Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is wrong with some people..19 hour rape..

• 07-06-2008 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭

Over many torturous hours, she had been repeatedly raped, sodomized and forced to perform oral sex, a prosecutor told a jury on Thursday. The accused, Robert A. Williams, 31, had doused the woman’s face and body with boiling water and bleach, forced her to swallow handfuls of pills and to chase them with beer, sealed her mouth with glue, and bound her wrists and legs with shoelaces, cords and duct tape, said the prosecutor, Ann P. Prunty. And now, Ms. Prunty said, he was asking the woman to gouge out her own eyes with a pair of scissors.

Click

..sickening.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Full story:
    The time crept by so slowly and painfully that the 23-year-old Columbia University journalism student had decided it was time to end her life.

Over many torturous hours, she had been repeatedly raped, sodomized and forced to perform oral sex, a prosecutor told a jury on Thursday. The accused, Robert A. Williams, 31, had doused the woman’s face and body with boiling water and bleach, forced her to swallow handfuls of pills and to chase them with beer, sealed her mouth with glue, and bound her wrists and legs with shoelaces, cords and duct tape, said the prosecutor, Ann P. Prunty. And now, Ms. Prunty said, he was asking the woman to gouge out her own eyes with a pair of scissors.

And so the woman, sitting on the floor of her studio apartment in Hamilton Heights and holding a pair of scissors between her knees — the blade pointing toward her face — tried to stop the suffering. She lowered her face to the blade, but turned her head at the last moment, trying to stab herself in the neck instead of her eyes.

The scissors slipped from her grasp, the suicide attempt failed, and the woman suffered several more hours of torture, Ms. Prunty said.

The woman survived the nearly 19-hour ordeal, which ended, Ms. Prunty said, when she used a fire started by Mr. Williams to burn the cords that secured her wrists to a futon.

Mr. Williams went on trial Thursday in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, where he faces 71 criminal counts, including attempted murder, rape, arson and assault. If convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Mr. Williams, who was homeless at the time of his arrest about a week later at the scene of a burglary in Queens, has a lengthy police record dating to his childhood, the authorities have said.

He was charged in a murder as a juvenile, though the outcome of that case is sealed, a law enforcement official said, and he spent eight years in prison for an attempted-murder conviction in 1996.

The prosecution began presenting its case with Ms. Prunty’s vivid, step-by-step account of the attack, which she said began about 10 p.m. on April 13, 2007, and lasted until 4 p.m. the following afternoon. Mr. Williams’s lawyer, Arnold J. Levine, did not make an opening statement. Outside the courtroom, Mr. Levine declined to talk about his strategy. In hearings before the trial, he seemed to indicate that he would challenge witnesses’ identification of his client.

The victim and several witnesses in the six-story apartment building where the woman lived picked out Mr. Williams from lineups, Ms. Prunty said. She said that DNA evidence also linked him to the crime.

Justice Carol Berkman, who is presiding over the trial, found in October that Mr. Williams was mentally fit for trial. After that decision, Mr. Levine said he was considering a mental illness defense.

As Ms. Prunty delivered her opening statement, Mr. Williams sat slouched in his chair, with his head tilted downward.

On the night of the attack, the victim, a month from graduating with a master’s degree, was at Columbia, putting the final touches on her résumé for a job fair the next day, Ms. Prunty said. When she arrived at her apartment building, she got on the elevator and found Mr. Williams inside, Ms. Prunty said. She rode with him to her floor, and could hear him follow her as she navigated the long L-shaped hallway to her apartment.

As the woman entered her apartment, Ms. Prunty said, Mr. Williams asked her if she knew where a Mrs. Evans lived. The woman stopped to answer.

“Her kind moment of hesitation would cost her,” Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams forced his way into the apartment, Ms. Prunty said, put the woman in a chokehold, and slapped her cellphone from her hand. Mr. Williams slammed the door behind him, and “her Friday the 13th nightmare began,” Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams turned a clock by the woman’s bed to the wall and made her take off her watch so she would not know what time it was, Ms. Prunty said. He raped her repeatedly and cut her hair because “he wanted to see her face, her fear and humiliation.”

He made her sit in her bathtub, and that was the first time he told her to gouge her eyes, Ms. Prunty said. He punished her for refusing by boiling water in a kettle and throwing it on her, the prosecutor said. The water jolted her so much that she broke through the bonds on her wrist, Ms. Prunty said, as the skin on her chest, torso and thighs blistered. (On hearing this detail, one of the jurors shook his head and covered his mouth.)

“Just kill me! Just kill me!” the woman pleaded, Ms. Prunty said.

Later, after her failed attempt to kill herself with the scissors, Mr. Williams threw a heavy object at the back of her head, cracking her skull, Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams was intent on damaging her vision because, Ms. Prunty said, “a blind witness could never identify her attacker.”

Mr. Williams eventually slit the woman’s eyelids and face with a butcher knife, Ms. Prunty said, but she did not lose her vision. He fastened her legs and arms to a futon, and she lost consciousness.

When she awoke, she again pleaded for him to kill her, but heard no response. He was gone.

Mr. Williams “only stopped when he could no longer feel the scourge of control over another human being,” Ms. Prunty said.

The woman smelled smoke, Ms. Prunty said, so she wriggled her legs free and pulled the futon away from the wall. She used the fire to free her arms, Ms. Prunty said, and then ran through the smoke to her door. It took her several attempts to open it because her hands were limp and numb, Ms. Prunty said.

The woman ran through her hallway seeking help, Ms. Prunty said, “an image of the walking, living dead.”

What sort of sick depraved bastard would do such a thing. That is just fúcked up beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Poor woman.

Will have to keep an eye out for the verdict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Death penalty time. People like that shouldn't be allowed to walk the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Wagon wrote: »

Only a death penalty involving 19 hours of torture would be good enough for the sick fcukn cúnt. I can't believe that. That poor girl. Wtf. I'm in shock... :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Dreadful.

I hope he never tastes freedom again. Sick fu*k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Now remember everybody.. even though it's not funny the jokes you make about it are funny.

*awaits hilarity*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd have to agree with this. It seems that the guy had a history of being nothing but human detriment...
    Mr. Williams, who was homeless at the time of his arrest about a week later at the scene of a burglary in Queens, has a lengthy police record dating to his childhood, the authorities have said.

He was charged in a murder as a juvenile, though the outcome of that case is sealed, a law enforcement official said, and he spent eight years in prison for an attempted-murder conviction in 1996.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Peared wrote: »
    Now remember everybody.. even though it's not funny the jokes you make about it are funny.

*awaits hilarity*
    LOL

Hmmm... I'm opposed to the death penalty in general but I don't see why exceptions can't be made - if anyone asks where one draws the line, simple really: when the perpetrator does something along the lines of this guy. I doubt he can be rehabilitated so what would be the point in wasting a prison cell/psychiatric ward on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Christ, that's sick stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Fúcking terrible.
    I hope that guy gets shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That's tough reading. Put the guy away for life, one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

She should be allowed to have her revenge in any way she wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Jesus H Christ, I actually broke down reading that.
    Nothing would be punishment enough for that waste of organs.
    That is the most horrible account I've ever read.
    It saddens me that a human could be capable of doing this...that is if you want to call him that.

Piste wrote: »
    She should be allowed to have her revenge in any way she wants.

A justice system allowing that would find it tough going.

Torture stories like this shock me more than most murder or theft cases. The idea of inflicting pain on another human being for kicks baffles me. Horrific stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

trout wrote: »
    Poor woman.

Will have to keep an eye out for the verdict.

Is that a joke? Bad taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pretty gruesome it must be said. He should be put into that tent prison for the rest of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

That's the worst thing I've ever heard. Couldn't even read all of it. The man should be sent to the most dangerous prison they can can find and every prisoner there should be told what he done. I'm sure they'd make his life a living hell, even though it still wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as what the sick prick done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A justice system allowing that would find it tough going.

Torture stories like this shock me more than most murder or theft cases. The idea of inflicting pain on another human being for kicks baffles me. Horrific stuff.

Nah I just meant in this case, and don't start on about legal precedent, I just mean in this case and any other case I decide should be settled like this :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Let's use the guys body for scientific experiments. At least we might learn something !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

*awaits hilarity*

It's because a lot of people still think of rape as being primarily about sex not the abuse of power.
    Sex still brings on the usual juvenile responses/ attitudes/ jokes.

Once you understand the difference you can never associate rape with anything to do with what sex is meant to be about.

Usually when decent people really come up against the horror of rape they can't joke about it.

There's just no way anybody could find this case sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Pitchforks and an angry mob tbh.

What a sick bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

i heard before that a skilled torturer can keep you alive for weeks before you die. THATS the punishment i'd be handing out.

Best wishes to the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

carolmon wrote: »
    It's because a lot of people still think of rape as being primarily about sex not the abuse of power.
    Sex still brings on the usual juvenile responses/ attitudes/ jokes.

Once you understand the difference you can never associate rape with anything to do with what sex is meant to be about.

Usually when decent people really come up against the horror of rape they can't joke about it.

There's just no way anybody could find this case sexy.

I know what you're saying but that kind of makes it worse.

Like theres sexy rape and non sexy rape.

Women our mother and grandmothers ages are raped every day. Sexy much?

The jokey silence here is deafening.

This is the reality of rape - pain, terror, violence, sometimes death.

Anyhoo, I got crucified for saying this before so I shall take my leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Jesus, thats a bit rough !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

If that was in ireland he would prob get 3 years.Out in 2 with good behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

gixerfixer wrote: »
    If that was in ireland he would prob get 3 years.Out in 2 with good behaviour

Thank fcuk it's not! If I heard that story had happened here I can honestly say I would never ever EVER go anywhere alone for the rest of my life!

Heard of a similar story in England several years ago - except the guy tortured the girl (who was his partner) over a long period of time. He'd also douse her in boiling water, and in the end, he gouged her eyes out. Sadly, she didn't survive. She was only young too - 17 or so. He was a lot older than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

This is the reality of rape - pain, terror, violence, sometimes death.

Anyhoo, I got crucified for saying this before so I shall take my leave.

Hi Peared

I totally agree

I 100% believe that the people who joke about it are blissfully unaware of this reality, fortunately for them.

Like you I really dislike rape jokes and view them as an extra and unnecessary pain that victims encounter.

However I try to understand the intent and the level of unawareness they display when I come across them.

I don't think people really understand rape and this is down to many issues, ignorance, immaturity, social and cultural attitudes, media. etc..

I really hope that when people make these jokes they are a kind of distancing.

Most people couldn't stomach them if they really considered it could be about their wives/ girlfriends/ sisters/ mothers/ daughters (or sons) or had to witness the aftermath of an attack and the damage it does to the victim.

The response to this thread show that when people really come up against the issue their naturalresponses are disgust, rage, horror and incomprehension etc,

So Peared don't leave, your opinion may challenge some to have a rethink.

I've heard people say that racist jokes aren't really racist and that they would never tell them in front of ethnic groups etc

Do people think about this before they come out with rape jokes?
    You might be able to tell if somebody's black but how do you know who has experienced sexual abuse?
    Might be worth a thought..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

The idea of inflicting pain on another human being for kicks baffles me. Horrific stuff.

I think it's a power or control thing and nothing to do with sex. This guy obviously had a hard life where he probably felt completely out of control of his own life and doing something like this, taking someone elses life in your own hands and the feeling of completely owning someone, probably gave him some sort of release and power trip.

I can understand the psychology of something like this but it's dispicable to think anyone could do this.

Death would be too easy for him the punishment should reflect the crime. He should be dangled into a pit full of other sick bastards like him where he can be subjected to some of the same rape and sodomy and torture he inflicted on another human being until near death. Then just as the f.ucker is about to die he should be dragged out nursed back to health rehabilitated made to feel comfortable and told he's been forgiven then just as he thinks he's being released throw him back in there to join the rest of the filth of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yet another one of those psychos who manages to spend years in the legal system, meeting shrinks, social-workers, probation-officers etc etc - and is still allowed the freedom to do what he did. Surely, at least one of these so-called experts knew what he was capable of. Too many grey areas and loopholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hey Peared
    it didn't take long.
    sums up everything I said previously...........

You are like a modern day Nostradamus. I applaud you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Fucking animal. He should be put in front of a firing squad. It's hard to imagine the victim ever having a normal life again after enduring that.

Yet again, this is not the Lolocaust. Any Lolocaust worthy comments have been deleted, as well as responses to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Jesus that is ****ing SICK, Take all his organs give them to people that need him and kill him. If ever someone deserved the death penalty its this guy, and im usually against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A fine specimen for study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

only if we can make the death penalty really, really long and painful. a lethal injection is far too nice for him, he needs real torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That was tough reading. How will that poor girl ever live a normal life again. That sick f**k should be destroyed in the most painful way possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

:mad::mad::mad:
    Thats the worst ive heard,19 hours rape!
    What going through the guys mind?
    most evil thing walked on this world,hope he dosent walk alive in the world.
    what a sad,sick,evil,twisted,demented,pychopathed man he is.
    death to him ,oh yes crucified!
    torture oh yes,hang him with his co#k,jerk him up and down until he falls,cut the fu#ker up to bits and his flesh will be fed by my pigs hence the words greedy as a pig!They will go through bones like butter.
    call the americans il be glad to take care of that madman myself no bother!

Mr.S wrote: »
    1 - Chemical Castration.

2 - Locked up for the rest of his life, no appeals.

Death Penalty would be the easy way out for this ****er.
    +1. I wouldn't be an advocate of this "he tortured someone horribly so let's reduce ourselves to his level and torture him horribly" mindset - no matter what he did. The same goes for Fritzl, and my revulsion regarding that case hasn't simmered down at all since the story broke about six weeks ago.

Solitary confinement with limited stimulation and human contact I think would be the way to go. Although why waste a jail cell on someone who's beyond rehabilitation?

• Advertisement

DanGerMus wrote: »
    I think it's a power or control thing and nothing to do with sex.

I was referring to torture in general. But yeah your right, rape is a power thing rather than sex. If it was just lust then it'd be easier to just find a hooker.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    i heard before that a skilled torturer can keep you alive for weeks before you die. THATS the punishment i'd be handing out.

Yeah, medieval torture was an art form, the whole idea being that you could keep acaptive on the brink of death and yet still alive.

I went to a torture museum in Antwerp. Horrible horrible stuff.

Dudess wrote: »
    +1. I wouldn't be an advocate of this "he tortured someone horribly so let's reduce ourselves to his level and torture him horribly" mindset - no matter what he did. The same goes for Fritzl, and my revulsion regarding that case hasn't simmered down at all since the story broke about six weeks ago.

Solitary confinement with limited stimulation and human contact I think would be the way to go. Although why waste a jail cell on someone who's beyond rehabilitation?

Saves me having to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That Bastard should suffer horribly for what he did.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Shocking behaviour, there aren't sentences in law to describe the punishment fitting such a vile act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

I hope he gets the same done to him in prison only more often untill he dies, then throw his remains in the skip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Absolutely sickening, how anyone can put another human through something like that is beyond me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Anyone who would force themselves on another is just a sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I really hope this woman has family and friends that will gather round her and help her through this because I imagine she'll be feeling the effects for years. I really, really, really hope that. And that she gets a psychiatrist who knows his shit. And surgeons the same for any of her injuries.

I really, really, really hope that.
    Dudess wrote: »
    I'm opposed to the death penalty in general but I don't see why exceptions can't be made

It's because we can't guarantee convictions are 100% accurate. Eventually an innocent person would be put to death. Can't fix that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

First of all, this person's trial appears to have just started. The prosecution have made their opening speech, but no evidence has been heard. His defence may well be that it was someone else entirely or that they got the wrong guy; without hearing the evidence you can't possibly know what he is or is not guilty of. The rush to condemn him based on a newspaper report of a lawyer's speech is worrying.

Second, a person's previous convictions have little or no bearing on whether they actually committed the offence, but it is quite likely to lead a jury to assume that the person is guilty, so the newspaper report really shouldn't have mentioned his record.

Well sometimes it is about sex, this trite statement cannot be applied to all cases of rape or related sexual offences.

Fundamentally, sex is a natural imperative, and for many animals their version of sex would be rape by human standards. Indeed, when we were monkeys I'm sure that a high proportion of all the sex that took place was rape. Sorry to go off thread, but the most basic motive for rape can very often be the same as the most basic motive for sex. That is not to say that it always is, there are many rape cases that are, as you say, about abuse of power, but it is a significant factor.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yet another one of those psychos who manages to spend years in the legal system, meeting shrinks, social-workers, probation-officers etc etc - and is still allowed the freedom to do what he did. Surely, at least one of these so-called experts knew what he was capable of. Too many grey areas and loopholes.

I understood that only one previous conviction was mentioned, but even still, what do you think should have been done? It's easy in retrospect to say he should have been kept in prison, but then again those girls shouldn't have taken the Navan bus that day, so hindsight is of little use.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    2 - Locked up for the rest of his life, no appeals.

While if he was convicted life imprisonment would be the likely sentence, why no appeals? Is it not possible for a miscarriage of justice to occur?
    newname wrote: »
    I hope he gets the same done to him in prison only more often untill he dies, then throw his remains in the skip.

In america, for a high profile rapist that is highly likely.

A lot of people here seem to think two wrongs make a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

kowloon wrote: »
    A fine specimen for study.
    random wrote: »
    Let's use the guys body for scientific experiments. At least we might learn something !

^I genuinely think this is the most reasonable course of action with these guys.^

I am sick to death (no pun intended) of hearing about these subhuman fcukers acting like this... Fritzl, this guy.

These actions are irreconcilable with any notion of humanity so why fcuking treat him like a human.
    Why do people have such qualms about this.
    Some people just forfeit humanity when they do stuff like this.

Surely more would be gained by studying his brain/psychological make-up (in the hope of offsetting something like this kinda thing in the future) than letting him live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement