Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia alive and well in Stormont

Options
  • 07-06-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭

Iris Robinson, the DUP's health spokeswoman in Stormont, vents some pent-up, Christian rage on the BBC:
    Mrs Robinson told BBC's Nolan Show: "I have a lovely psychiatrist who works with me and who tries to help homosexuals turn away from what they are engaged in.

"He is a Born Again Christian and has links all over the world and I have met people who have been turned around to become heterosexual and who have gone on to get married and raise families.

"Homosexuality is not natural. My Christian beliefs tell me that it is an abomination and that is very clear.

"It is an offence to God, an offensive act and something that God abhors."
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vile-gays-need-help-to-change-insists-dup-leaders-wife-1401325.html

Now, I know there are probably several other homophobes sitting in governments across Europe (Lech Kaczynski springs to mind), but to come out with such a tirade in the national media shows an incredible lack of judgement. She's not fit to represent the interests of anyone in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There is already a thread in AH if you are interested.

@your comment:
    Just because she has whacky Christian beliefs does not mean she is not fit to represent people. In a democracy, people vote for who they think can represent them, and if it is a whacky Christian, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Just because she has whacky Christian beliefs does not mean she is not fit to represent people.
    Absolutely, but I would be extremely surprised (and worried) if her views reflect those of her electorate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bigoted christians? that's just shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

"I have a lovely psychiatrist who works with me and who tries to help homosexuals turn away from what they are engaged in."

Is she hinting that shes a lesbian?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

eoin5 wrote: »
    Is she hinting that shes a lesbian?

Lol. But seriously it doesn't surprise me. The north has always been full of intolerant religious biggots. Ian Paisleys diatribes against the pope used to be a common occurrence. Things are changing but very slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I wonder if she got elected with that message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Im not homophobic but as a christian I disagree with homosexuality and I think its wrong.

I find it funny that a negative opinion on homosexuality is often met with outage yet christians are fair game to laugh at, joke about and call stupid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Babybing wrote: »
    Im not homophobic but as a christian I disagree with homosexuality and I think its wrong.

I find it funny that a negative opinion on homosexuality is often met with outage yet christians are fair game to laugh at, joke about and call stupid.

The largest Christian organistation wreaked all kinds of havok on Ireland when they were in power. Homosexuality has always been persecuted.

Maybe it's time for Christians to understand why this is happening and develop some humility about it. (Apologies to those that have.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's the DUP in most part. Ian Paisley Jr is twice as bad as that and has been very vocal against gay people. Ian Paisley Sr also has an anti-gay agenda. Not to mention, DUP councillor Maurice Mills who claimed that hurricane Katrina was a punishment from God against the gay people in New Orleans.

Bigotry runs wild in the DUP and has done for a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You are comparing peoples attitudes towards:

A) a sexual orientation

and

B) the belief that a woman was knocked up by her imaginary friend and their son was a magic zombie

I fail to see the connection between the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Most christians I know dont think homosexuality is wrong, and you should realise that breaking the taboo on religions is good for the religious as well as everyone else. Just think of all the abuses that could have been prevented if there had been a meaningful way to crititise the church back in the 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

wow , a DUP member makes homephobic comments , tell us something we dont no

the DUP are a christian right party at there core , what do you expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Here's a link to the actual call: http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/realmedia/nolan/radio/177.ram

Sinn Féin's Martina Anderson is calling for Iris Robinson's resignation. There is no place in today's society for that sort of bigotry. Why it's so ever-present within the DUP is beyond me.

dlofnep wrote: »
    That's the DUP in most part. Ian Paisley Jr is twice as bad as that and has been very vocal against gay people. Ian Paisley Sr also has an anti-gay agenda. Not to mention, DUP councillor Maurice Mills who claimed that hurricane Katrina was a punishment from God against the gay people in New Orleans.

Bigotry runs wild in the DUP and has done for a long time now.

and I think it has to be added that the fact that they are the biggest Unionist party says something about the beliefs and "values" of a large part of the unionist community.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Do people still think like this ? :confused: I don't understand people who think that homosexuality needs to be 'cured'. How unbelievably patronizing. I thought that being a 'true Christian' means loving everybody equally, not forcing them to change to fit into your belief system.

Advertisement