Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is wrong with some people..19 hour rape..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

That's f*cked up, wonder how long (if ever) it'll take for her to be rehabilitated.

Thank Christ it wasn't in Ireland though or the pr1ck would be out in 8-12 years maximum.

Hopefully he doesn't get the death penalty though, that would be far too easy, sticking him in a padded room with nothing to harm himself with for the rest of his days would be far better. Perhaps include a tap that drips continually, just to drive him completely off the rails.

Poor girl though, what a horrible thing to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

tech77 wrote: »
    These actions are irreconcilable with any notion of humanity so why fcuking treat him like a human.

As it seperates us from them.

Yes treat him like a human, albeit one hell of a sick f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes. Humanity weeps again...

19 Hours...

i sentance that man to 19 hours of cell time with bubba. Lock door and ignore screams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

First of all, this person's trial appears to have just started. The prosecution have made their opening speech, but no evidence has been heard. His defence may well be that it was someone else entirely or that they got the wrong guy; without hearing the evidence you can't possibly know what he is or is not guilty of. The rush to condemn him based on a newspaper report of a lawyer's speech is worrying.

Erm...
    The victim and several witnesses in the six-story apartment building where the woman lived picked out Mr. Williams from lineups, Ms. Prunty said. She said that DNA evidence also linked him to the crime.

So, yeah...

I feel sorry for this poor girl, because no punishment is punishment enough for this guy. He'll either be executed and given the easy way out. Or he'll be in prision with all the luxuries associated with same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

As it seperates us from them.

Yes treat him like a human, albeit one hell of a sick f*ck.

Yeah but we study/kill animals and that's reconcilable with our humanity isn't it? (vegetarianism/animal rights protesters aside).

And this guy is no more than an animal.
    I'd have serious problems recognising him as a human tbh.

So would it be inconsistent with our humanity to treat him like an animal?

Yeah but we study/kill animals and that's reconcilable with our humanity isn't it? (vegetarianism/animal rights protesters aside).
    I'm against animal testing. You're bringing in a whole other argument.
    I find it odd that people think there are predicates to being human. he did a terrible terrible thing and if it was him, he needs to be segregated from people for the rest of his life if only for their protection.

But then again, I think there is something wonderfully self righteous that differs me from him: I will still see him as a human. Regardless of how he treated that poor woman.
    Why would it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Or he'll be in prision with all the luxuries associated with same.
    A term at a maximum security jail along the lines of Oz... I could think of a number of terms to describe what accompanies such a sentence - however, "luxuries" is definitely not one of them.

Sadly, only a human is capable of what he did.

Or he'll be in prision with all the luxuries associated with same.

In America?

For such a heinous crime?

American prisons are awful, awful places. Especially for those convicted of sex crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It would be inconsistent with my humanity because he isn't actually an animal. Just like he isn't a football or a chair.

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth; it just doesn't work in the long run. Our justice system developed the way it has for good reason.

• Advertisement

I'm against animal testing. You're bringing in a whole other argument.

I find it odd that people think there are predicates to being human. he did a terrible terrible thing and if it was him, he needs to be segregated from people for the rest of his life if only for their protection.

But then again, I think there is something wonderfully self righteous that differs me from him: I will still see him as a human. Regardless of how he treated that poor woman.

Why would it be?

Fair enough.
    It's just difficult (for me at least) to accept this as part of humanity that's all.

Edit: Just about the study thing:
    I can't help but feel that a better understanding of the psychology of this $hit is being wasted by not subjecting him to some kinda study.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In America?

For such a heinous crime?

American prisons are awful, awful places. Especially for those convicted of sex crimes.
    Meh, Still not punishment enough.

Understandable Tech77.

Make no mistake, this guy is a sick fecker of the highest order.

Meh, Still not punishment enough.

Can a punishment ever be enough to the victim?

Edit: Just about the study thing:
    I can't help but feel that a better understanding of the psychology of this $hit is being wasted by not subjecting him to some kinda study.

A good idea. I assumed people meant Mengele style testing.

Trying to evaluate him and understand his psychology is a capital idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Jasus, that's vile in the worst form I can imagine, he deserves death for that at the very least :(:(:(

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It would be inconsistent with my humanity because he isn't actually an animal. Just like he isn't a football or a chair.

It's a shame that humanity has to be defined in strict biological terms more than say in terms of things like psychology/behaviour etc.

In cases so heinous, if further understanding of this variant of "human" psychology could be aggressively gleaned and and eventually treated, we'd all be better off.

It's not so much about about the "eye for an eye" thing either tbh.
    Although punishment is important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Horrible... send the c*nt to Thailand to serve his prison sentence...

It's a shame that humanity has to be defined in strict biological terms more than say in terms of things like psychology/behaviour etc.

And it's a shame people feel the need to de-humanise someone so they can exact a satisfying punishment. That's basically how they teach soldiers and torturers to view the enemy - as animals. You really want to incorporate that into our justice system?
    In cases so heinous, if further understanding of this variant of "human" psychology could be aggressively gleaned and and eventually treated, we'd all be better off.

Oh, I absolutely agree with studying the psychology and psychiatry of such people. Like kotj says it sounded like you were talking about injecting him with serum or something. We actually know a fair amount about this stuff already and it's unlikely we'll learn much more from studying one person but we should still do it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Erm...

So, yeah...

Just because she said there will be evidence, that does not mean there is evidence. Do you not understand the difference?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Who knows what the victim wants, and I doubt very much that people who ask such questions really care about the victims. They want vengeance against a person they don't know because he symbolises their fear of crime. They get their message across by seeking to have him tortured in the victims name, because asking for him to be tortured for their own sake sounds a bit perverted.

And in all this, the actual victim is just a political football, to be kicked about in an effort to score a few goals.

I believe that the healthiest way for victims of violent/sexual crime to come to terms is to do so on their own terms. The mordern, evening herald type of baying for heavy sentences is a two fold curse for victims:

1) it gives them the false belief that the criminal justice system can restore them to the position they were in before the offence, but it can never do this, and more importantly

2) it makes victims feel inadequate where the offender is given a lower sentence than the media would expect - by conditioning victims to feel that they want a heavy sentence, we are setting them up for a fall when the sentence falls short of divine retribution (which it invariably does).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Death is too easy a punishment for him.

Hung, drawn & quartered.
    I agree, he doesnt deserve the death penalty, he deserves so much worse.

Life in prison, solitary confinment for the rest of his life.

That was a tough read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I understood that only one previous conviction was mentioned, but even still, what do you think should have been done? It's easy in retrospect to say he should have been kept in prison, but then again those girls shouldn't have taken the Navan bus that day, so hindsight is of little use.

If you read the article, you will see that he's been in the system for years, both inside and outside prison, and not for minor offences (although there could have been these in addition). The experts had enough access to him to find out what makes him tick. They could have nipped whatever problems he had in the bud. The system failed.

In the Navan case, that was another failure of a system.

In neither of these cases is hindsight of any relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

uggh, oh my god the eye thing, i feel sick!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you read the article, you will see that he's been in the system for years, both inside and outside prison, and not for minor offences (although there could have been these in addition). The experts had enough access to him to find out what makes him tick. They could have nipped whatever problems he had in the bud. The system failed.

I didn't see that in the article, perhaps you will quote it. What I saw was:
    Mr. Williams, who was homeless at the time of his arrest about a week later at the scene of a burglary in Queens, has a lengthy police record dating to his childhood, the authorities have said.

He was charged in a murder as a juvenile, though the outcome of that case is sealed, a law enforcement official said, and he spent eight years in prison for an attempted-murder conviction in 1996.

The only previous conviction mentioned is the attempted murder. Often times, a "length police record" can mean a few minor public order, road traffic, drug possession or petty theft offences and these are hardly predictors of future savage rapine.
    In the Navan case, that was another failure of a system.

In neither of these cases is hindsight of any relevance.

That hindsight is not of any relevance is exactly my point. It's easy to look at this person and (provided he is proved guilty that is) say what should have been done in hindsight, but we can't assume that someone could have predicted that this would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

its easy to jump on the bandwagon and say kill the animal!!!

there are no winners here only victims!!!u can lock up the perpetrator for life but the suffering the female victim will go through will aslways be greater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Well yeah, an event like is going to traumatise her for life, if all he gets is a few years in a mental institute or 25 years in prison she'll always fear him coming back, imagine living with what he did and then added to that the fear that at some point he may have the opportunity to come back to finish the job. That's 25 years of always waiting for that day, he's in prison but his (like ever other) rape victim also becomes a prisoner. Death to them is the only way to free their victims IMO and fcuk his human rights, humans don't do what he did, hell I wouldn't even agree with PETA defending him because even animals wouldn't do that, he's not human, he's not animal he's a sub-species and there's no group for them so let the fcukers die, society is well rid IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And you will hear some people on this forum in legalities or some such thread say ' but prison doesnt reform or sovle anything ' and fight for the rights of pricks like this to appeal any sentence handed down .

Kazobel wrote: »
    Well yeah, an event like is going to traumatise her for life, if all he gets is a few years in a mental institute or 25 years in prison she'll always fear him coming back, imagine living with what he did and then added to that the fear that at some point he may have the opportunity to come back to finish the job. That's 25 years of always waiting for that day, he's in prison but his (like ever other) rape victim also becomes a prisoner.
    Point is, no matter what happens to the perp, chances are no punishment will ever be enough for a victim to feel validated. How often do you hear the victim/family say they are satisfied with the sentence? Usually it's complaints on how it's not long enough.

Cases are often not about keeping the perp sequesterd. Surely life imprisonment would do this. Usually I hear the victim demanding vengeance.
    Death to them is the only way to free their victims IMO
    Free them? There is always a chance that the accused was innocent (especially given the notorious state of US courts) and what happens if it's discovered he is innocent? Exonerated in death?
    and fcuk his human rights, humans don't do what he did, hell I wouldn't even agree with PETA defending him because even animals wouldn't do that, he's not human, he's not animal he's a sub-species and there's no group for them so let the fcukers die, society is well rid IMO.
    Animals are incapable of doing such an act. Only humans are. A persons actions do not make them a sub species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Hung, drawn and quartered sounds about right
    to me. I think a violent narcissist (a psychopath
    would probably never risk leaving the victim alive)
    can only be reliably dealt with with lock and key,
    or maybe extensive lobotomy, if an experimental
    approach is allowed ;)

Carolmon, I think your points are interesting,
    and I think you could have a standalone debate
    on the nature of rape-jokes etc. and what they
    might indicate.

Petty antagonism tends to rear its ugly head all
    over this site and particularly in After Hours when
    something unusual is offered (hello Earthorse!).

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Dudess wrote: »
    Solitary confinement with limited stimulation and human contact I think would be the way to go. Although why waste a jail cell on someone who's beyond rehabilitation?

Because justice systems are fallible and they might have imprisoned the wrong guy.

How could you rehabilitate sombody like this ? would it be worth it ? at what cost to tax payer and society in general ?

If found guilty and not to be executed then people such as this guy should be locked up until the day of their natural death

That's about as human as it gets and the least the victims can expect .

• Advertisement

Intothesea wrote: »
    Petty antagonism tends to rear its ugly head all over this site and particularly in After Hours when something unusual is offered (hello Earthorse!).

Ya wha?

You think I've been pettily antagonistic? Explain how.

I think people can read your first foray
    into this thread (after reading Carolman's
    of course) and make their own minds up.

Okay, are you sure you haven't confused me with someone else? I can't believe I'm quoting myself here. This is my first foray into the thread.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    I really hope this woman has family and friends that will gather round her and help her through this because I imagine she'll be feeling the effects for years. I really, really, really hope that. And that she gets a psychiatrist who knows his shit. And surgeons the same for any of her injuries.

I really, really, really hope that.

<Dudess's quote about the death penalty>

It's because we can't guarantee convictions are 100% accurate. Eventually an innocent person would be put to death. Can't fix that.

How is that pettily antagonistic?

I read it. I'd view Earthorse as being a level headed person.

Sorry Earthorse, my point still stands,
    rough-hew it how you will :D

I really really really hope that you don't
    come out looking too bad from this,
    really :pac:

/Exeunt

I read it. I'd view Earthorse as being a level headed person.

Thank you.
    rough-hew it how you will :D

If I could understand your point I'd be happy enough. You're just being passive-aggressive. Accusing me of something and then punctuating it with a smiley. carolmon made an excellent post about people joking about things like rape, something I've never done to the best of my knowledge.
    come out looking too bad from this, really :pac:

Do you think I'm being insincere or patronising, is that it? I'm not. I think there's too much focus on retribution in cases like this and not enough focus on rehabilitation for the victim.

Does it?
    come out looking too bad from this,
    really :pac:

/Exeunt

Not much danger of that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

That's bizarre.

You're the one who has spun this thread into something else. Some kind of vendetta against some seemingly earnest comments.

As for the original post, sick fùck, lock him away, but don't get too shocked. Mankind is littered with this sort of thing.

Specially during war time, mankind shows it's most beastly side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I didn't see that in the article, perhaps you will quote it. What I saw was:

The only previous conviction mentioned is the attempted murder. Often times, a "length police record" can mean a few minor public order, road traffic, drug possession or petty theft offences and these are hardly predictors of future savage rapine.

That hindsight is not of any relevance is exactly my point. It's easy to look at this person and (provided he is proved guilty that is) say what should have been done in hindsight, but we can't assume that someone could have predicted that this would happen.

Charged with murder as a juvenile? Locked up for attempted murder? Long history in the system? One would be extremely naive to think that a person with this kind of background had no psychiatric evaluation.

You said that hindsight was of little use. I said that hindsight wasn't relevant.

Charged with murder as a juvenile? Locked up for attempted murder? Long history in the system? One would be extremely naive to think that a person with this kind of background had no psychiatric evaluation.

Why is that? Do they perform automatic evaluations on all persons in prison? It's a pretty big assumption on your part that he has had one, and even if he did have someone look at him, it's unlikely that he had anything more than a cursory check-up to make sure that he isn't trying to kill himself.
    You said that hindsight was of little use. I said that hindsight wasn't relevant.

Whatever way you spin it, there is no point in saying what should have happened, it's too late for that. Focus more on what should be done to prevent similar offences in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

That is disgusting. And what I think is worse is that he'll probably end up getting a few years jail time, and not what he deserves. He needs his manhood removed for starters, maybe his hands too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

God almighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Here's the scumbags mugshot

amd_columbia.jpg

Notorious wrote: »
    He needs his manhood removed for starters, maybe his hands too...

How about a fair trial for starters? If he is convicted you can then set about discussing punishment.

• Advertisement

how About A Fair Trial For Starters? If He Is Convicted You Can Then Set About Discussing Punishment.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

If he's found guilty, then he should be locked away for life in solitary confinement with NO luxuries and the most basic food/sanitary facilities.

Creeps who commit these kinds of offences should not receive the death penalty - it lets them off way too lightly. They should be locked up, but not rehabilitated. They should suffer complete isolation until their last breath.

That's the only decent enough punishment I can think of.

How about a fair trial for starters? If he is convicted you can then set about discussing punishment.

The do gooders will make sure his human rights come first whatever .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

That is pretty ****ing sick alright. If he's guilty I hope he gets a long prison term and lots of unlubricated prison sodomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

latchyco wrote: »
    The do gooders will make sure his human rights come first whatever .

Them bloody do-gooders with their damn justice and equality. Really boils my blood.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement