Got O2 BB yesterday - happy enough so far since it's really my only BB option.
    like many, it's 12 monthly charges and a one off fee for the modem.
    The guy in the O2 store said the modem was mine, but I asked if I didn't renew the contract after 12 months, could it still be used. He wasn't sure, and said because it was O2 branded, it probably wouldn't be the case. So, even though I've 'bought' the modem, it appears it'll be useless once I'm finished with my O2 Contract. Surely this is just a glorified and high rental fee I'm really paying?
    Is this the case for others? Should this kind of practice be investigated further if it's the case the modem is 'locked' to a specific ISP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You may or may not own it. But the O2 modems like O2 phones are locked to only work with an O2 SIM.

You usually have to pay an unlocking charge.

Some Networks/Operators you never own the Modem, or it can't be used on anything else (IBB Ripwave, UPC cable, Most Fixed Wireless ... )

You'll find an unlocked modem or phone x2 to x20 more expensive to buy.

Advertisement