Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the EU going?

Options
  • 07-06-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am a 60:40 in favour of a No vote at the moment. My biggest concern is my trust of the EU seems to be getting weaker and weaker and the eu is supposed to be getting closer and closer to the people but it seems to be doing quite the opposite.

My trust of europe was actually made weaker by this lisbon treaty. I do not like the way that europe is withholding information that could potentially swing voters to the "No" side of the lisbon vote. That is not being fully honest in my books.

The fact that we are the only people of a country actually having a choice on whether the treaty is implemented or not is another worrying factor. One can argue that that is the problem with the countries in question and not ours but I have two problems with that. Firstly, if those countries don't care what their people want - why would they care what the Irish people want at a euopean level? Why not ask them? Secondly, I think we should think of the other people in europe since we are in the EU and that is what it is partly *supposed* to be about.

Another problem I see is that the Irish government seem so intent on keeping europe happy (which seems to be the main argument to vote "yes" to lisbon that I can see i.e. if we vote no then we will be thrown to the side of europe). Will they always be trying to keep europe happy? When tax harminisation is being strongly proposed in europe will the same thing happen as Nice happen again i.e. Full tax harminisation (Berlin 1) - rejected by Ireland; 99% Tax harminisation with guaranteed neutrality (Berlin 2) - accepted by Ireland. I think FG in power would not solve that problem as they are saying the same type of things i.e. we don't want to be left behind in europe.

I am pro EU and I think it is a good idea but my biggest question is - where is the EU going? Will the line ever be drawn before we get a federal government in brussels or wherever? I feel it could never be in Ireland's interest to be controlled strongly from a place in another country.

What do you think?

Advertisement