Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25yr old professional footballer arrested

• 07-06-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭

...at a crash, fatal accident on M6 in England. Breaking news on Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just heard this myself. Speculation will be flying around nw I'm sure. Wonder if its any top flight footballer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

black Range Rover

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iJm6jCUAgCyMSXslbAK_6Ts_WoFA

Must be top-flight!

Mike.

8 & 10 year old kids...Jesus!

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1318371,00.html
    Footballer Held After Kids Die In Crash
    Updated:13:37, Saturday June 07, 2008

A 25-year-old professional footballer has been arrested after a crash on the M6 in which two children died this morning, Sky News sources say.
    The children, aged eight and 10, were killed after the smash shortly before 5.45am.
    The man arrested was driving a Range Rover and was not hurt in the crash.

He is being held on suspicious of causing death by dangerous driving.

More follows

8 & 10, damn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So sad...Imagine losing two people from your family in one go ? Heart goes out to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Respect for there familly and the two little kids,I dont think this is the place to speculate, but I would still like to know

list all 25 year old footballers not in euro 2008 so we can narrow down the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

tbh its more Sky News "watch us for the next few hours and find out" fare. Professional footballer could mean a guy who earns £25,000 a year playing in a League 3 team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Which part of England is the M6 near?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Linking road from London to Birmingham I think?:confused:

Bad buzz whatever the circumstances, especially with the fatalities being kids anorl :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Staffordshire which is close to Stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Near Crewe.

On the BBC Website they also showed Liverpool on the map - don't know if that's significant. No scale though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/7441622.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

It's near enough to Manchester and Liverpool. Which means there's a chance the player in question could be from one of the 4 big teams in the area United,City,Liverpool and Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

Hmm, a certain 25 year-old Liverpool and ex-Birmingham player with a bad driving history springs to mind...however, the fact that they say "professional" and not "Premiership" footballer probably means it's some randomer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

$lattman wrote: »
    however, the fact that they say "professional" and not "Premiership" footballer probably means it's some randomer.

Yeah was thinking the same thing myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Good detective work $lattman.

Surely it couldnt be him again.

I'd imagine he'd be looking at serious jail time if it was him - prob a number of years if convicted.

True about the professional vs Premiership though.

Anyone know any 25 year old Crewe Alexandria players with a range rover?

$lattman wrote: »
    Hmm, a certain 25 year-old Liverpool and ex-Birmingham player with a bad driving history springs to mind....

That particular footballer's name has come up a couple of times already on a few fourms but it's probably not him because as you rightly pointed out they would have said Premiership footballer if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

Yeah and I'm fairly sure he's banned from driving for a few years anyway.

The accident only happened near Crewe...could have been going from/to anywhere really, doesnt necessarily mean he's from the club nearest the accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

its a footballer from plymouth argyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

From the BBC News website:

"The arrested man, who was heading from Manchester to Silverstone, was not hurt, police said."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The player in question Plays for Plymouth Argyle just been announced on Sky News.

Just had a look around on the site looking at the players ages, from what I see, it seems to be one of the two strikers that start for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SantryRed wrote: »
    Just had a look around on the site looking at the players ages, from what I see, it seems to be one of the two strikers that start for them.

It's the goalkeeper, Luke McCormack.

Poor B*stard.

Hopefully it will have simply been a tragic accident.

Thoughts are with the childrens family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Up on wikipaedia already, that didn't take long
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_McCormick

Shows that he is 24 though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

micmclo wrote: »
    Up on wikipaedia already, that didn't take long
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_McCormick

Shows that he is 24 though??

Yeah born 1983 in August so 24 alright.

Jesus, look how quickly his life is gonna change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7442783.stm

McCormick has been charged with causing the deaths of the two children. My Sympathy for him evaporated when I read the following however:

"Mr McCormick has been charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving, driving with excess alcohol and driving without insurance. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its gets worse - he recently did a safety promo for the local plod (driving while using a phone being the theme).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

with that info after coming to light, he deserves whatever he gets and more. asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

mike65 wrote: »
    Its gets worse - he recently did a safety promo for the local plod (driving while using a phone being the theme).

Mike.
    Life has a cruel sense of irony.

Really stupid on his part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Why is it that other people come off worse when you have arseholes like this ******* idiot driving??

Scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Feckin eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

driving with excess alcohol and no insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

He will be goalkeeping for the prison team for a long time and deservedly so the silly man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Why is it that other people come off worse when you have arseholes like this ******* idiot driving??

Scumbag

Cause of the size of the monster he was driving the p*ick..a people carrier didnt stand a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

He has to live with killing to kids

he deserves the guilt

my heart goes out to the familys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Does nobody feel sorry for him?

Its not like he is evil. Seriously the guilt, and being told you can never drive again should be enough...its not like he is a menace to society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Are you for real? First of all he drives while over the legal limit, then he ends up killing 2 kids and injuring the father. Why should we have any sympathy for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

No!!!

Anyone can have an accident, fair enough, sh!t happens....but, if alcohol was involved and thats the reason for the crash, and killed two innocent people, throw the book at him. That could have been you, it could have been me....why feel sorry for him?

If no drink was involved, and he wasn't driving aggressively (which we don't know whether he was or not), then I'd feel sorry for him. Anyone can have an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its not like he is evil. Seriously the guilt, and being told you can never drive again should be enough...its not like he is a menace to society.

if it was just a road accident then yeah, but drove drunk AND without a license! Absolutely no pity for him. not a menace to society? i dunno, someone who breaks the law is one thing, but doing something this reckless which endangers Other peoples lives like this is just abhorrent imo. Pure selfish stupid behavior and he deserves more punishment then he'll probably get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

BTW, what the hell is a professional footballer doing without insurance? Sure, he might not be on Premiership wages, but he'd still earn considerably more in a month than your average person, what with his Range Rover and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The fact he was returning from a wedding at 5:45 am means he was probably well over the limit. What the fcuk would you be doing driving home from a wedding at that hour anyway? Take a room for the night.

He will almost certainly get jailtime but unfortunately that's no use to the family who've lost 2 young kids. Sounds like the dad is pretty badly injured too. Fractures to the neck and spine, could be bad.

And I'd agree with Y2J MUFC that it makes no sense for someone like him to be driving with no insurance either, no excuse at all for a guy who as a Plymouth first-teamer would be earning something in the region of 400K per year I'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sympathy for this gob****e? - no way!

The fact that the had no insurance goes some way to show that he had absolutely no respect for the law. 2 children are dead and a man is critically injured because of the actions of one selfish arsehole. He should be treated like any other in the circumstances, with contempt and jailed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

are you taking the piss?

You think a driving ban is punishment enough for killing two small children after getting pissed at a wedding and above all else having no insurance to top it off?

I would feel sorry for anyone this happens to, if they weren't driving carelesly and it was just a freak accident, it could happen to any one of us. But this wasn't the case.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Awww god, that second picture really makes you feel sorry:(

What a f**king muppet. Ruined his life and the life of four others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement