Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25yr old professional footballer arrested

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

awful, just well and truly awful.

There are no excuses for what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

SantryRed wrote: »
    Awww god, that second picture really makes you feel sorry:(

What a f**king muppet. Ruined his life and the life of four others.
    He ruined much more than 4 other peoples lives! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is "causing death by dangerous driving" a lesser charge than Manslaughter?

Anyone who drives while drunk is a twat.

Should be murder he is charged with, in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No sympathy for the man, I was knocked down a few months ago by an out of control drunk driving who was speeding, smashed into the back of a taxi and his back end spun onto the footpath and hit me and two others, was ****ing a merical that non of us were killed.

The second you get behind the wheel of a car with alcohol in your system you lose all rights to sympathy, if you top that off by speeding, you lose all rights to freedom, if you kill someone in a crash you should be sharded with vehicular manslaughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Any word on when the court case is due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Does nobody feel sorry for him?

Its not like he is evil. Seriously the guilt, and being told you can never drive again should be enough...its not like he is a menace to society.

Yea of course I feel sorry for him, its not like it was intentional and we have all made mistakes and have not suffered the consequences that this action has made but at the end of the day we all must take responsability for our actions and live with them !

Oh and comparing taking two lives with not being able to drive again is pretty silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I almost feel like this thread shouldn't exist. He made the decision, and yeah, you live with with it. Alcohol is not an excuse.
    All those pictures i saw in the paper today, they all exist because that bloke couldn't have been bothered getting a taxi. I know for a fact i would never do what he did so tough sh!t for him!!
    It was so sickening seeing him leaving the court a few weeks ago with his tracksuit top over his head (as if we wouldn't see photo's of what he looks like, being a pro keeper).
    He is scum! No sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7654430.stm
    Death crash footballer is jailed

A professional footballer has been jailed for seven years and four months for killing two children in a crash.

Former Plymouth Argyle goalkeeper Luke McCormick, 25, admitted causing the deaths of Arron Peak, 10, and Ben Peak, eight, and driving with excess alcohol.

The brothers, from Partington, Greater Manchester, died in a crash on the M6 in Staffordshire on 7 June.

Stoke Crown Court heard McCormick had driven "like an idiot". The boys' parents said they were scarred forever.

The court also heard McCormick, who was returning from a wedding, had ignored a plea from a friend to stop driving and pull over at services.

Friends and relatives of the boys' family jeered McCormick as he arrived at court.

In a victim impact statement the boys' parents, Philip and Amanda Peak, said their lives had been shattered by the accident.

Philip Peak remains in a wheelchair and wears a neckbrace. He suffered spinal and lung injuries in the crash and may need further surgery.

Mr and Mrs Peak said they were disappointed McCormick would be eligible for parole in three-and-a-half years' time.

"In court, his barrister spoke of the effect this case has had on Luke. We find this offensive.

"Phil will carry the scars of the incident for life. We will both carry the emotional scars forever," they said.

The court heard that when breathalysed McCormick was found to have 74 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

The legal limit is 35 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.

The brothers and their father Philip Peak, 37, were in a Toyota Previa with friends, travelling to Silverstone racetrack, when the crash happened.

Their car was involved in a collision with McCormick's Range Rover at about 0545 BST on the southbound carriageway of the motorway between junctions 15 and 16, near Keele services.

Mr Peak, 37, who was driving, was seriously injured in the crash.

McCormick kept his head bowed and covered his face with his hand as the court heard he had told eyewitnesses at the crash scene: "I am so sorry, I'm sorry. I just fell asleep. I fell asleep, I'm sorry."

Before the accident other motorists noticed him "driving like an idiot" and estimated his speed at around 90mph (144km/h).

In mitigation, John Jones told the court he had been on his way to "sort out his love life," when the crash happened.

'Speed and alcohol'

He had been at a teammate David Norris's wedding in Bolton when he became upset about rumours of his fiancee's alleged infidelity which had been posted on the internet.

He was seen drinking beer and downing shots of sambuca before leaving the reception at 0200 BST. He got two hours sleep before getting up and leaving for Coventry.

The court heard he ignored a telephone plea from his room-mate to stop driving and pull over at services.

McCormick, a former England youth international, had his contract with Championship side Plymouth cancelled by mutual consent a month after the crash.

He was disqualified from driving for four years for causing death by dangerous driving.

Sgt Steve Robinson of the Central Motorway Police Group said McCormick had nearly collided with several people before the crash took place.

"I am shocked at the speed and the alcohol," he said.

"If he had only stopped, this tragedy could have been avoided."

Good enough for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I say again I feel very sorry for him. Why did he have to be a ****ing idiot? He was and is probably a nice guy.

Now what I mean by sorry is that its not like he's a bad or evil person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What's the point in a four year driving ban if he'll be in prison anyway:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

I say again I feel very sorry for him. Why did he have to be a ****ing idiot? He was and is probably a nice guy.

Nice guy or not getting behind the Wheel while over the limit **no excuses imo**, its not like he couldn't afford the hotel room :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Drink driving is one thing, but drink driving at a tonne is plain crazy.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is what remained of the car which the kids were in, how their dad survived is a miracle in itself

article-1069770-02EAA78F00000578-633_468x325.jpg

And this was the damage done to McCormick's Range Rover
    article-1069770-02EAA79300000578-891_468x286.jpg

jesus christ/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I don't feel any sympathy for the guy. deserves everything he gets and more. He made his choices and ruined lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its a sad thing all around. The crazy thing is that jail is not going to do any good for anybody here. This young man made a serious mistake that cost lives and it is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.
    He did not mean to do anything wrong and thats clear. Unfortunately this is one of the results of alcohol abuse, there are many people who lose all sense of responsibility when they consume large amounts.
    The thing with jail is that a person like this is not likely to be a menace to society in the future so I don't see prison as a proper punishment for this sort of crime. Most people who are involved in something like this will never drink again and will certainly never drink drive again.

There has to be some better way to punish this person than put him in jail.

yeah thats what i mean. well explained eagle eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

for once, part of me agrees with eagle eye :(

its all very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its a sad thing all around. The crazy thing is that jail is not going to do any good for anybody here. This young man made a serious mistake that cost lives and it is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.
    He did not mean to do anything wrong and thats clear. Unfortunately this is one of the results of alcohol abuse, there are many people who lose all sense of responsibility when they consume large amounts.
    The thing with jail is that a person like this is not likely to be a menace to society in the future so I don't see prison as a proper punishment for this sort of crime. Most people who are involved in something like this will never drink again and will certainly never drink drive again.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I don't see why he should be sentenced any more harshly than someone else caught at the same blood-alcohol level who doesn't cause a crash. It's the same crime, just comes down to luck as to where other vehicles are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What use is punishment either? A ban from driving for life should of course be imposed as should a ban from alcohol since he can't seem to handle either (don't know how that could be imposed)!

It would be more useful to all if he did something to try prevent further incidents like this happening. Jail. Pfft. Seems to be the answer to all and no problems.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Its a sad thing all around. The crazy thing is that jail is not going to do any good for anybody here.
    If it encourages anyone to avoid acting with the kind of stupidity that he did, then it is doing good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I suppose the same can be said about the thousands of other people who made a 'mistake' and are jailed. This guy should not be treated any differently from mere mortals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I don't feel any sympathy for the guy. deserves everything he gets and more. He made his choices and ruined lives.

What he said. That moron has taken away the lives of 2 young children and has destroyed their family.

I suppose the same can be said about the thousands of other people who made a 'mistake' and are jailed. This guy should not be treated any differently from mere mortals.
    He is a mere mortal, who said anything differently? I'm talking about all these sort of situations, I'm not isolating one case. I have seen lads jailed who killed their best friends in drunken car accidents where the best friend was a passenger. Its heartbreaking stuff, it does not help anyone. I know a personal friend who lost his wife this way. He asked the judge not to jail the drunk driver but to give him something meaningful to do instead, but the judge jailed him anyways.
    I have had a lot of experience in dealing with these situations and I can tell you that jail does not help anybody. In some cases where the prison system is upside down as it is in this country its actually a bad thing. I know of two lads jailed for these sort of things who encountered hard drugs while in prison, one of them developed a serious drug problem which led to his incarceration again for possession of drugs. Surely this is all wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

What's wrong is killing people by drinking and driving.

We KNOW it is against the law, and we KNOW it is bloody dangerous. We are bombarded with advertising showing the carnage it can cause. Obviously this is not enough for some people. Chuck a lot more of them in prison, and maybe some other potential killers out there will think twice before downing a few and starting their engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Is'nt the limit in Ireland 80-micrograms? SO he would have been under limit here? I do feel sorry for all involved. What young man has'nt done stupid things ? The sleep deprevation and speed was probably more of a factor than the small amount of alcohol in his system. He has to take responsibility for his actions, anyone who is very tired or hungover should'nt be driving till they have rested etc. I think sleep deprevation, stress, speeding and using mobile phones are more irresponsible than driving with 75mg alcohol in bloodstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Is'nt the limit in Ireland 8-micrograms? SO he would have been under limit here? I do feel sorry for all involved. What young man has'nt done stupid things ? The sleep deprevation and speed was probably more of a factor than the small amount of alcohol in his system. He has to take responsibility for his actions, anyone who is very tired or hungover should'nt be driving till they have rested etc. I think sleep deprevation, stress, speeding and using mobile phones are more irresponsible than driving with 75mg alcohol in bloodstream.

It's 35mg per 100ml of breath - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/drink-driving-offences-in-ireland

Anything above 66mg per 100ml of breath, is a 3 year ban for first offence and up to 5,000 fine.

But thats without killing a bunch of kids :(

Is'nt the limit in Ireland 8-micrograms? SO he would have been under limit here? I do feel sorry for all involved. What young man has'nt done stupid things ? The sleep deprevation and speed was probably more of a factor than the small amount of alcohol in his system. He has to take responsibility for his actions, anyone who is very tired or hungover should'nt be driving till they have rested etc. I think sleep deprevation, stress, speeding and using mobile phones are more irresponsible than driving with 75mg alcohol in bloodstream.

The legal limit in ireland is 80 milligrammes per 100 ml of BLOOD.

It is 35 microgrammes per 100ml of BREATH.

Of course, why anyone would bother their hole even considering these numbers is beyond me. Simple way with no maths involved whatsoever; Don't drink and drive.

This guy killed two people. How anyone can feel any sympathy for him is beyond me. At some point people have to take responsibility for their actions. If he had to drink, he shouldn't drive. And if he can't handle his drink to the point where he is able to make proper decisions about driving or not, he should not drink at all.

He took two lives, there are tens of birthdays that will never happen, no secondary school experiences, no first kisses, no college experiences, no falling in love, no kids to bring home to granny and grandad, etc.

Sorry, no sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In some cases where the prison system is upside down as it is in this country its actually a bad thing. I know of two lads jailed for these sort of things who encountered hard drugs while in prison, one of them developed a serious drug problem which led to his incarceration again for possession of drugs. Surely this is all wrong.

You don't encounter hard drugs mate, you choose to take them. Like you choose to drink and you choose to drive.

Why didn't he encounter one of the many college courses or trades that prison offer, because he didn't choose to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bull****. He made a choice, when perfectly sober, to start drinking having drove to the pub. He made a choice, after 1 drink, which is the legal limit, to have another. He wasn't drunk at that stage.

If you ask me, he got off lightly. Should never ever be allowed drive ever again, and at least 5 years in jail. Maybe then people will be so ****ing terrified they won't drink a drop and drive, which is what they should be doing anyway.

PHB wrote: »
    Bull****. He made a choice, when perfectly sober, to start drinking having drove to the pub. He made a choice, after 1 drink, which is the legal limit, to have another. He wasn't drunk at that stage.

If you ask me, he got off lightly. Should never ever be allowed drive ever again, and at least 5 years in jail. Maybe then people will be so ****ing terrified they won't drink a drop and drive, which is what they should be doing anyway.
    I wrote out a long reply to this, but when you have dealt with both victims and the offenders for as long as I have and seen what happens on both sides, well I just cannot be bothered replying to rubbish like this.
    A very inexperienced uneducated post.

Boggles wrote: »
    You don't encounter hard drugs mate, you choose to take them. Like you choose to drink and you choose to drive.

Why didn't he encounter one of the many college courses or trades that prison offer, because he didn't choose to.
    LOl at this post. Again an inexperienced and clueless post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aquos76 wrote: »
    This is what remained of the car which the kids were in, how their dad survived is a miracle in itself

article-1069770-02EAA78F00000578-633_468x325.jpg

And this was the damage done to McCormick's Range Rover
    article-1069770-02EAA79300000578-891_468x286.jpg

The state of the two cars is fairly irrelevant in the way you are comparing. this wasnt a head on , he hit the car sending it off the road.

The above just seems like a tabloidy way of saying how a large 4x4 trundled , tank like , over a family car. He could well have been in a Corsa with the same results.

I wrote out a long reply to this, but when you have dealt with both victims and the offenders for as long as I have and seen what happens on both sides, well I just cannot be bothered replying to rubbish like this.
    Only scumbags, or total idiots

a. drink and drive
    b. take drugs like coke and heroin

scumbags who don't care about other people and go out and get behind a wheel of a car while intoxicated. it's easy, EVERYONE knows the risks associated.

idiots who don't heed the warnings and still do it. actually, they are scumbags too. in fact, they are ****. they are murderers, maimers, and deserve to be fúcking castrated. there is no defence, so get off the stage with your bleeding heart, it doesn't wash.

what kind of complete moron goes out and drives after taking a drink? i don't give a shiney shíte if his mother died the night before, you just don't do it. it takes a certain type of mentality to do something as stupid and ignorant as that. that type of person shouldn't have any kinf of freedom, they don't deserve it.

cúnts.

Should someone who did exactly as he did, but have the luck not to run into anything get the same punishment?

amacachi wrote: »
    Should someone who did exactly as he did, but have the luck not to run into anything get the same punishment?

Yes.

Getting behind a wheel of a car while drunk should be treated as attempted murder. Hitting someone or not.

Actually hitting and killing someone should be murder.

Because that's what it is.

The thing is, you are posting about your experience of offenders and victims, and that is fair enough, I have no idea what you're experience is, but I have to respect that you could have 30+ years as a prison educational worker, or god knows what.

However.

There are more stakeholders in a crime like this than just a victim and an offender. Society is a huge stakeholder, and that is why it is the public who are represented in court by a prosecutor, not the victim(s).

In this specific instance, will jail time do anything to ensure that this particular offender does not offend again? I would hazard a guess at no, that even without jail time, the prospect if this guy doing the very same thing again would have to be one in a million. I would also expect that he will feel no more remorse by going to prison than he would if he had not been given a custodial sentence.

In the case of the victim, will the offender receiving a jail sentence help them in any way to cope with their loss? I would be absolutely flabbergasted if it made much of a difference at all, their lives are already destroyed and there is very little you could do to make it better for them I would have thought.

But for the rest of society, the sentences that crimes carry should be sending out a strong message. In this case, do not drink and drive, you could kill someone, and you will pay for it with a custodial sentence. Not something to be sniffed at as I'm sure your experience will attest to.

So I think because of your experience with victims and offenders, perhaps you would find it harder to take a step back and have a cold look at the circumstances and the more general way in which these things affect society overall...? Given that the guy committed the crime, the need for society to send a clear message to stop this particularly heinous crime from happening again to someone else far outweighs the offender's right to a non-custodial sentence, imho.

WTF this has to do with soccer I have no idea.... sorry.

Des wrote: »
    Yes.

Getting behind a wheel of a car while drunk should be treated as attempted murder. Hitting someone or not.

Actually hitting and killing someone should be murder.

Because that's what it is.

I completely agree.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Only scumbags, or total idiots

a. drink and drive
    b. take drugs like coke and heroin

scumbags who don't care about other people and go out and get behind a wheel of a car while intoxicated. it's easy, EVERYONE knows the risks associated.

idiots who don't heed the warnings and still do it. actually, they are scumbags too. in fact, they are ****. they are murderers, maimers, and deserve to be fúcking castrated. there is no defence, so get off the stage with your bleeding heart, it doesn't wash.

what kind of complete moron goes out and drives after taking a drink? i don't give a shiney shíte if his mother died the night before, you just don't do it. it takes a certain type of mentality to do something as stupid and ignorant as that. that type of person shouldn't have any kinf of freedom, they don't deserve it.

cúnts.
    You quote me to say I have a bleeding heart. Well done, and the rest of your post does not surprise me. I could have predicted your response.

You could not be more wrong, although I suppose the way I speak makes me sound like one of the social workers or something like that that deals with criminals. Lol at that thought. But I do speak from experience. But I'm not a member of the 'wooly hat' brigade.

But I'm not a member of the 'wooly hat' brigade.

well then.

what should happen to the killers?

or do you deny they are killers?

spockety wrote: »
    The thing is, you are posting about your experience of offenders and victims, and that is fair enough, I have no idea what you're experience is, but I have to respect that you could have 30+ years as a prison educational worker, or god knows what.

However.

There are more stakeholders in a crime like this than just a victim and an offender. Society is a huge stakeholder, and that is why it is the public who are represented in court by a prosecutor, not the victim(s).

In this specific instance, will jail time do anything to ensure that this particular offender does not offend again? I would hazard a guess at no, that even without jail time, the prospect if this guy doing the very same thing again would have to be one in a million. I would also expect that he will feel no more remorse by going to prison than he would if he had not been given a custodial sentence.

In the case of the victim, will the offender receiving a jail sentence help them in any way to cope with their loss? I would be absolutely flabbergasted if it made much of a difference at all, their lives are already destroyed and there is very little you could do to make it better for them I would have thought.

But for the rest of society, the sentences that crimes carry should be sending out a strong message. In this case, do not drink and drive, you could kill someone, and you will pay for it with a custodial sentence. Not something to be sniffed at as I'm sure your experience will attest to.

So I think because of your experience with victims and offenders, perhaps you would find it harder to take a step back and have a cold look at the circumstances and the more general way in which these things affect society overall...? Given that the guy committed the crime, the need for society to send a clear message to stop this particularly heinous crime from happening again to someone else far outweighs the offender's right to a non-custodial sentence, imho.

WTF this has to do with soccer I have no idea.... sorry.

Firstly 30+ years not, 12 years would be accurate but I don't really want to talk about my role.
    Good post and all you say is very valid. I can look at it from afar also and I see your point.
    The deterrent of a sentence is what makes a lot of people not do something stupid.
    My point is that some people lose all sense of responsibility and these thoughts do not enter their heads after drinking a lot of alcohol. I seen in a post that this guy was downing shots and drinking beer and then got two hours sleep.
    While I understand the need for a deterrent in these circumstances and again you make a very valid point there, the fact remains that these individuals should not be incarcerated in the same institutions as those who are dealing drugs, raping women or kids, beating up women and kids, intentionally killing people or whatever else.
    The Irish prison system places this type of offender in with the drug dealers, addicts and other criminals and protects the paedophile/rapist from these criminals. This is all wrong.
    Personally I think a halfway house type system would be far better for this type of thing where the offender goes out to work during the day helping out in the community. That way he can do good and still be punished by being incarcerated from early evening until he goes to work the next day. If he does not conform with this system or breaks any of the rules then go ahead and throw him in with the other criminals.
    I could go into more detail but as you say this is a soccer forum.

Firstly 30+ years not, 12 years would be accurate but I don't really want to talk about my role.
    Good post and all you say is very valid. I can look at it from afar also and I see your point.
    The deterrent of a sentence is what makes a lot of people not do something stupid.
    My point is that some people lose all sense of responsibility and these thoughts do not enter their heads after drinking a lot of alcohol. I seen in a post that this guy was downing shots and drinking beer and then got two hours sleep.
    While I understand the need for a deterrent in these circumstances and again you make a very valid point there, the fact remains that these individuals should not be incarcerated in the same institutions as those who are dealing drugs, raping women or kids, beating up women and kids, intentionally killing people or whatever else.
    The Irish prison system places this type of offender in with the drug dealers, addicts and other criminals and protects the paedophile/rapist from these criminals. This is all wrong.
    Personally I think a halfway house type system would be far better for this type of thing where the offender goes out to work during the day helping out in the community. That way he can do good and still be punished by being incarcerated from early evening until he goes to work the next day. If he does not conform with this system or breaks any of the rules then go ahead and throw him in with the other criminals.
    I could go into more detail but as you say this is a soccer forum.

Hmmm, I don't know, it would want to take a fairly damn convincing argument to make me sway from thinking that someone who makes decision X, then decision Y, then decision Z which ultimately lead directly to the deaths of two people should get any sympathy whatsoever. And you haven't said much to convince me!

The state of the Irish prison system in general is another debate entirely, but this guy is going to prison in England and I have no idea if it's any better than you describe there than it is here. Having said that, for any would be drink driver, surely the thought of going to prison with rapists, murderers, and junkies should make you triple your efforts not to drink and drive...

Think about this, right now there are loads of people in Ireland who are going to be killed by drunk drivers in the next few years. And consequently, there are loads of people in Ireland right now who are going to drink and drive and kill someone in the next few years. Some of us here might even know them, victim or offender. It's ridiculous.

Your idea of half way house type rehabilitation with day release for work etc., sounds very nice, and I'd probably be in favour of it for non-violent offenders or low impact crimes (petty theft, etc.). But for someone who killed two kids through lack of responsibility...? Sorry, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote: »
    He was at a wedding. Heard that his fiance was having an affair. Went to bed at 2am. Got up after a couple of hours and then got in the car. Obviously no excuse but he certainly didn't make a sober decision to drink and drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He made a consious decision to drive over the limit, to drive when he should be sleeping and to drive over the speed limit. The motorway was practically empty so it takes a particular kind of arsehole to do what he done. He should stop the whinging and accept his punishment.

The amount of times I hear people saying 'but I had drink in me' as if it is somekind of get out of jail free card is unreal.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    He was at a wedding. Heard that his fiance was having an affair. Went to bed at 2am. Got up after a couple of hours and then got in the car. Obviously no excuse but he certainly didn't make a sober decision to drink and drive.

People who by consuming alcohol lose the control required to make the decision not to drive should not drink alcohol at all, or should not drink alcohol in any situation where they have a car available to them.

There is absolutely no excuse. He could have talked to his cheating fiancee in the morning, or by phone, or by getting a taxi down to her. That way he would not have killed two children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He made a consious decision to drive over the limit, to drive when he should be sleeping and to drive over the speed limit. The motorway was practically empty so it takes a particular kind of arsehole to do what he done. He should stop the whinging and accept his punishment.

The amount of times I hear people saying 'but I had drink in me' as if it is somekind of get out of jail free card is unreal.
    spockety wrote: »
    People who by consuming alcohol lose the control required to make the decision not to drive should not drink alcohol at all, or should not drink alcohol in any situation where they have a car available to them.

There is absolutely no excuse. He could have talked to his cheating fiancee in the morning, or by phone, or by getting a taxi down to her. That way he would not have killed two children.
    I was replying to PHB's post which said he drove to the pub. Nothing more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

At 3am on the 1st of April this year I was standing on a footpath on the dublin road halfway between Bonevalley Bridge and Atlone I.T. chatting to a friend when I was hit by a Honda civic.

The Driver was doing 96mph in a 60kph zone, he was 4 times over the leagle limit. he smacked into the back of a taxi, his car spud onto the footpath, the back left panel hit me on my left hand side at over 60pmh, I was thrown about 10 yards (I'm 5'10 and 16 ston). I was in hospital for 2 nights, I am still going through physio, I can't sleep properly because of the pain I still get in my back and legs, I'll never be able to play rugby again, I'll probably never be able to last even 60 mins of football again, I can't cycle for longer than 20 minutes.

He got a 3 year ban and a suspended sentence, I don't think that's very fair.

If I could get my hands on the **** I'd break his ****ing neck.

Luke McCormaick should be in jail for life right now, instead he gets 7 years and 4 months.
    Two kids are dead becaue some ****ing gobsh1te couldn't wait till the morning to find out is his missus was a slag or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

He should be shot.

Seaneh wrote: »
    He got a 3 year ban and a suspended sentence, I don't think that's very fair.

Not very fair? Fúcking disgrace if you ask me.

The scumbag
    Seaneh wrote: »
    If I could get my hands on the **** I'd break his ****ing neck.
    I'd go around with you.

But according to some people, he obviously has some "issues".

Bullshít he has issues.

He's a scumbag, plain and simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement