Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD Velociraptor - yay or nay?

Options
  • 07-06-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

I've been chewing over the various reviews and while there is an argument to upgrade from a 150GB Raptor - it clearly has had its day, it seems less clear that the Velociraptor is the compelling choice. The WD Caviar 640GB is within striking distance on all benchmarks for 1/3 the price, 6 months down the line what might Samsung or Hitachi pull out of the bag? The fact that these aren't selling like hotcakes makes me think I'm not alone in looking at the numbers? Of course, I am easily distracted by a clear plastic window and if it had one I probably would not be asking this question :p (Raptor X owner)

WD Velociraptor? 8 votes

YAY!
    0% 0 votes
    NAY!
    25% 2 votes
    I love my brick.
    75% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For the same price you could probably raid two spinpoint f1's together and get much better performance as well as much better storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

2 WD Caviar 640GB's in Raid 0 seems to be the popular choice atm.

I'm a big fan of the raptor (Have 2 in Raid 0 now) but unless they
    release that 20,000rpm:eek: drive that they are apparently working on,
    I probably wont go with them again.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

SSD ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Save for an ssd!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

64 Gigs doesn't cut it for the price of the yokes. SSDs have a bit to go yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Western digital are going to release a 20000rpm for desktops at the end of the year so I can't see the value in a velociraptor, in saying that i have 2 raptor x's. samsung f1's are the way to go, two in raid is great. other than that ssd are the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

ssd all the way. Plus the t166 spinpoints are cheaper and faster then the raptors. If you really want some speed save up for a scsi card and some 146gb drives and raid 0 them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anti wrote: »
    ssd all the way. Plus the t166 spinpoints are cheaper and faster then the raptors. If you really want some speed save up for a scsi card and some 146gb drives and raid 0 them.

Having both I would put my 74gig raptor on top in terms of Real world performance for my OS drive.

Having seen a SSD drive in action I would say both are a waste of money if speed is what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Having both I would put my 74gig raptor on top in terms of Real world performance for my OS drive.

Having seen a SSD drive in action I would say both are a waste of money if speed is what you are looking for.

Yeah, i have the 36gb and 74gb raptors here. Always found the t166 faster in all hdtach benchmarks. Read time is obviously quicker on the raptors though, so booting in to the os will be faster that way. But i found games loaded quicker on the t166.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Nay it is then. Still have 50 GB free on the old Raptor so I will wait and see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement